Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called into the uber driver centre at Concord yesterday as I had a few admin items to attend to.

Taking Avenig lead and I was interested to see what the issues were when people have rated me lower than a 5 so I asked if the support lady could look back through my recent trips.

I had a '3' last week from a rider who said I took a wrong turn and it doubled the ride length. This was bullshit and I know what rider it was. She was completely rude and I almost turned one street too early in bondi junction then almost screamed at me to stop when I about to pull up at her apartment block. I '1' starred her so all good.

But then she started running through the 4 star rides. Not 1 of them noted any issues. But many of them had left comments such as 'great', 'nice trip' & 'good driver'!!!!

This goes to show that riders really do not understand the rating system and that Uber needs to provide more guidance to the riders otherwise the driver rating is not a realistic representation of our efforts.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Yes all know the most rider don't know how the rating system works . Even if you done a perfect Ride there are always some rider won't give you a 5 star they think a 4 stars is good enough . Rider can complain rate or report you for stupid reseason like when they put a drop pin in a taxi or no stopping zone . When I told them them to hurry up and you get a complain for having a bad attitude

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I took a couple uber trips on the weekend, and I noticed when rating, you click one star and it says bad, two stars is something, three is ok, 4 is good and 5 is great or something like that... So uber *are* educating, but what they should mean is 5 * is Good, 4 is "average" 3 is poor, 2 is bad 1 is horrendous.

PS, if my uber driver is here, you got a 4* because you admitted to drinking. Uber is like taxi, alcohol level is 0.00. I was tempted to go less, but didn't want to be too cruel.

·
Registered
470 Posts
PS, if my uber driver is here, you got a 4* because you admitted to drinking. Uber is like taxi, alcohol level is 0.00. I was tempted to go less, but didn't want to be too cruel.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean admitting to drinking and having blood alcohol level while driving, or admitting that he liked to have a drink?
Also I'm pretty sure that alcohol level is 0.02 for taxi and ride sharing, which may as well be 0.00.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
PS, if my uber driver is here, you got a 4* because you admitted to drinking. Uber is like taxi, alcohol level is 0.00. I was tempted to go less, but didn't want to be too cruel.
4 stars for drinking and driving that's a criminal offence should be a 1 star and a report to uber if you want to be nasty .

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
4 stars for drinking and driving that's a criminal offence should be a 1 star and a report to uber if you want to be nasty .
I didn't want to be that nasty, if i was alone in the car I would have told him. I was going for a subtle hint but i doubt he visits here or else he would already know better.
Ps 0.02 is the correct value from
http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/alcoholdrugs/drinkdriving/bac/
Which means one standard drink could put you over the limit.

Although the Uber rules state no alcohol for drivers....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Do you mean admitting to drinking and having blood alcohol level while driving, or admitting that he liked to have a drink?.
He said he was driving, stopped to meet someone and had a few drinks and then driving again. He claimed that add long as you are under 0.05 then it's all good lol

Except its not ok, i just wish there was a way to educate him on his responsibilities without getting him banned from driving/etc.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
If I was the pax and I know the driver had a drink before he took my trip I'll be feeling nervous .it is your live he is playing with . Yes educating him is good but if you get pull over by the cops they won't educate you at all . They will cancell your licence and charge you with a criminal offences

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Icecool of course you are totally correct. So now I am left in a quandary....
It's the old "He didn't look drunk, smell drunk, act drunk" so I thought it would be fine. He probably was under 0.05 (I doubt he would be dumb enough to tell his pax he has been drinking when he is over the limit, but I could be easily surprised), so technically the law says the risk is reasonably low.
So, I'll leave it to a "vote". Three comments added (from different drivers) advising to report to Uber and I will do that. If I was a regular passenger and not a driver myself, I would have reported without thinking.... Maybe a single un-substantiated report will get uber to at least remind him of the uber alcohol free requirements, which will help everybody next time?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think you are right, one report against him without proof shouldn't stop him from driving and he will learn to not drink (or keep his mouth shut) next time. Personally I think the limit for anybody driving should be 0.00. If you are right on the current legal limit, your reaction times are doubled!

So I say report him.

And I have had one serious report from a passenger that I know if it happens again I will be off Uber for good. I think they do give some benefit of the doubt if one passenger makes a claim that they can't prove but if it is a pattern then the old saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" is applicable. The issue with my serious report is I have NO idea what I said to offend the passenger.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Uber should really educate the riders based on how to rate the drivers. In my opinion whether you took the wrong turn mistakenly we shouldnt really get rated 4 or below just because of that and we cant blame google map or optus for the internet lag. It is so hard to concentrate both GPS/road plus conversation with the riders, and they must understand all the human errors that happens without intentions. If the driver drops the rider from A to B and he/she is happy with the condition of the vehicle and the driver then its a 5 star. There is a big difference between a rider and a driver. The driver is disadvantaged when it comes to rating.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Uber should really educate the riders based on how to rate the drivers. In my opinion whether you took the wrong turn mistakenly we shouldnt really get rated 4 or below just because of that and we cant blame google map or optus for the internet lag. It is so hard to concentrate both GPS/road plus conversation with the riders, and they must understand all the human errors that happens without intentions. If the driver drops the rider from A to B and he/she is happy with the condition of the vehicle and the driver then its a 5 star. There is a big difference between a rider and a driver. The driver is disadvantaged when it comes to rating.
I don't agree that the driver is at disadvantage in relating to rating. It's true that the driver must be at a certain minimum rating in order to stay activated.
Beside that, Uber drivers have the advantage over the riders in relating to rating. Here are the rider's disadvantages over rating:
  • A particular rider against many drivers. Rider can hurt 1 driver's rating, but that rider's rating can be injured multiple times by different drivers.
  • Driver may have many more completed trips under his belt compared to rider, so 1 bad rating does not hurt the driver as bad as the rider.
so fellow drivers, don't be afraid of the riders. We are a strong, unbeatable army. What we need to do is 1* the nasty riders and stop accepting request from low rating riders, that will teach them to behave.

Riders choose Uber over taxi because it's cheaper but also because the taxi drivers kick the sh*t out of those nasty riders. They abuse Uber's customer a*ss licking service so that they can exercise their rudeness.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes correct but riders don't usually care about their ratings cus ubers not going to ban them for having a low rating anyways.
Its the drivers that suffers the most at the end of the day. when youre only driving in the weekends, its very hard to jack up the rating again to 4.82 not that I care much but thats what the rating sys does to ppl...drives you nuts.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Yes correct but riders don't usually care about their ratings cus ubers not going to ban them for having a low rating anyways.
Its the drivers that suffers the most at the end of the day. when youre only driving in the weekends, its very hard to jack up the rating again to 4.82 not that I care much but thats what the rating sys does to ppl...drives you nuts.
Uber don't do anything if the rider has low rating, but you the driver can use your power to refuse their ride.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
just curious what rider rating below which you wouldn't accept their ride? .... what sort of score is your threshold of acceptance (for a rider)?
It should be 4.6 (ie, if a 4.6 means a driver can't drive, then a 4.6 should mean a rider can't ride).
However, I'm doubtful that it will work out that way. I've often taken pax with a rating under 4.5, to be honest, I mostly don't even look at the rating unless I'm bored, and if I'm bored then I'll probably accept them regardless.
Also, giving a newbie pax a rating of 4 (so they don't have exactly a 5.0 rating) will mean their rating is 4.0 for the next driver, who will think there is a big problem with them.... They need to get a number of trips before they can get a 4 and still have a rating over 4.6.... (I'm not doing the math to work that one out... it's an exercise left for the reader)..

·
Registered
123 Posts
I called into the uber driver centre at Concord yesterday as I had a few admin items to attend to.>......>.........

But then she started running through the 4 star rides. Not 1 of them noted any issues. But many of them had left comments such as 'great', 'nice trip' & 'good driver'!!!!

This goes to show that riders really do not understand the rating system and that Uber needs to provide more guidance to the riders otherwise the driver rating is not a realistic representation of our efforts.
I don't think Uber understand what a rating system is or any quality control or common sense for that matter. You got called into the office for being "great, nice and a good driver". I think this method is a fast way of eliminating good drivers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts