Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are permitted in Houston, UBER Partners are allowed to DROP OFF in the City of Galveston and at the Port. At this time UBER partners are NOT allowed to pick up in Galveston City Limits.

If you are caught picking up passengers within Galveston City Limits you can be cited and there are financial penalties.

Source: Jeff Stevens - City of Galveston Ground Transportation Inspector

Beginning March 1st, 2016, Galveston City council has approved TNC's, however UBER must first apply to become an approved operating authority before any partners are allowed to gain a permit. Once/IF UBER does become a TNC operator, then the Partner will have to pay a $120 Vehicle Inspection, then obtain a Chauffeur License similar to the TNC license Houston has. So yes, we would have to do 2 inspections and have 2 licenses.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If you are permitted in Houston, UBER Partners are allowed to DROP OFF in the City of Galveston and at the Port. At this time UBER partners are NOT allowed to pick up in Galveston City Limits.

If you are caught picking up passengers within Galveston City Limits you can be cited and there are financial penalties.

Source: Jeff Stevens - City of Galveston Ground Transportation Inspector

Beginning March 1st, 2016, Galveston City council has approved TNC's, however UBER must first apply to become an approved operating authority before any partners are allowed to gain a permit. Once/IF UBER does become a TNC operator, then the Partner will have to pay a $120 Vehicle Inspection, then obtain a Chauffeur License similar to the TNC license Houston has. So yes, we would have to do 2 inspections and have 2 licenses.
Great! Please Cite the Ordinance that states this and I will verify it with Law Enforcement.
Word from a person is not going to cut it unless it is quantified by the Ordinance IN WRITING AND the Police know about it.

This is your livelihood and possibly your freedom (Jail) we are talking about, so no offense but without it in writing I wouldn't do it.
Also, how about the small villages in Galveston County? Have you checked with ALL of them? It isn't worth it without knowing.

RC

RC

·
Registered
292 Posts
Since Uber first became available in the City of Galveston in 2014, you have played a significant role in making the streets a safer and better place for everyone. You made it easy for people to make the right choice not to drink and drive. And you extended a friendly, Texas-sized welcome to visitors who needed a ride around town. We can’t thank you enough for all of your hard work, and we appreciate and value your partnership. Unfortunately, as a result of new rules passed by Galveston City Council, we are disappointed to announce that we will be ceasing operations in Galveston effective today, February 1. These new regulations will make it difficult for partners to earn extra money on a flexible schedule and create barriers to entry instead of improving access to reliable transportation options such as ridesharing.

Cities across the U.S. have embraced Uber’s innovative model – including College Station, San Marcos, and Beaumont in the past few months – but a very small handful of cities have decided to impose burdensome regulations on this new economic engine. We know from experience in other markets that these rules can have a devastating impact on our ability to provide the experience that riders and drivers have come to expect. As an Uber partner, you will still be able to receive requests outside of Galveston and drop off within Galveston, but you will no longer be able to receive requests within Galveston city limits.

We hope the City Council will reconsider their decision so drivers like you can once again serve the community while earning extra income on your own schedule.

Thank you again for your partnership. It has been a pleasure to help serve the people of Galveston with you.

We will keep you updated on any progress related to the City’s ordinance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Since Uber first became available in the City of Galveston in 2014, you have played a significant role in making the streets a safer and better place for everyone. You made it easy for people to make the right choice not to drink and drive. And you extended a friendly, Texas-sized welcome to visitors who needed a ride around town. We can't thank you enough for all of your hard work, and we appreciate and value your partnership. Unfortunately, as a result of new rules passed by Galveston City Council, we are disappointed to announce that we will be ceasing operations in Galveston effective today, February 1. These new regulations will make it difficult for partners to earn extra money on a flexible schedule and create barriers to entry instead of improving access to reliable transportation options such as ridesharing.

Cities across the U.S. have embraced Uber's innovative model - including College Station, San Marcos, and Beaumont in the past few months - but a very small handful of cities have decided to impose burdensome regulations on this new economic engine. We know from experience in other markets that these rules can have a devastating impact on our ability to provide the experience that riders and drivers have come to expect. As an Uber partner, you will still be able to receive requests outside of Galveston and drop off within Galveston, but you will no longer be able to receive requests within Galveston city limits.

We hope the City Council will reconsider their decision so drivers like you can once again serve the community while earning extra income on your own schedule.

Thank you again for your partnership. It has been a pleasure to help serve the people of Galveston with you.

We will keep you updated on any progress related to the City's ordinance.
Referring to darkshy77's comment-
Yeah it did come from uber you crazy conspiracy theorist. Maybe uber did you wrong but it doesn't do all of its drivers wrong.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Referring to darkshy77's comment-
Yeah it did come from uber you crazy conspiracy theorist. Maybe uber did you wrong but it doesn't do all of its drivers wrong.
Just wait for a few days and you'll be on the other side of the fence.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
On Mar 23, 2016, at 17:42, Houston City Manager <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Go-Getters,
We are happy to announce we will be the first LEGAL Rideshare company with the ability to work in Galveston real soon. Our Permit is in its final stages of approval. With that said, if you are interested in becoming a fully vetted Go-Getter in Galveston please email me back with your Get Me Driver ID #, Name and Phone number. We will be working with the City of Galveston to hold a special day where you can take care of all your Drug Testing, Physical, and Fingerprinting, along with your Galveston city geography test which is 25 multiple choice questions all in one day, to obtain your permit. Our goal is to have at minimum 60 drivers to sign up. The total cost for everything will be $130 but understand we will be the only company legally able to work down there. Part of the process will be that you must have your GET ME BADGE and TRADE DRESS or they will not accept your application. We look forward to hearing back from you all. As always we appreciate your patience with GET ME and are looking forward to a bigger and brighter future ahead together.

Michael Vayner
Get Me City Manager - Houston/Galveston

·
Registered
338 Posts
On Mar 23, 2016, at 17:42, Houston City Manager <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Go-Getters,
We are happy to announce we will be the first LEGAL Rideshare company with the ability to work in Galveston real soon. Our Permit is in its final stages of approval. With that said, if you are interested in becoming a fully vetted Go-Getter in Galveston please email me back with your Get Me Driver ID #, Name and Phone number. We will be working with the City of Galveston to hold a special day where you can take care of all your Drug Testing, Physical, and Fingerprinting, along with your Galveston city geography test which is 25 multiple choice questions all in one day, to obtain your permit. Our goal is to have at minimum 60 drivers to sign up. The total cost for everything will be $130 but understand we will be the only company legally able to work down there. Part of the process will be that you must have your GET ME BADGE and TRADE DRESS or they will not accept your application. We look forward to hearing back from you all. As always we appreciate your patience with GET ME and are looking forward to a bigger and brighter future ahead together.

Michael Vayner
Get Me City Manager - Houston/Galveston
Lol @ $130.

For maybe 2-3 trips per year from galveston

1 - 13 of 13 Posts