Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive around Orlando and while it's mostly tourist and middle to upper class it does have a large ghetto. Often times late at night when I'm parked off somewhere waiting for a ping whether its at a gas station or a shopping area parking lot I often get paranoid about the police harassing me.

I have nothing illegal in my car and nothing to hide but sometimes when I'm just sitting in my car looking all suspicious I start to get paranoid then I drive off and end up wasting gas on dead miles..

So, has anyone ever been hassled by the cops?

Do you tell them you're ubering or what do/would you say?

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Be nice and friendly should one approach you. Make friends with them, cause one day they may let you off on an illegal U turn. Just sayin.

Plus if you keep your trade dress showing, they will figure you out and may never approach you.

Reactions: SECOTIME

·
Registered
344 Posts
So you've never actually been hassled by cops, you're just paranoid that's going to happen? As we're Uber drivers, not psychotherapists, there's not a lot of help you're going to find here for your psychological disorder. I don't mean to sound rude, but that's what you're asking us to do here. How are we supposed to make you feel better about a phobia that you have?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you've never actually been hassled by cops, you're just paranoid that's going to happen? As we're Uber drivers, not psychotherapists, there's not a lot of help you're going to find here for your psychological disorder. I don't mean to sound rude, but that's what you're asking us to do here. How are we supposed to make you feel better about a phobia that you have?
LOL, really?

I'm simply asking others to share their experiences or opinions about cops. If you don't have anything to contribute then why waste your time? I know youtube is always accepting new trolls.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Maybe in Portland Oregon people aren't paranoid about cops, but considering cops seem to be killing Americans at a greater rate than ISIS or Al-Quada I'd be worried about cops, especially since I don't know who stashed what under my seat during the day.

If I were African American in the South, you're damn right I'd be paranoid about the cops wondering why I'm "casing the joint" at the mall at 2AM.

·
Registered
344 Posts
LOL, really?

I'm simply asking others to share their experiences or opinions about cops. If you don't have anything to contribute then why waste your time? I know youtube is always accepting new trolls.
If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have no reason to be afraid of cops. Cops also cannot come and roust you away from an area you are legally parked and waiting. Yes, your paranoia is a phobia.

·
Premium Member
8,761 Posts
If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have no reason to be afraid of cops. Cops also cannot come and roust you away from an area you are legally parked and waiting. Yes, your paranoia is a phobia.
Dude, I'm middle aged white bread in a dowdy sedan and I know that isn't true. I've been stopped, checkpointed, interrogated, lied to and yes threatened by cops who are trying a little too hard late at night. Not to mentioned followed for a mile or two while they run plates. Hunters have to hunt, I get that. Most of the stops I have had have been cordial affairs that get dropped as soon as I tell them I drive Uber, a few are ******** though. Given recent documented events, I can certainly understand why folks of a darker persuasion than myself have good reason to fear the police, it's not paranoia when there's documented mistreatment.

·
Premium Member
8,761 Posts
You have seen the race and color of the OP? Where did I miss that at?
2 things, I was making a commentary about even my unease with cops at night and also making a guess based on the OP's name. Might be inaccurate, we can ask him (oh wait, just presumed his sex based on his name) , the point being that when someone stops you late at night with no one else around, they have complete and total power over you which frankly is a little scary.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Maybe in Portland Oregon people aren't paranoid about cops, but considering cops seem to be killing Americans at a greater rate than ISIS or Al-Quada I'd be worried about cops, especially since I don't know who stashed what under my seat during the day.

If I were African American in the South, you're damn right I'd be paranoid about the cops wondering why I'm "casing the joint" at the mall at 2AM.
Let's try this: If I were doing something wrong, then I'd be paranoid about the cops. Sheesh. Ferguson isn't in the South. And the Port Authority isn't in the South. What a stupid stereotype from an ignorant.

Reactions: Renaldow

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
He told me to curb the passengers when I'm picking up,

My fear factor of getting pulled over when I see a cop is like .004%.

Another William1964 fact. I spend an awful lot of time in the courthouse. Its way above average for normal people. The reasons have changed in 25 years.

I also know that New Jersey is the un safest place to walk on the sidewalk. I just do. There are more accidents per capita involving people getting hit by cars walking on the sidewalk than any other state.

Once my parents passed away the main source of fear and punishment we're gone.

I have nothing to hide. Let them spy and follow people around. I'll help. I'm all for it yeah I still have complaints with Congress

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drive around Orlando and while it's mostly tourist and middle to upper class it does have a large ghetto. Often times late at night when I'm parked off somewhere waiting for a ping whether its at a gas station or a shopping area parking lot I often get paranoid about the police harassing me.

I have nothing illegal in my car and nothing to hide but sometimes when I'm just sitting in my car looking all suspicious I start to get paranoid then I drive off and end up wasting gas on dead miles..

So, has anyone ever been hassled by the cops?

Do you tell them you're ubering or what do/would you say?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have your Uber Sticker displayed on your window, they should know what your doing. Most of the police I have worked with, really enjoy what were doing for the city, and the amount of would be DUI drivers we are taking home. If they approach you, just explain what your doing, and they will be cool with you. Trust me, they know where you are, and what your up to, many of them you'll never see until they pull you over.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Really? Every day? Guilty people aren't even killed every day. Look at stats, police killings are actually down and have been steadily falling. Media coverage and social media coverage is way up. But this is all beside the point. He's talking about being hassled by police for being parked legally, and you have him being killed by police for innocently sitting in his car. You are hyperbole personified. Why not bring in a meteor to crush his car while you're at it? That's also possible and equally hyperbolic.

2 things, I was making a commentary about even my unease with cops at night and also making a guess based on the OP's name. Might be inaccurate, we can ask him (oh wait, just presumed his sex based on his name) , the point being that when someone stops you late at night with no one else around, they have complete and total power over you which frankly is a little scary.
See, you used a name to guess sex, that works sometimes. With race, not so much. What's my race? My point is, if you, the OP, or anyone else is scared about a possible situation that may happen, then don't put yourself in that situation. If you are scared about being alone late at night in your car, don't be alone late at night in your car. Be at home where you have a different perception of safety. Find a safer job. Do this job at different times of the day in a different area. Problem solved! No more fear.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im white as snow

·
Registered
971 Posts
Really? Every day? Guilty people aren't even killed every day. Look at stats, police killings are actually down and have been steadily falling. Media coverage and social media coverage is way up. But this is all beside the point. He's talking about being hassled by police for being parked legally, and you have him being killed by police for innocently sitting in his car. You are hyperbole personified. Why not bring in a meteor to crush his car while you're at it? That's also possible and equally hyperbolic.
I looked at the stats. More than 5000 civilians have been killed by police since 9-11, check the links in my original post. Let's see, 365 days a year, 10 years is 3650 and we're over 5000, so that means to me, every single day without hyperbole.

Given that the police do not have the power to determine guilt or innocence, and according to the U.S. Constitution we are all innocent until proven guilty, that means the police are killing innocent civilians.

Excuse me, I will now drop the mic and walk off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts