Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so anyone got any tricks to making the tightarsed Perth riders to tip?
I know it's not really part of culture here but always worth a shot right?
Some subtle way of making the pax feel shit if they don't tip..
Hmm

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cancellation fares. Hide around the corner if no other cars nearby. Take your $6.40 and then cancel. Re-accept the trip and you tip yourself. Easy.
It's bad enough the pax saw u park around the corner on there GPS just to cancel for $6:40 .
Reaccepting the trip is just cheeky.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hmm
Think about it - that's just another of Uber's ways of keeping drivers down.

People tip when they pay with cash. They'll generally round it up to the nearest $5 (ie to avoid coins).

As you've noticed, it's a nice gesture from the passenger, and helps to offset the negative emotions that result from crap passengers.

With EFTPOS/electronic payment, there is almost no tipping. Heck, Uber could make it part of the app if they wanted to.

But nah, Uber isn't about showing or creating any form of appreciation for the driver.

Uber tells passengers that they don't need to tip. They don't say that it's optional, appreciated, etc.

If ever there was an example of how two-faced and nasty corporate America can be, it's Uber.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
this guy worked it out plus its a great laugh

https://uberpeople.net/threads/solved-the-tipping-problem-for-me.5340/

As I've stated before, roughly 80% of my customers are shit faced. I know that asking them to tip can get us in trouble. The way I see it, my passengers probably won't even know the difference. So I've come up with, what I believe, a genius way of getting them to tip. I stole this tip jar (it was empty when I took it) at a bar yesterday evening before my shift. I've placed it into one of my drink holders. I pick up most people from bars and I figure they have been looking at these type of tip jars all night and know exactly how they work. Once the ride ends, they'll just throw a couple bucks in the jar like they've been doing all night at the bar! It'll just be old habit for them. They're not going to remember to call and report me. I CAN'T WAIT for tonight's shift. Monday Night Football and bar drunks! I've even baited the jar with a couple/three dollars. If I get "pinged" at a non-bar location...I just hide the jar in my console. Show me the MONEY!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ben Hall let us know how you go.

Phildo, I agree that the no cash handling gig has dissecarated any chance of tipping, I've only ever got tipped twice, and they weren't from rich suburbs either. those yuppies and rich ones in Dalkeith etc are tightarses with attitude problems

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
this guy worked it out plus its a great laugh

https://uberpeople.net/threads/solved-the-tipping-problem-for-me.5340/

As I've stated before, roughly 80% of my customers are shit faced. I know that asking them to tip can get us in trouble. The way I see it, my passengers probably won't even know the difference. So I've come up with, what I believe, a genius way of getting them to tip. I stole this tip jar (it was empty when I took it) at a bar yesterday evening before my shift. I've placed it into one of my drink holders. I pick up most people from bars and I figure they have been looking at these type of tip jars all night and know exactly how they work. Once the ride ends, they'll just throw a couple bucks in the jar like they've been doing all night at the bar! It'll just be old habit for them. They're not going to remember to call and report me. I CAN'T WAIT for tonight's shift. Monday Night Football and bar drunks! I've even baited the jar with a couple/three dollars. If I get "pinged" at a non-bar location...I just hide the jar in my console. Show me the MONEY!!!
some drunk would prob steal it!!! or if you are still giving out "individually wrapped mints" prob (if youre lucky) use it as a wrapper bin.....

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
some drunk would prob steal it!!! or if you are still giving out "individually wrapped mints" prob (if youre lucky) use it as a wrapper bin.....
I pasted what Doyle Hargraves posted in a thread ages ago.

Love it when he had a couple of beers to settle his nerves on his first night.

As to having his tip jar stolen, he would probably pull a gun on them

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It's bad enough the pax saw u park around the corner on there GPS just to cancel for $6:40 .
Reaccepting the trip is just cheeky.
Nah. pax deserve paying an extra $6.40 makes up for the fare reduction.

Whocaresaboutpax they are your minion. RIP THEM OFF.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmm
Pax get outa my car and as they get out say im giving you 5 stars. They think that replaces a tip with a big smile on their faces. Thought about placing a tip jar on my console with a load of stars in it

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't bother ,it will just infuriate u having it sit there empty ,cause Perth riders are tight regardless of how rich some are.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't bother ,it will just infuriate u having it sit there empty ,cause Perth riders are tight regardless of how rich some are.
Well at least it will have 1 star in it which is my usual rating at the moment when i talk to pax about pay lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Tipping is the American way (yes, i know Uber is a Dutch company) - their whole economy is based on workers being paid very low wages and making up the difference with tips. It is suiting Uber perfectly to have Australian drivers try to get tips to make up their earnings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts