Uber Drivers Forum banner

Geico rideshare insurance ?

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Sariandan 
#1 ·
Greetings from Florida .......
As of yesterday, July 20th - GEICO decided to finally come out with their version of ride share insurance for our state. Many of us in FL have been sneak-Uber driving on our personal policies, since no one offered a ride share policy here before.

GEICO is offering a different version from other companies, where they convert their personal policies to a commercial policy as needed. It's supposed to be a " commercial-lite ", for lack of a better description. The problem is, they are vague with giving an estimated price range. UNLESS you request a formal price quote.
Now if you DO that, they will KNOW you're ride-share driving. If their quote is ridiculously high and you don't accept it - they will simply drop you as a customer from the personal auto insurance policy. So, I don't want to show my cards, not just yet. I want to get quotes from other companies first. You know, Plan B.

So the question for you - in YOUR state ( which has apparently had GEICO ride share for a while ... ) - Has anyone gotten a quote, or converted a GEICO personal auto policy ? What was your experience ? Please share - your florida neighbors need to know ........

#2 ·
Geico sucks. What you've stated is completely incorrect. All you have to do is call and say you're thinking about signing up and want to decide if it'll be worth it after expenses.

The cost for commercial vs reg is about double. NOT worth it if you aren't giving a lot of rides per month. Allstate also offers it. Same thing. About double the regular rate. Take my word on this: if you are driving, get the insurance, because eventually something WILL happen and then chaos will ensue. Stop driving or get the right insurance.

#4 ·
Its been a while since I've been on UP since I stopped delivering for Amazon in NY when I moved to Florida last year. I had to cancel my policy for NY and buy a regular policy in Florida. I shopped around but stuck with what I had.

My wife and I have a baby on the way so I signed back up with Uber and Amazon last week to make some extra $$$. On a side note, Im not sure if UBER or Amazon is working with them directly in Florida but I've been getting insurance rideshare ads on my phone ever since I signed up with Uber last week. No biggie... Just weird. Any tips on driving for Uber or Amazon in Miami, please hit me up. I start next week.

The new rideshare policy was about $40 more a month than my regular insurance policy (not too bad for full coverage on 2016 Camry). I had to call in to buy the new policy and since my wife's car isn't used for rideshare they let me keep my regular policy too.

I had an accident delivering for Amazon on my old rideshare policy in NY and it took about a week for them to cut me a check with no issues so I think the $40 is well worth it. Something just doesn't feel right to have the Ubers of the world decide whether to cover a claim or not.

I can only speak to my experience and so far as this is the only company that Ive found that has agents experienced in rideshare insurance and Amazon delivery. It feels like the other insurance companies couldn't care less so you get different answers and half a$$ insurance... Pardon the language...Rant over.

#5 ·
Its been a while since I've been on UP since I stopped delivering for Amazon in NY when I moved to Florida last year. I had to cancel my policy for NY and buy a regular policy in Florida. I shopped around but stuck with them.

My wife and I have a baby on the way so I signed back up with Uber and Amazon last week to make some extra $$$. On a side note, Im not sure if UBER or Amazon is working with them directly in Florida but I've been getting insurance rideshare ads on my phone ever since I signed up with Uber last week. No biggie... Just weird. Any tips on driving for Uber or Amazon in Miami, please hit me up. I start next week.

The new rideshare policy was about $40 more a month than my regular insurance policy (not too bad for full coverage on 2016 Camry). I had to call in to buy the new policy and since my wife's car isn't used for rideshare they let me keep my regular policy too.

I had an accident delivering for Amazon on my old rideshare policy in NY and it took about a week for them to cut me a check with no issues so I think the $40 is well worth it. Something just doesn't feel right to have the Ubers of the world decide whether to cover a claim or not.

I can only speak to my experience and so far as this is the only company that Ive found that has agents experienced in rideshare insurance and Amazon delivery. It feels like the other insurance companies couldn't care less so you get different answers and half a$$ insurance... Pardon the language...Rant over.
Thank you so much ! Your response is the type of information I was hoping to get. Well thought-out, analytical - I have a 2013 Corolla, and I will be turning 65 in a few weeks. No accidents or tickets, so I am guessing I'll get a similar result.

Thanks again .........

Sunchaser !

#6 ·
I've asked here in Georgia and always received a quote slightly less than my regular insurance with State Farm. Wife won't let me change, though, because of tenure with SF.

#7 ·
I just got a Geico policy for $1500'ish per year. Had Progressive, but they won't cover ridesharing. I'll probably move the wife's vehicle over, too. But, they said that would need to be on a separate policy. Previously we had Progressive, for both vehicles. If I keep her on Progressive (after removing my vehicle), we are spending roughly $72 per month more for adding the ride sharing coverage. Not too bad, I think.

#8 ·
$1500 a year .............. I could live with that. I wonder if it's the same price in Tampa ( guessing it'll be a bit higher ..... ) Footnote : when you broke your Uber car out and got a separate policy, did you lose your multi-car discount on your wife's car ? I seem to recall that was another unexpected " consequence " of going legit .............

#12 ·
I'm just old.
<------ I mean, look at me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.