Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Euro girl in BevWood. Did an Uber pool. Wanted me to cancel the other rider so she could meet up with her friends in West Hollywood who were only going to be there for 40 minutes (ya, right). I was super amiable and told her the other pax has a nearby pickup and drop off. Kept harassing me to cancel the other pax, then when we get to the 2nd pickup tells me we can only wait a minute for him. She asks for his name and begins to roll down the window and shout his name. Once he gets in the car she gets on the phone and starts talking shit in Yiddish, which I understand.

2nd pax had the first dropoff but agrees to let us drop off the West LA Queen first. She then proceeds to ask my why I'm not using waze, gets on her phone and begins to direct me with her app. Both navis have the same directions. Then when we're 4 minutes from dropoff her friends magically get to another bar, and tells me to redirect. Thank god for Google Voice. Once she gets out of the car the passenger with me goes, "what a huge **** she was."

Grats on 1 star. Don't take Uber Pool if you need to be somewhere promptly. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Euro girl in BevWood. Did an Uber pool. Wanted me to cancel the other rider so she could meet up with her friends in West Hollywood who were only going to be there for 40 minutes (ya, right). I was super amiable and told her the other pax has a nearby pickup and drop off. Kept harassing me to cancel the other pax, then when we get to the 2nd pickup tells me we can only wait a minute for him. She asks for his name and begins to roll down the window and shout his name. Once he gets in the car she gets on the phone and starts talking shit in Yiddish, which I understand.

2nd pax had the first dropoff but agrees to let us drop off the West LA Queen first. She then proceeds to ask my why I'm not using waze, gets on her phone and begins to direct me with her app. Both navis have the same directions. Then when we're 4 minutes from dropoff her friends magically get to another bar, and tells me to redirect. Thank god for Google Voice. Once she gets out of the car the passenger with me goes, "what a huge **** she was."

Grats on 1 star. Don't take Uber Pool if you need to be somewhere promptly. You get what you pay for.
I grew up in Beverlywood. I don't identify with that area at all or what it's become. My mother still lives there in the same house my parents scraped up a down payment to buy forty years ago for $70,000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same sort of thing happen to me last Saturday with an english ******* in Brentwood that requested an Uberpool to go to LAX!?!? The second request came in it was all the way down on PCH took me like 15 minutes to get there, the people were in a section of the beach that had to be paid through a parking machine to enter. I called them to ask if they could meet me at the entrance. They were taking too long and my first passenger *english a**hole* was getting nervous he was going to miss his flight and I didn't know what to do. Right as I cancelled the second riders request they walked up to the car. I told them sorry it was too late. I left and proceeded to start the drive to LAX the english a**hole was such a jerk, he told me to turn off my navigation and he wanted to use his then he asked me to put my visor up so he could see the streets, then he asked for more AC ( which was already up high ) then HE FARTED IN MY CAR without even saying "Excuse me"! What an a**hole! When we got another request I explained to him that I had to accept the request because we were on a "Pool" that's how it works and that my ratings would go down if I didn't accept the request. He told me that wasn't going to work for him he would be late for his flight and would give me $20 if I cancelled the request. I thought about it and said okay but only after I explained to him again how the pool works and in the future to request UberX if he's going to the airport and not UberPool. I gave him the opportunity to get out of my car and request an UberX several times, but he insisted on staying with me and offered the $20 to just get him to LAX with no second riders. I felt like a slave in my car for an hour and half. The directions he gave me took us down Lincoln which at 6:30 on a Saturday night had a DUI check point and took us at least 30 minutes to go 3 miles! I really wanted to stop the car and kick him out way before that but I didn't know how to handle the situation. I'm a new driver and this was just insane and complicated and I was totally stressed out by the time I dropped him off at LAX I couldn't wait to get home!
How do you handle someone who doesn't want you to pick up a second ride request on an Uberpool? How do you politely ask a rider to exit your car that you are ending the ride. I was going to pull over and tell him that this obviously isn't working for both us and I'm cancelling the trip, he can request Uberpool if he wants. This is one the main reasons why I HATE UberPool! Plus its confusing turning around with someone in the car and driving to another destination and then following those directions and then getting back on track with first ride request. I have only successfully completed one UberPool. Too many people in my car makes me distracted! :( The next time I pick up an UberPool Pax that wants to go to LAX I'm going to tell them they should cancel this ride and request an UberX before even starting the ride. I will tell them it's better to be a single passenger when trying to get to the airport.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that it's better to be a single pax, in particular, if you have time constraints. I had a terrible instance with a pool in DTLA yesterday with 1.5 surge. It really wasn't worth the stress.

