Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up just before the they change from 20% to 25% cut. I drove it for few weeks and stopped doing it.

My daughter was born about 3 month ago, and I could use some extra money to cover some expenses.

My question is how different is Uber now than the before? I had no uber pool, no uber eat, it was just simple uberX. I only come out on the weekends from 10am to 6pm roughly, make about $150-200 a day. Can I still make about the same money right now? Or is there any tips on when to come out for the best profit, or not to do certain things or any sort of tips?

Also, do I have to inform my insurance company about doing uber? Since I only do maybe 2 days a week or less, will they jack up my price to a point its no worth it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
19,597 Posts
"how different is Uber now than the before?"

Very different, more saturation, more different types of trips, need HST number to collect&remit hst, gas is now higher too.

"Can I still make about the same money right now?"
So you looking to make $18.75-$25 /hr... yeah 20 is doable over the weekend, now this is gross. Keep in mind the gross now includes the HST so whatever the app shows you take out the 13% right off the bat, then your usual expenses of running the vehicle.

"any tips on when to come out for the best profit"... I haven't found any really, you got more destination now, but profits I find pretty random. Could have good days, could have bad days.

"Also, do I have to inform my insurance company about doing uber?" yes, not enforced though, but highly recommended if you want to be properly insured, otherwise they will not cover you and cancel the policy (search threads on that topic it was discussed extensively).

"will they jack up my price to a point its noworth it?" each insurance differs, there are some that don't insure uber, and some that do with no increase. Again, search forum for details.

Lastly I will leave you with "how much is Uber offering you to give up the priceless family time that you will never get back with your newborn daughter?" :)

Personally I find it not worth it doing it long hours... 90% i use it for to/from work, and on a way to the mall/stores etc. Sometimes I will do weekends or evening, about 4 hrs a day, but not that often.

Good luck & congrats on the newborn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Very different, more saturation, more different types of trips, need HST number to collect&remit hst, gas is now higher too.

So you looking to make $18.75-$25 /hr... yeah 20 is doable over the weekend, now this is gross. Keep in mind the gross now includes the HST so whatever the app shows you take out the 13% right off the bat, then your usual expenses of running the vehicle.

"any tips on when to come out for the best profit"... I haven't found any really, you got more destination now, but profits I find pretty random. Could have good days, could have bad days.

"Also, do I have to inform my insurance company about doing uber?" yes, not enforced though, but highly recommended if you want to be properly insured, otherwise they will not cover you and cancel the policy (search threads on that topic it was discussed extensively).

"will they jack up my price to a point its noworth it?" each insurance differs, there are some that don't insure uber, and some that do with no increase. Again, search forum for details.

Lastly I will leave you with "how much is Uber offering you to give up the priceless family time that you will never get back with your newborn daughter?" :)

Personally I find it not worth it doing it long hours... 90% i use it for to/from work, and on a way to the mall/stores etc. Sometimes I will do weekends or evening, about 4 hrs a day, but not that often.

Thanks for all the good information bud!

"need HST number to collect&remit hst" how do I get a HST number?

"how much is Uber offering you to give up the priceless family time that you will never get back with your newborn daughter?" This is what I have been struggling about. I wasn't thinking to do full days on weekends. Maybe like a Friday and Saturday night for 4 hours each? I heard Friday and Satruday night are better. So if I can make 200 buck total for the 2 nights I am happy. And that won't take too much time away from my newborn daughter since she would be sleeping at that time anyways.

·
Premium Member
19,597 Posts

"need HST number to collect&remit hst" how do I get a HST number?
CRA website. I believe Uber website also has a step by step how to obtain the hst number. Ensure you set that money aside from each payout so it won't be a surprise when the remittance time comes.

"how much is Uber offering you to give up the priceless family time that you will never get back with your newborn daughter?" This is what I have been struggling about. I wasn't thinking to do full days on weekends. Maybe like a Friday and Saturday night for 4 hours each? I heard Friday and Satruday night are better. So if I can make 200 buck total for the 2 nights I am happy. And that won't take too much time away from my newborn daughter since she would be sleeping at that time anyways.
Yeah that's quite doable on Fri/Sat. Just don't let it suck the life out of you :) ... I personally don't do nights (After 11pm) because don't wanna deal with that kind of crowd.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Uber is far less profitable than ever. You will have to collect HST and report everything to CRA. Inspections, snow tires are necessary. There's nothing dependable about Uber. Not worth investing any resources in imo.

Don't forget Uber is a dangerous job, check out stats on cab driving accidents assaults. Most Uber drivers earn well below a min wage after accounting for all expenses and real time spent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol guys we all know we r not getting 2000 bucks a day for driving uber, maybe 200buck if I'm lucky.

I just want some advice for what to expect now a days, since it is much different than when I started. I have inspection already done, I always put on snow tires on winter season anyways.
I just need some extra cash to pay for my extra expenses. And my best bet is Uber since its flexible, I can choose time that will not affect my family time too much.

Appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts

Very Well Said ! Let's hope he follows your advice.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
lol guys we all know we r not getting 2000 bucks a day for driving uber, maybe 200buck if I'm lucky.

I just want some advice for what to expect now a days, since it is much different than when I started. I have inspection already done, I always put on snow tires on winter season anyways.
I just need some extra cash to pay for my extra expenses. And my best bet is Uber since its flexible, I can choose time that will not affect my family time too much.

Appreciated.
If you're looking for a bit of extra cash on the side with flexibility to take care of your newborn then Uber is perfect. You won't get rich but working 4 hours on Fri-Sat each like you said could net you about $150 on average. It won't hurt to try it out. You can even put a pic of your baby in the car to get some extra tips, it might work..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts