Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard of or gotten a request from them before? Apparently they are a 3rd-party that help elderly non-tech savvy people get Uber rides and charge a $0.19/min from the second the request is made until the trip is over.

Would you accept a request from these guys? Do you think they are taking advantage of the drivers?

Apparently they plan on expanding into UberEats and other platforms as well...

https://gogograndparent.com/

Font Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would you accept a request from these guys? Do you think they are taking advantage of the drivers?
I think so.

What the senior is paying for is being able to order an Uber using their familiar landline phone, by talking to a human being. They don't need an iPhone, data plan, app, etc. They don't need to see a text from a driver and respond to it. They're paying for that experience.

For you as the driver, it's a pretty normal pickup. You go where the app says, and someone calls you to give you any extra details (gate codes or whatever) that you need. They stay on the line with you until you've found your old person, and they stay on the line with the old person until you're outside their house, so there's less risk that a bad pin sends you to the wrong location.

The way I look at it, if that old person had an iPhone and requested me thru the Uber app I'd go pick them up, and probably help get their bag into the boot if they needed it. It'd be just a regular pickup. The fact that the old person in question doesn't have an iPhone and is willing to pay someone else to book it for them doesn't change much for me.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Just sounds like another fee (this $.19/min) that drivers will never see. I think the big thing we are all missing is that Gogo can apparently swing call centers in the US for a measly $.19/min?! Step up your game Uber!

The main reason I will avoid/cancel these if they come up as I try to minimize the rides I do where the person rating never meets me in person and that is all this is. The idea of being rated by some call center doof based on the experience of an elderly rider who is probably ignorant of Uber and how the rating system affects drivers' status... What could go wrong? Yea, I'll take a pass on these. Like orangepresident says, I am tired of all these parasites making an easy buck off of drivers who make peanuts. It is obscene to me honestly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This video doesn't really show all of the other implied extra service and care that they set as expectations for their customers, and then point out that tipping isn't required in their marketing materials. I'm not going to work more for the same amount of compensation. Their business model is flawed in that it doesn't include a payment to the drivers.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This video doesn't really show all of the other implied extra service and care that they set as expectations for their customers, and then point out that tipping isn't required in their marketing materials. I'm not going to work more for the same amount of compensation. Their business model is flawed in that it doesn't include a payment to the drivers.
Couldn't agree more.. I feel like they are also over charging for being a middle middle man (yes I said that twice)... With Uber being the first middle man connecting drivers to pax and now they wish to charge $0.19/min for requesting a ride for an individual while we the drivers are expected to get out of our cars and open doors and help with groceries and drive thru traffic.

It would be better if they spent the $$ on hiring individual drivers that are trained to go the extra mile for the elderly individuals. Run independent background and driving history checks on them and all that.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Wow, Uber drivers are so badly paid that a second-tier middleman company can make a margin off you. I'm guessing the ping doesn't say "gogograndparents" on the account name so you know to ignore it.
It actually does, from what I hear. Or it's says GoGo, or GoGoGrand, but yes, it is requested using a GoGoGrandparent account. It's a brilliant service idea, great thinking outside the box for filling a need in the market but if there's extra work for the drivers, there should be a reasonable attempt to tip the driver. Perhaps if a driver accepted a GoGo pickup and they call the driver, they would offer say.. $3 tip for fulfilling the request, invoice them through Square with a payment code or something...

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
Wow, Uber drivers are so badly paid that a second-tier middleman company can make a margin off you. I'm guessing the ping doesn't say "gogograndparents" on the account name so you know to ignore it.
Pimping from a pimp. The worst part is when the elderly fall out of a vehicle and break their hip the only party responsible will be the driver.
Exploiting Uber drivers is so easy that everyone is wanting a piece of that driver ignorance.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
It is, they can pay the regular uber fee, make a profit from the old person and still it's a lot cheaper than a cab.

It might be good in slow markets where there are so many drivers that they only do a few rides a day.

When I worked for a taxi/car service we had a lot of older people but only a few needed help when they had a walker or something. I think the generation of women who never drove is almost dead. My mother and several of my friends mothers never drove. But we had really nice mostly older ladies and they always tipped. Some were the ones that still went to the beauty parlor once a week to get their cotton candy hair done.

Pimping from a pimp. The worst part is when the elderly fall out of a vehicle and break their hip the only party responsible will be the driver.
Exploiting Uber drivers is so easy that everyone is wanting a piece of that driver ignorance.
Drag them away from the car and say they fell after they got out.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
It is, they can pay the regular uber fee, make a profit from the old person and still it's a lot cheaper than a cab.
Won't be surprised to see a headline in the news that states; GoGoGrandparent sues DoDoDriver for missing dialysis appt. The stupidity of some people is starting to amaze me.
I wonder if I can start a rideshare program in which the drivers pay me for the opportunity to be good deed doers.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Won't be surprised to see a headline in the news that states; GoGoGrandparent sues DoDoDriver for missing dialysis appt. The stupidity of some people is starting to amaze me.
I wonder if I can start a rideshare program in which the drivers pay me for the opportunity to be good deed doers.
You can't sue someone unless they guarantee you that they will get you there by a certain time, even if you have a reservation, things happen. When I drove a cab there were times where we were backed up due to a breakdown of a car or a driver got caught in a traffic jam, You can't sue unless you are guaranteed ahead of time to get you there by a certain time. One time a poor older lady got to her doctors appointment a little late and her doctor was one of those mean ones that was on the dot and told her she couldn't see her, but she would have to still pay for the appointment.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
You can't sue someone unless they guarantee you that they will get you there by a certain time, even if you have a reservation, things happen. When I drove a cab there were times where we were backed up due to a breakdown of a car or a driver got caught in a traffic jam, You can't sue unless you are guaranteed ahead of time to get you there by a certain time. One time a poor older lady got to her doctors appointment a little late and her doctor was one of those mean ones that was on the dot and told her she couldn't see her, but she would have to still pay for the appointment.
The news headline thing was for a little humor.

·
Registered
349 Posts
One time this happened to me. I saw GoGo for the name. I got a text saying I was picking up a client. With the name "GoGo" and picking up a "client" I thought for sure the person that ordered it was a stripper/hooker and I was picking up a John lol. This isn't just for elderly. It's for anybody that doesn't have a smartphone or any other way to order it. It's for this reason I will never pick a person up again using this because you have zero safety net.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Well you could, but Travis has already beaten you to the punch lad. @+/-$1/mi, most Uber X drivers are doing little more than what amounts to community service.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.