Your pax sounds awful. I don't accept Uber pools after I've picked up the first pax. AFAIK, it doesn't hurt us. My rating stays steady.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
If a pax EVER starts telling me how to run my business, like "don't pick up the second rider" I will pull over, tell them the ride is over and they need to cancel and order another car. No argument, no tip will change my mind. GTFO

I hate pool. Uber makes money off the drivers extra effort and does not share that extra with the driver... UberX is cheap enough, take a bus if you can't afford X.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Totally agree with you. I used to be a business banker and have dealt with way worse so my tolerance is fairly high but youre right. Actions deserve consequence. As far as I can tell I'm not affected by ignoring additional riders on a pool request. I may just ignore additional riders going forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought your ratings were effected if you didn't request ride requests regardless of whether or not it's UberX or Uberpool. I guess my old school work ethic kicks in becauase I'm still new and I got nervous about the english a**hole reporting me or something and I'm going to get in trouble or fired ( lol ) and didn't want to make him upset or start a confrontation by pulling over and asking him to exit the car. I won't be so nice next time. You are right it's my business, I'm not an Uber employee. I gave him 3 stars and I regretted it later I realized I should have given him 1 star, which I'm sure is what he gave me! My rating is still a 4.8 though. I really don't like accepting Uberpools are at but again I'm afraid not to accept those requests and have my ratings go down.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I had the same sort of thing happen to me last Saturday with an english ******* in Brentwood that requested an Uberpool to go to LAX!?!? The second request came in it was all the way down on PCH took me like 15 minutes to get there, the people were in a section of the beach that had to be paid through a parking machine to enter. I called them to ask if they could meet me at the entrance. They were taking too long and my first passenger *english a**hole* was getting nervous he was going to miss his flight and I didn't know what to do. Right as I cancelled the second riders request they walked up to the car. I told them sorry it was too late. I left and proceeded to start the drive to LAX the english a**hole was such a jerk, he told me to turn off my navigation and he wanted to use his then he asked me to put my visor up so he could see the streets, then he asked for more AC ( which was already up high ) then HE FARTED IN MY CAR without even saying "Excuse me"! What an a**hole! When we got another request I explained to him that I had to accept the request because we were on a "Pool" that's how it works and that my ratings would go down if I didn't accept the request. He told me that wasn't going to work for him he would be late for his flight and would give me $20 if I cancelled the request. I thought about it and said okay but only after I explained to him again how the pool works and in the future to request UberX if he's going to the airport and not UberPool. I gave him the opportunity to get out of my car and request an UberX several times, but he insisted on staying with me and offered the $20 to just get him to LAX with no second riders. I felt like a slave in my car for an hour and half. The directions he gave me took us down Lincoln which at 6:30 on a Saturday night had a DUI check point and took us at least 30 minutes to go 3 miles! I really wanted to stop the car and kick him out way before that but I didn't know how to handle the situation. I'm a new driver and this was just insane and complicated and I was totally stressed out by the time I dropped him off at LAX I couldn't wait to get home!
How do you handle someone who doesn't want you to pick up a second ride request on an Uberpool? How do you politely ask a rider to exit your car that you are ending the ride. I was going to pull over and tell him that this obviously isn't working for both us and I'm cancelling the trip, he can request Uberpool if he wants. This is one the main reasons why I HATE UberPool! Plus its confusing turning around with someone in the car and driving to another destination and then following those directions and then getting back on track with first ride request. I have only successfully completed one UberPool. Too many people in my car makes me distracted! :( The next time I pick up an UberPool Pax that wants to go to LAX I'm going to tell them they should cancel this ride and request an UberX before even starting the ride. I will tell them it's better to be a single passenger when trying to get to the airport.
So...did he cough up the $20?

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kayleen

Your rating wont go down but you do need to stay in an ~80% acceptance range. I've found they're flexible on acceptance depending on your rating

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks guys! Love the "Bruce the shark" from Nemo avatar LAuberX :)
So far they just kinda through new drivers to the wolves! I had no clue what I was doing last month when I started!

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! Love the "Bruce the shark" from Nemo avatar LAuberX :)
So far they just kinda through new drivers to the wolves! I had no clue what I was doing last month when I started!
It's intimidating at first. I grew up/live in Pasadena and started there for the first month I drove. This was a couple years ago when I was doing it part time, so fares paid more. Slowly got used to Hollywood and the like. Drive defensively, don't make illegal turns, and try to stop somewhere safe between calls to get your bearings until you learn areas. Eventually you'll get good at it. Luckily, identifying riders is fairly easy. Its the pax staring at his phone on the street corner - master of his/her universe, haha. I pull $25/hr after commission now that I know LA well and what areas to be in during certain time frames. If you'd like particular suggestions on areas PM me.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Life of a uber driver shouldn't be so rough-wutang

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I thought your ratings were effected if you didn't request ride requests regardless of whether or not it's UberX or Uberpool. I guess my old school work ethic kicks in becauase I'm still new and I got nervous about the english a**hole reporting me or something and I'm going to get in trouble or fired ( lol ) and didn't want to make him upset or start a confrontation by pulling over and asking him to exit the car. I won't be so nice next time. You are right it's my business, I'm not an Uber employee. I gave him 3 stars and I regretted it later I realized I should have given him 1 star, which I'm sure is what he gave me! My rating is still a 4.8 though. I really don't like accepting Uberpools are at but again I'm afraid not to accept those requests and have my ratings go down.
The problem with uBer pools is that your making the same money basically however you need to deal two different pax potentially
and two different personalities. Some times you will have pax that don't like each other and that causes tension that we are not compensated
for to deal with.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts