Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Someone called me today pretending to be from Uber. I was just about to pick up a rider then i got this call & the guy said i know you are about to pick up a customer so i'll go ahead & cancel that and he did cancel the ride. Then he asked me to pull over and told me i have the top ratings and reviews bla bla then he started to ask me if i had $500 or more in pay i said no then he said i dont qualify and that he will call me back and asked for my number and when i asked him his name and number he said just take desk number and hung up. My best guess is that he is the ride that i was picking up cause thats the only way he could have known my location and was able to cancel the ride. Just wanted to share incase he tries to call someone else and prank them

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
A lot of people already lost money from this lol, been happening for a month now. You were smart about it, good job.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi all,

Someone called me today pretending to be from Uber. I was just about to pick up a rider then i got this call & the guy said i know you are about to pick up a customer so i'll go ahead & cancel that and he did cancel the ride. Then he asked me to pull over and told me i have the top ratings and reviews bla bla then he started to ask me if i had $500 or more in pay i said no then he said i dont qualify and that he will call me back and asked for my number and when i asked him his name and number he said just take desk number and hung up. My best guess is that he is the ride that i was picking up cause thats the only way he could have known my location and was able to cancel the ride. Just wanted to share incase he tries to call someone else and prank them
What do you mean "$500 in oay"? (PAY, mod edited)

Where were you when this occurred and what time of day?
Why would he ask for your number since he just called you?
How would this guy steal $?
He thinks we carry cash in car?
Why would he call and cancel? Too weird.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
lol. @Ahram how did other people lose money? did they eventually ask for bank info and stuff?? I'm curious what was gonna be the next step?
The next step varies. He could "verify" your phone number and password over the phone, or he can text you a link to a b.s. webpage that will ask for the password and phone number...

the scammer then cleans out your Uber pay with Instant Pay.

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
These guys have class. "You're getting rewarded cuz you have high ratings and great reviews. Do you have more than $500 coming? No. Nevermind, we won't reward you afterall." How many drivers ask them the obvious question "Why do you need my phone number if you just called me.

I wonder whose name they have these Uber accounts under. That's the most solid link. Doesn't Uber have a log of the device that was used to call someone through the app, whether or not the name is legit. Then a Stingray can be used to track the person's location. I don't approve the use of Stingrays, but since they're used, may as well catch someone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This just happened to me today in Princeton. I immediately contacted UBER to have them reverse the cash out and remove the debit card from my account. I changed my login info. Uber approved rider predicated the scam pretending to be Uber technical support so that means uber needs to give me back the money. Instead, Uber has not responded to me since 10am this morning, they have his info get him arrested. Instead they didn't respond, didnt have me verify with a photo so they can remove the card from my account, nothing, nada, nyet.

So since i am actually smart enough to have a back up plan, i drove with lyft for the first time today. Considering the amount of lawsuits they have had plus the new one from doj.. i wouldn't think could afford this on top of everything else, some would say this type of scam is another lever to go after uber. particularly if they don't make good on it. just sayin.

·
Registered
747 Posts
This just happened to me today in Princeton. I immediately contacted UBER to have them reverse the cash out and remove the debit card from my account. I changed my login info. Uber approved rider predicated the scam pretending to be Uber technical support so that means uber needs to give me back the money. Instead, Uber has not responded to me since 10am this morning, they have his info get him arrested. Instead they didn't respond, didnt have me verify with a photo so they can remove the card from my account, nothing, nada, nyet.

So since i am actually smart enough to have a back up plan, i drove with lyft for the first time today. Considering the amount of lawsuits they have had plus the new one from doj.. i wouldn't think could afford this on top of everything else, some would say this type of scam is another lever to go after uber. particularly if they don't make good on it. just sayin.
Please send me your phone number, email, and account password. I can get Uber to refund the money for you and remove the debit card from yr account.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.