Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lastnight I drove Uber in Gainesville and things were pretty decent until I got a ticket!

I was so frustrated because my two rides prior to that should have given me a clue that it was time to pack up and go home, but I had a quota I wanted to meet for the night.

Uber always tells you where to pick up your clients and I typically follow the address. I called my rider and explained I was a the light and I would be turning left soon. She explained that she was at Flacos and would be standing at that corner.

Immediately when they got into my vehicle and officer pulled up behind me very upset. She asked if I was working for a driving service. I said "yes uber" and she began to tell me that Uber is making it hard for GPD and that she wishes I would get the word out that they have given out too many warnings and would be cracking down from now on. "You guys cant just pull up and put your hazards on. Its dangerous. Its 2 am and you can cause a lot of damage. We had an Uber driver cause an accident right back there less than two weeks ago. It was so bad a fire hydrant got clipped. We cant have that". Several things were frustrating during the situation. 1. I had began my trip but had to cancel it so that my Uber App would let me pull up my Waybill to show the officers. Later they asked for my decal which I had. Then my Uber Badge (I was confused until she said, show me your Uber picture proving you are a driver). So I had to go to Account profile to show her, but in my nervousness I was online and had to keep avoiding/canceling the incoming Uber requests. I hit down and up and it wouldnt seem to decline them.
The officer called for back up and made me get out of the vehicle to lecture me and tell me that I needed to report to court and get points on my license or do driving school. I was super embarrassed and tired and the second officer said "Tell Uber to make it easier to navigate between screens, because we have this problem a lot". It took me 5 minutes to show her my account photo AND since I canceled the ride, I drove the last riders home and it wasnt calculated beyond the first 7 dollars (which, they lived far enough to where I think it would have been more than that).

I always supported Uber and encouraged friends to do it. Thought it was a great opportunity. Now I have mixed feelings. There isnt one number or person I to contact when you feel you are in a situation and need help. Its Send a message and hope you get a response. The ticket cost way more than I "earned" last night and its really discouraging, especially since I live in a near by city and come to Gaineville to drive. I get the emails and updates. I thought the city was okay with Ubers presence but apparently they are not. I am getting a moving violation because I pulled infront of the establishment and put my hazards on. The officer told me to tell people to go in a parking lot and choose better meeting places or be prepared to get ticketed.

Watch out. I think GPD is over uber

·
Registered
189 Posts
If drivers have dash cams then archive your video if you see taxis boarding passengers in the right of way. If GPD does not enforce the regulation uniformly then the problem should be presented to the commisioners.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lastnight I drove Uber in Gainesville and things were pretty decent until I got a ticket!

I was so frustrated because my two rides prior to that should have given me a clue that it was time to pack up and go home, but I had a quota I wanted to meet for the night.

Uber always tells you where to pick up your clients and I typically follow the address. I called my rider and explained I was a the light and I would be turning left soon. She explained that she was at Flacos and would be standing at that corner.

Immediately when they got into my vehicle and officer pulled up behind me very upset. She asked if I was working for a driving service. I said "yes uber" and she began to tell me that Uber is making it hard for GPD and that she wishes I would get the word out that they have given out too many warnings and would be cracking down from now on. "You guys cant just pull up and put your hazards on. Its dangerous. Its 2 am and you can cause a lot of damage. We had an Uber driver cause an accident right back there less than two weeks ago. It was so bad a fire hydrant got clipped. We cant have that". Several things were frustrating during the situation. 1. I had began my trip but had to cancel it so that my Uber App would let me pull up my Waybill to show the officers. Later they asked for my decal which I had. Then my Uber Badge (I was confused until she said, show me your Uber picture proving you are a driver). So I had to go to Account profile to show her, but in my nervousness I was online and had to keep avoiding/canceling the incoming Uber requests. I hit down and up and it wouldnt seem to decline them.
The officer called for back up and made me get out of the vehicle to lecture me and tell me that I needed to report to court and get points on my license or do driving school. I was super embarrassed and tired and the second officer said "Tell Uber to make it easier to navigate between screens, because we have this problem a lot". It took me 5 minutes to show her my account photo AND since I canceled the ride, I drove the last riders home and it wasnt calculated beyond the first 7 dollars (which, they lived far enough to where I think it would have been more than that).

I always supported Uber and encouraged friends to do it. Thought it was a great opportunity. Now I have mixed feelings. There isnt one number or person I to contact when you feel you are in a situation and need help. Its Send a message and hope you get a response. The ticket cost way more than I "earned" last night and its really discouraging, especially since I live in a near by city and come to Gaineville to drive. I get the emails and updates. I thought the city was okay with Ubers presence but apparently they are not. I am getting a moving violation because I pulled infront of the establishment and put my hazards on. The officer told me to tell people to go in a parking lot and choose better meeting places or be prepared to get ticketed.

Watch out. I think GPD is over uber
I have tried many times to meet with drivers and share experiences. I'm a CDL A driver I have a lot to share with you guys and I'm sure I can learn even more from all of you.
Unfortunately some UBER DRIVERS drive reckless and some just are to nervous between the smartphoneand the pax some drivers loses control of the situation.
People try SMITH SYSTEM, AND REMEMBER THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE CONTROL OF THE SITUATION AT ALL TIMES.

Everything could it be prevented.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident you experienced, Forevertae. Your first mistake was trusting anything Uber says or does. Why would anyone support this money grubbing, lying, cheating, driver hating company? They are not your friend and they would NEVER support you. Ever.

As for your ticket, you can go to court and try to fight it. Trust me, you will lose and then have points against you and your insurance company will be notified. Plus you will have to pay court costs. Swallow hard, take the online course (yes, you will still have to pay $ but the course is quick and easy) and move on without points or any damage to your driving record. Good luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
whitebird Did you read the City regulation and Florida Statute I linked to in my posts?
Forevertae Don't give up, you have both the city and state law on your side. Print out the links, highlighting the sections I noted then inform the judge with this information.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your ordeal.. I hope for the best. Although when you tell people about Uber, please be honest with them. There are good aspects but also very negative ones as well. This isn't what it used to be, it's much much more difficult.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have tried many times to meet with drivers and share experiences. I'm a CDL A driver I have a lot to share with you guys and I'm sure I can learn even more from all of you.
Unfortunately some UBER DRIVERS drive reckless and some just are to nervous between the smartphoneand the pax some drivers loses control of the situation.
People try SMITH SYSTEM, AND REMEMBER THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE CONTROL OF THE SITUATION AT ALL TIMES.

Everything could it be prevented.
I just haven't been up there to work. Trying other things of late.. make the same money working at walmart basically

·
Registered
45 Posts
First, UberGNVguy, you are a tool of Uber and I normally wouldn't bother interacting with you. However, you gave forevertae terrible advice. Yes, I read your links and they actually SUPPORT the officer issuing a citation. You also are probably quite young and don't understand how the traffic court system works, at least in Gainesville. Simply put, it is rare that anyone wins in traffic court, which doesn't even use a real judge (they have an administrative officer). The complaints against the traffic court are legendary and massive as their primary purpose is to rake in as much money as they can. If forevertae loses (which the odds are, she will) she will pay more money, have points and possibly an increase in insurance. Its not worth it. My advice is, swallow the cost and move on with no real harm done (except to the wallet). Egging forevertae on to fight a losing battle is what a fool would do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts