Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
key to getting longer rides is knowing the areas. Sometimes you truly can't help it, nothing more annoying than 5 rides in a row at under a mile... Everyone's situation is different but in my experience staying in the residential areas are longer rides. When you are downtown, they will most likely be short trips. Obviously you want to drive wherever a person takes you but after a while if it's not worth your time, try out different locations.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
key to getting longer rides is knowing the areas. Sometimes you truly can't help it, nothing more annoying than 5 rides in a row at under a mile... Everyone's situation is different but in my experience staying in the residential areas are longer rides. When you are downtown, they will most likely be short trips. Obviously you want to drive wherever a person takes you but after a while if it's not worth your time, try out different locations.
Also. Maybe it's just me, but is anyone else frustrated by people who get in your car with no destination entered and just tell you a street/ cross street and lock their eyes down at their phone. Sometimes I know where I'm going, when I don't know, I enter the street they give me into my gps. After literally 5 seconds of not moving they usually get annoyed that I'm just a mere human being that doesn't know a city holding 2 million ppl in it like the back of my hand. Sometimes they don't enter the destination because they would like to navigate their own way, which is awesome, but rare. But it's an automatic 4 stars or less of they do that to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also. Maybe it's just me, but is anyone else frustrated by people who get in your car with no destination entered and just tell you a street/ cross street and lock their eyes down at their phone. Sometimes I know where I'm going, when I don't know, I enter the street they give me into my gps. After literally 5 seconds of not moving they usually get annoyed that I'm just a mere human being that doesn't know a city holding 2 million ppl in it like the back of my hand. Sometimes they don't enter the destination because they would like to navigate their own way, which is awesome, but rare. But it's an automatic 4 stars or less of they do that to me.
I tell them that the $1 million liability policy definitely covers them when there's an address. And missing out on that kind of money concerns me as a driver. Spend 5 seconds for his family's sake if not his own.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not that it's any secret, but I get up early - before 6am - and get myself between two luxury hotels 35 miles from the airport. Damn near every week day I catch a $40 ride to the airport before rush hour starts.
I get back home before my wife wakes up, with coffee and breakfast.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's hard to know what you'll get next though. I've often described getting a ride request as a scratch off lottery ticket because it's uncovered in phases.

If you need to make a minimum number of rides for weekend guarantees its almost painfully obvious where to station yourself: High residential between 5pm - 11pm - High commercial areas anytime after 11pm

Major events in your city like football games? High residential is probably the way to go.

Longer rides can be found in downtown areas during afternoon/evening rush because people will most likely request rides from downtown to their homes outside of downtown and sometimes even in the burbs.

Obviously it varies from city to city but it's mainly a matter of learning patterns of the masses in order to get rides...sometimes that doesn't even work though with driver over saturation in certain areas.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting observation. Not long ago, I was lurking about Disneyland. I got several hits; all of them were what I call "A-to-B" runs: local min-fare stuff. Then I got a hit from an apartment south of the resort district; this young lady needed to go home - to Costa Mesa (about 12 miles away). Not a marathon, true, but it led from there to a pickup at SNA to take a woman home to Laguna Beach, then a surge run from a mobile home in Laguna Beach to Yorba Linda.

I called it a night after that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts