Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12:31 AM-driving from the city to the mainline. No search fairs in a while. The only one I saw was at the stadium and one someplace further away. This is really the first Friday I've seen this slow. It's mainly due to it being the middle of summer and people are away. But Friday and Saturday nights are always my late night entertainment nights. Between 1:30 AM and 3 AM it's time to take people home who are not fit to drive! So I will wait until that time to judge my evening.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yeah. Saturday's are usually better. Fridays people are too tired from working all week.

I got a highly risky lyft for the evening from the airport out to Princeton. Lyft is still allowing requests from that area. So I did probably the same as being in town all night if not better, and snagged one more ride in the north suburbs to make a guarantee hour.

I'm really beat now. I've been doing it for about 3 months and I can see why people say that's all most drivers last. It's fun at first, then it suddenly really starts to wear on you.

Probably only gonna stalk Uber surges in my area tomorrow night, Lyft guarantee hours or not. Hit a 1.9 and a 1.5 back to back last week both for rides longer than 5 miles...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. Saturday's are usually better. Fridays people are too tired from working all week.

I got a highly risky lyft for the evening from the airport out to Princeton. Lyft is still allowing requests from that area. So I did probably the same as being in town all night if not better, and snagged one more ride in the north suburbs to make a guarantee hour.

I'm really beat now. I've been doing it for about 3 months and I can see why people say that's all most drivers last. It's fun at first, then it suddenly really starts to wear on you.

Probably only gonna stalk Uber surges in my area tomorrow night, Lyft guarantee hours or not. Hit a 1.9 and a 1.5 back to back last week both for rides longer than 5 miles...
I will admit that for the first couple of months it was very tiring until I learn to pace myself and pinpoint my hours. The weekly reports helped with that. I used to go out and sit in my car for hours . Kind of a waste of time. there's a lot of talk about there being too many drivers. I'm sure there will be an attrition rate is with everything and people will weed themselves out. Those of us who can hang in there will be busier

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree that tonight was unusually quiet. I took a couple to Cherry Hill and picked up a few others while it was in NJ. Came back to CC and picked up 3 more but that was it. Stayed online all the way back to Narberth and not a single ping. Not even from Manayunk.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really think it has to do with summer and people being away. I think maybe we will get some traffic between 1:30 AM and 3 AM. Let's hope! I try to set a daily goal for myself to meet and I'm a little behind. But I will persevere! I have found driving with any rideshare companies you have to take the good with the bad.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yeah, I have never actually done the bar closings and between Lyft and Uber doing $500-550/week with planning and absolute rejection of all Uber pings that aren't surges :) I had a drunk yacker (er, talker) in my car last night, I really don't want them aha.

This week has been great for Lyft business - I did well Thursday night. BUT - those almost are all were cheap UberX millenials only on Lyft for the half-off sale, not regular Lyft customers. Only got $7 in tips even with a bag of Starburst! A few Uber cash tips though Thurs...Here's hoping this sale defaults people to Lyft and they start hitting that $1 tip button at least. I need 9.5 more hours for the darned Lyft 10% bonus, so that's probably all I'll do the rest of the weekend. Should hit my $500 goal then I think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI: I'm in Radnor and I just received a ping for Bluebell, 25 minutes away. Definite not except of that ride! First one I've not accepted tonight.

I'm curious about lyft. I haven't done much investigation except some of my riders have told me that there's no commissions? How do you manage running Uber and lyft at the same time? I don't know. What I know about them almost sounds too good to be true and the other shoe will drop and then people will say that they suck too!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Right now yeah, it's good. Lyft is trying really hard to get drivers and passengers in Philly. Uber got here first, Uber probably has 70-80% of the market share. With the shared $1500 referral bonuses (you split it with your referring driver), the guarantees, and the power driver bonuses, they're really set first on getting drivers over to Lyft and keeping them from doing Uber at the same time. The guarantees are the big thing - they are mostly $20 fare/hr guarantees with $25/hr on Friday and Saturday nights. If you want to hit the guarantee, you better not run Uber at the same time. Actually I have in the previous weeks before this rate sale (Lyft was half-off all week) and just when I think I'm going to clear an hour hustling, I get another Lyft ping during an Uber ride.

Now that wasn't enough, but with the rate sale Thursday I could really see the effect on Uber. A lot of drivers are on both - Thursday night Uber was surging in weird places at weird times because there simply weren't enough drivers - everyone was on Lyft.

If it keeps up, Uber will surge more and Lyft will look better for riders. Lyft's prime time system is more fair than Uber's. The prime time area can be just a couple of blocks, but as you know Uber lights up center city in 4 really big areas. It's really unfair to someone in north Mt. Airy to pay a surge because Manayunk has a lot of drunk people who need rides (and Manayunk always has a lot of drunk people who need rides lol.)

Now what's bad about Lyft:

1) For some reason Lyft rides of equivalent distance and time are coming out to be lower fares than on Uber, in some cases by $2. This despite the fact that the per mile and per minute rates are the same! I don't have that many exactly equivalent rides to check but the ones I have show Lyft as being a lower price! Lyft doesn't give us the same breakdown Uber does on rides, so I have no idea what's going on. A lot of passengers have said it's cheaper for them a lot. On the other hand, Lyft is more expensive but better for drivers on those <1.5 mile rides because they seem to be including the trust & safety fee in the calculation of commission, but Uber doesn't. That means they take 20% of the $5 minimum which is $1, whereas Uber takes 20% of $4 ($5 minus the $1 trust & safety fee), so you actually net less for each ride ($3.2). Again it pisses me off to no end I can't see the breakdown for each ride on Lyft.

2) Keeping your acceptance rate above 90% is a must for Lyft if you want the guarantees and bonuses. So again, don't even think about double dipping. Keep 'em on our side is the Lyft plan.

3) The surge areas are smaller. So you have less chance of catching one. And there is no way to tell if you're getting a surge rate so you can't cancel on them the way you probably do on Uber if you are in a surge area and get a non-surge request. You only find out if it was a surge rate or not the next day.

4) You have to schedule a test drive with a "mentor" to get on board. At least this probably weeds out obviously bad cars and drivers. This is a good thing in the long run.

All in all I definitely prefer Lyft right now. But that won't stop me from stalking surge rates on Uber. It's worth the gamble, even during a $25/guarantee hour for a 2x or greater surge. Anything less than that and I don't care, I'll work Lyft. If Uber is surging, I will make those Lyft guarantees for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see how it could be more seemingly attractive For drivers, but for how long? A great sale is exactly that, a sale. It ends at some point and prices go back to normal. I would want to know the normal price is well with lyft.

Also, how saturated is left in the Philadelphia market? How much business can you potentially get if uber has 70 or 80% of the market and lyft only has 20 or 30%?

Acceptance rate doesn't bother me because I am always over 90%. What I do not like about uber sometimes is that I get the same ping for a request two or sometimes three times. That makes my percentages look lower.

I don't understand how you can "guarantee" a fair of $25 on weekends. What if there is no surge pricing on a given weekend? Or it is slow, like tonight? How long will lyft make assurances to drivers and will it potentially backfire? It seems that the rideshare system is constantly evolving and is a work in progress. I'm sure that driver retention is on Uber's mind. And hiring quality drivers is vitally important. Given some of the articles of late I would imagine there would be some retooling of their driver hiring process. Although, most writers that I talk to have told me they have had positive experiences (Of course me being the most positive!)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The guarantees are paid by Lyft, they expect you to make more money than the guarantee so they don't have to pay you the remainder. And there aren't that many of them really. 6-9am, 5-7pm, and 9pm-12am for example. In the past two weeks I have beaten the $20 guarantee hours once, but they've paid out the other times a bit. The $25/hr ones are especially worth it, but this week they really suck unless you like the bar crowd - it's 10pm-3am Friday and Saturday for the $25/hr guarantee. Those are PRE-commission guarantees btw. So the $20 rate gets you $15/hr. BUT - on Lyft you have a chance to make tips. Downtown without a surge I sure as hell can't make $15 an hour on Uber. Also they average across ALL the week's guarantee hours. So maybe you got lucky and did well one night, but only had one ride an hour during the other guarantee hours, so no guarantee money for you because you blew your average.

They are paying them to increase market share and steal Uber drivers. Yes, they will end someday I'm sure. But right now Lyft apparently has enough capital to do this. They are bleeding money - even Uber is still not making a profit, which amazes me, but that's what the news reports say.

But the fact that Lyft is doing things that will be better in the long run for the company's reputation and staying power - allowing tips, parterning with Starbucks, running sales, and not using overly large surge zones, gives me hope that the better company will eventually win out. And they've decided to focus exclusively on the US and not expand overseas for now, so all their money is being spent here, whereas Uber is fighting legal battles in dozens of countries and overexpanding.

As for Philly, I don't know. I hope they increase market share. In the meantime, I am doing ok combining Uber surge stalking and Lyft guarantee hours. Doing either alone would not be worth it in my opinion.

Off to bed!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Was steady all night between west chester and phoenixville. Only bad part of my night was some ******* canceled his trip at 2:30 AM right before i arrived that was at a 2.0 surge and when i came back online there was none.

Stop riding around for fairs, go near a place where you know there is demand, shut the engine off, and wait.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
FYI: I'm in Radnor and I just received a ping for Bluebell, 25 minutes away. Definite not except of that ride! First one I've not accepted tonight.

haaa ..how bout a ping for a VIP / 43 minutes away ??? seriously ...

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
same here , long rides frm cc to wayne and havertown, picked up in surge area still only showed aprrox 30 and 20 ...over 1hour alltogether plus gas...

heavy accident on cobbscreek and woodland 5am....before I say goodnite to the hookers...

·
Registered
594 Posts
All I have to say is...I can't wait until college is back in session. I used to make bank $$ taking Villanova kids around. Demand will go back up in a few weeks. Until then--when there are too many drivers on--I log off.

·
Registered
459 Posts
12:31 AM-driving from the city to the mainline. No search fairs in a while. The only one I saw was at the stadium and one someplace further away. This is really the first Friday I've seen this slow. It's mainly due to it being the middle of summer and people are away. But Friday and Saturday nights are always my late night entertainment nights. Between 1:30 AM and 3 AM it's time to take people home who are not fit to drive! So I will wait until that time to judge my evening.
they give out Hourly Guarantees to random drivers. So there are always people online for 6+ hours straight. This way the Uber figured out to eliminate the surge. Meanwhile drivers without the guarantee, still hitting the road. SO the availability is great, and the surge is non existent.

and the damned new drivers do not know where the off-line button is. if we all went off line, the surge is guaranteed. i still observe 3 cars on my block being online for 15 minutes straight. dumb.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts