Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped doing Uber X last year when I got a new car, went to all deliveries. Ignored garbage requests. Subsequently my acceptance rate quickly plummeted from diamond level numbers all the way down to the low 60s. My cancelation rate climbed and stayed consistently above 10%. Eventually it became apparent that the system wasn't sending me as many lowball requests, my AR crept back up, my CR came down. I wasn't paying attention to the diamond bonus offer because I didn't think it was possible, but by the middle of this month it was apparent that it was, as my numbers had improved and I passed 1200 points. So I made a concerted effort to get my acceptance rate up to 85% by pretty much taking everything for the last week. I have now hit my target numbers and I'm once again at diamond level; I simply have to maintain it until January 31 to get $350.

Boom.

For the past 3 days I have been buried in crap requests, sub-$4, some as low as $1.50. In order to secure my $350 bonus I'm going to have to either stay off line, or take crap requests until the end of the month at this rate.

So here are my questions:

Do you think the AI adapted to my specific behavior?

Or, has the AI adapted to the market in general because there are simply too many drivers taking crap requests
for many different reasons, including some in the same situation as I?

Or is the system actually programmed to prevent me from earning a $350 bonus?

· Premium Member
2019 Toyota Corolla
8,475 Posts
I have 37k rides over 6 years and I have had zero evidence whatsoever that any algorithms have
ever learned anything about my behavior.
Last year my ride averag was a little over $19
Yet I'm still barraged with minimum fare rides
and an occasional one over 10 minutes to pickup
My current acceptance rate is 15%
I dont think they try to avoid paying such bonuses
Rather we are so used to being lied to about surges and having our time wasted. It just easier to assume they are trying to screw us. Getting diamond means exactly taking whatever kind of crap they offer.
I for one wouldnt do it even if they 4x the $650
That I was offered for it as know I'll make more money over 3 months without it...

· Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I stopped doing Uber X last year when I got a new car, went to all deliveries. Ignored garbage requests. Subsequently my acceptance rate quickly plummeted from diamond level numbers all the way down to the low 60s. My cancelation rate climbed and stayed consistently above 10%. Eventually it became apparent that the system wasn't sending me as many lowball requests, my AR crept back up, my CR came down. I wasn't paying attention to the diamond bonus offer because I didn't think it was possible, but by the middle of this month it was apparent that it was, as my numbers had improved and I passed 1200 points. So I made a concerted effort to get my acceptance rate up to 85% by pretty much taking everything for the last week. I have now hit my target numbers and I'm once again at diamond level; I simply have to maintain it until January 31 to get $350.

Boom.

For the past 3 days I have been buried in crap requests, sub-$4, some as low as $1.50. In order to secure my $350 bonus I'm going to have to either stay off line, or take crap requests until the end of the month at this rate.

Or, has the AI adapted to the market in general because there are simply too many drivers taking crap requests

I am in the exact scenario. I've got the points, and now have to ride out the crap requests for the next few days Switching to Lyft won't really help, because there's no bonus over there this week.

· Premium Member
13,149 Posts
I have 37k rides over 6 years and I have had zero evidence whatsoever that any algorithms have
ever learned anything about my behavior.
Last year my ride averag was a little over $19
Yet I'm still barraged with minimum fare rides
and an occasional one over 10 minutes to pickup
My current acceptance rate is 15%
I dont think they try to avoid paying such bonuses
Rather we are so used to being lied to about surges and having our time wasted. It just easier to assume they are trying to screw us. Getting diamond means exactly taking whatever kind of crap they offer.
I for one wouldnt do it even if they 4x the $650
That I was offered for it as know I'll make more money over 3 months without it...
did you get that $10,000 20k ride bonus a few years ago, i missed it bu so small a #. as i did wav now. i do low #'s last week 3 days 58 trip's 1 day was very long..usally 5x 12 only off sat sun
]

· Premium Member
12,433 Posts
I dunno. My jury is still out on that one. Sometimes my sixth sense picks up on the next trip I want to go on, and it comes through. Or watch, the next one goes the wrong way. The Algo seems to be 50/50 on that. Sometimes when the destination filter times out, the next trip goes that direction.

