Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove for Uber in MN for a week and couldn't get the math to pencil, but there was no tipping at that point, nor any kickbacks. Also it was cold, and picking up people in downtown Minneapolis at bar close was a s***show.

I know the basics, car clean, offer water, don't be rude, etc. etc. I've lived here for 15 years and know the area well.

I've also been talking to a guy I work with who super emphasized not to pick anyone up directly on the Strip.

Specific questions:
1. Are there any specific pickups that are difficult to find or get the passengers to find?
2. How are airport pickups?
3. I am not excited about pickups or dropoffs north of Bonanza, any stories or tips?
4. I think I'm gonna try the tourist angle, I probably have to re-Scotchguard the car again though.

Feel free to give me any other tips as well.

· Banned
1,523 Posts
I drove for Uber in MN for a week and couldn't get the math to pencil, but there was no tipping at that point, nor any kickbacks. Also it was cold, and picking up people in downtown Minneapolis at bar close was a s***show.

I know the basics, car clean, offer water, don't be rude, etc. etc. I've lived here for 15 years and know the area well.

I've also been talking to a guy I work with who super emphasized not to pick anyone up directly on the Strip.

Specific questions:
1. Are there any specific pickups that are difficult to find or get the passengers to find?
2. How are airport pickups?
3. I am not excited about pickups or dropoffs north of Bonanza, any stories or tips?
4. I think I'm gonna try the tourist angle, I probably have to re-Scotchguard the car again though.

Feel free to give me any other tips as well.
Water you must be kidding.

· Premium Member
2,977 Posts
1. Don’t offer water
2. Don’t offer mints
3. Don’t offer chargers
4. Be rude when applicable
5. Don’t do any reach overs or massages
6. Don’t offer aux cables

If you do all of the above it equates to the same amount of tips.

I don’t drive in Vegas but I have read the Vegas posts and pretty much know where to pick up at each hotel.

I know airport trips are short unless you Long route (driver tried it with me which I let him know I am aware of what he was doing and just take the direct short route as I would be tipping cash).

Study the strip clubs and massage spots as they pay out. Yup that is in the Vegas forum.

Also, if I lived in the area I would try to network with the dispensaries and possibly work out a referal bonus for the people you drop. Possible barter some greenery. Lol

With all that said, study the Vegas forum.

· Registered
400 Posts
If your gonna have a prejudice north of bonanza ( and no I do not live in there) don't bother driving your already to uptight. If the drinks somewhere else in this country bothered you, than definetly do not drive between 8pm and 8 am here in Vegas. Remember most strip rides are under 4.00 so before you start banging your head and making illegal u turns it's not worth the ticket. I work mostly Henderson ( but I'm super parttime)

· Registered
811 Posts
There are to many p/u spots hard to find... use common sense....do yourself a favor and go to all strip hotels and find the p/u and drop spots they are very specific....,

Airports p/u are hit and miss..... mostly miss....making the airport your home is a loser....

North of Bonanza....don’t what to say to that....

It is almost impossible not to end up on the strip at some point get used to it.....daytime driving would seem to be your gig but what I’m reading.......

If you don’t do a dry run on the strip finding the p/u drop off spots you are doing yourself a big disservice....

· Registered
405 Posts
North of bonanza isn't that bad. Eastside Vegas is where the crazies are. Northwest is better than Northeast. I grew up in Vegas and lived everywhere but Summerlin. "North Vegas" is a myth created by people who don't bother going north of the 95. Only part of town to really avoid is Eastside, especially anything past nellis.

· Registered
2,808 Posts
The worst areas are just north of downtown Vegas and just east of the same area. Its all a mixed bag really. There is nothing but tourists on the strip and most want you to provide limo service. I like the locals better and start from my house in the west near Redrock. Go to the designated PU and leave if the timer hits the mark. Otherwise, they will keep you waiting. Always negotiate a big tip for the outskirts like Pahrump or Bolder as you will be most likely waiting hours for a ride if you get one or deadhead it to where you want to stage.

The airport is a mixed bag and most of it terrible. Resort to that if you have an angle or it's really slow. Yes, Pool and Line rides are losers and as illustrated recently you could get your head blown off.

I avoid the dead phone areas in North Las Vegas. Remember just bend over and say "Thank you sir, may I have another"

· Registered
282 Posts
If your gonna have a prejudice north of bonanza ( and no I do not live in there) don't bother driving your already to uptight.
yeah you're right my life is worthless

North of bonanza isn't that bad. Eastside Vegas is where the crazies are. Northwest is better than Northeast. I grew up in Vegas and lived everywhere but Summerlin. "North Vegas" is a myth created by people who don't bother going north of the 95. Only part of town to really avoid is Eastside, especially anything past nellis.
oh please i lived torrey pines and lake mead. that shit had cops every ****ing day all day long. another kid killed or shot or jumped. granted it has been almost 20yrs since then but i doubt it has changed much. even when i lived at sahara and lamb there was much bullshit. every place in this city is safe to a degree, hell i can walk around ghettos in CA for hours without anything happening but doesnt mean in the long run its safe. especially if you go outside and do things... most people hide in their home in bad neighborhoods.

now i refuse to live anywhere but green valley summerlin or anthem. only noises i want to hear is ambulances coming to pick up old dead people.

· Registered
400 Posts

oh please i lived torrey pines and lake mead. that shit had cops every &%[email protected]!*ing day all day long. another kid killed or shot or jumped. granted it has been almost 20yrs since then but i doubt it has changed much. even when i lived at sahara and lamb there was much bullshit. every place in this city is safe to a degree, hell i can walk around ghettos in CA for hours without anything happening but doesnt mean in the long run its safe. especially if you go outside and do things... most people hide in their home in bad neighborhoods.

now i refuse to live anywhere but green valley summerlin or anthem. only noises i want to hear is ambulances coming to pick up old dead people.
Those are great opinions, but like I said picking up passengers is probably not the job for you as you will always end up on those neighborhoods you just mentioned. Think about your market, who doesn't have vehicles and will be requesting rides? Good luck to you. I just picked up a ride at horizon and 95 near black mountain it went north 5th

· Registered
282 Posts
Those are great opinions, but like I said picking up passengers is probably not the job for you as you will always end up on those neighborhoods you just mentioned. Think about your market, who doesn't have vehicles and will be requesting rides? Good luck to you. I just picked up a ride at horizon and 95 near black mountain it went north 5th
I see where you are mistaken.

· Registered
405 Posts

oh please i lived torrey pines and lake mead. that shit had cops every &%[email protected]!*ing day all day long. another kid killed or shot or jumped. granted it has been almost 20yrs since then but i doubt it has changed much. even when i lived at sahara and lamb there was much bullshit. every place in this city is safe to a degree, hell i can walk around ghettos in CA for hours without anything happening but doesnt mean in the long run its safe. especially if you go outside and do things... most people hide in their home in bad neighborhoods.

I lived on Lamb and I15. In that neighborhood the kids were the ones shooting and killing. If you've ever lived near craig and Nellis you know what ghetto is, especially east of nellis. What you described was a slow day in my neighborhood. Used to walk at night and only had coyotes to worry about. Section 8 good rats moved after Walmart closed and couldn't go out after sunset because of gunshots in the neighborhood every night. Come home from work every night wondering if I'd get grazed by a stray bullet from a bad drug deal. You think Lake Mead and Torrey Pines was bad.

· Premium Member
292 Posts
One of these days, I'm going to write a guide for new drivers. It will probably be banned, but drivers need to hear it how it is. It's the new, naive drivers that are being exploited the most.

· Registered
282 Posts
I lived on Lamb and I15. In that neighborhood the kids were the ones shooting and killing. If you've ever lived near craig and Nellis you know what ghetto is, especially east of nellis. What you described was a slow day in my neighborhood. Used to walk at night and only had coyotes to worry about. Section 8 good rats moved after Walmart closed and couldn't go out after sunset because of gunshots in the neighborhood every night. Come home from work every night wondering if I'd get grazed by a stray bullet from a bad drug deal. You think Lake Mead and Torrey Pines was bad.
wow you really trying to play the worst neighborhood in vegas?> you're a ****** lol. the worst for me was probably when i lived off mlk and cheyenne but it was only for a few months so i dont really count it and it wasnt really that bad either... i just know shit happens there a LOT more than it happens in other areas. why put yourself at risk? these shit neighborhoods are not big. go 2miles in any direction and you're out of it. and like i said i only work at night, so driving 3miles only takes a few mins opposed to you people that deal with traffic all day.

· Premium Member
772 Posts
If your gonna have a prejudice north of bonanza ( and no I do not live in there) don't bother driving your already to uptight. If the drinks somewhere else in this country bothered you, than definetly do not drive between 8pm and 8 am here in Vegas. Remember most strip rides are under 4.00 so before you start banging your head and making illegal u turns it's not worth the ticket. I work mostly Henderson ( but I'm super parttime)
I understand that the R/S market is oversaturated, but trying to get this poor guy killed by sending him to the ghetto seems like a step too far

At the very least, those rides are full of problems and they never tip

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.