Is it luck,or being in the right place at the right time ?

Part of it depends on how Spiritual one is in tune. Some people don't have even an oz of it or flat out don't believe. I believe I'll have another Beer, Thank you very much.

Now the bigger question is, when Lyft asks , How was your Experience with Lyft today. How do you answer it, if at all ?

How does trips change depending on your answer ?

· Premium Member
3,622 Posts
If someone is working in a market that is not over saturated with drivers they will not experience this. Its always "next man up", whoever is best able to service the request. These are the markets that still have quests and promotions. A driver who puts in 60hours can earn 2K in a week in these markets.

When the market is over saturated, the algo has to come up with ways to utilize the entire pool. They used to employ throttling, which meant that when a driver "gets ahead" of his peers, he is cut off and the trips are given to other drivers. This meant that you had to be strategic about when you drove.

Now with UFP, when there is a surplus of drivers, the offers go down. They can do this because there is no longer a rate card. This contributes to more drivers working for less. The problem becomes that now you are competing with idiots who don't understand the economics of RS and are just borrowing equity from their cars to pay bills now.

To anwswer the OP, I absolutely believe they are giving you junk trips. In the same way that they know to throttle you when you are ahead of the curve. The Diamond incentive was designed as a way to get drivers to take the junk.

I firmly believe that prices will continue to drop until driving rideshare is legitimately life-ruining activity, with many hopefuls burning up their cars without realizing it, until a couple years later the car breaks down, they can't fix it, and they declare bankruptcy. This is why the govt will eventually intercede, which is probabably the end game.

Right now, Uber is surviving on the backs of drivers, low income social programs like Obamacare (that drivers are eligible for), standard milage deduction, second jobs that actually provide insurance, and social security providing a backstop for seniors who drive to supplement it. Then of course there is the fraud and illegal aliens driving, and collusion with rental partners like Hertz.

I believe the end game is all the drivers renting to drive (because $/mi offers are too low for owner operators), and there will be government intervention making it a minimum wage job for anyone whose driving record hasn't yet been ruined.

Its a nasty, illegal business they are engaged in. Their lawyers are one step ahead of everyone else.

· Premium Member
153 Posts
Interesting about the AI 'learning' a driver's behavior. I tend to get a lot of UE requests for restaurants that I habitually decline (due to problems) when Uber has me in time out. It makes me wonder if I get these requests in time out only because I habitually decline them.

· Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting about the AI 'learning' a driver's behavior. I tend to get a lot of UE requests for restaurants that I habitually decline (due to problems) when Uber has me in time out. It makes me wonder if I get these requests in time out only because I habitually decline them.
UberEats puts you in time out? Or UberX?

· Premium Member
9,911 Posts
Right now, Uber is surviving on the backs of drivers, low income social programs like Obamacare (that drivers are eligible for), standard milage deduction, second jobs that actually provide insurance
For most of the hundreds of thousands of drivers who qualify for public assistance, rideshare is their ONLY job. They receive MEDICAID. Their income is too low for Obamacare. Most second jobs don't offer insurance anyway. They also receive SNAP, Earned Income Credit, and some receive Section 8 housing assistance as well.

· Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Yes. I rarely do UX anymore, if at all. In fact, I declined a few low paying deliveries earlier and canceled one. Been sitting here for a few hours - the only pings I have received are for the place I mentioned earlier. Weird, huh?
Sounds like you are bottom of the rung and the more highly rated drivers are declining the restaurants on your blacklist too.

· Premium Member
3,542 Posts

Boom.

[/QUOT
Uber feeds you shit in order to get their carrot (eg: diamond level)
More smoke and mirros from that POS MF Dara and his Uber posse. Hey Dara, shove that diamond up your Persian mother's a-hole!

· Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ALERT: The Diamond reward is NOT payable in February!!!

To get the reward you must do two things; ACHEIVE Diamond before Jan 31, and MAINTAIN Diamond for the new quarter.

If so, you will get your reward in May.
"...must achieve or re-qualify for Diamond status in one Uber Pro program period and maintain such status until the end of the program period."

It doesn't say "maintain until the end of the FOLLOWING period."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts