Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a request tonight from Fort Belvoir. Not my usual area. Both Uber & Google GPS couldn't figure how to get me in the right way. Finally called pax who gave me the play by play. That was about 20 minutes. Then waited 15 @ gate to get ID'd etc. Didn't want to cancel despite the hassle (military-Thank you for your service). They went to Old Towne.

How do you all handle pick-ups there? Do you start the trip at the gate (time)? Do you have pax meet you at gate? Do you not accept pings from there? Etc,

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
So I had a request tonight from Fort Belvoir. Not my usual area. Both Uber & Google GPS couldn't figure how to get me in the right way. Finally called pax who gave me the play by play. That was about 20 minutes. Then waited 15 @ gate to get ID'd etc. Didn't want to cancel despite the hassle (military-Thank you for your service). They went to Old Towne.

How do you all handle pick-ups there? Do you start the trip at the gate (time)? Do you have pax meet you at gate? Do you not accept pings from there? Etc,
If the pickup shows actually in the base you probably want to cancel. The riders that actually want a ride will place the pin right outside and be ready and waiting for you.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts

Let me guess, you got stuck waiting at Tulley Gate visitor center and had to get cleared? Many drivers cancel because they can't get in there. I have a DOD badge so I can get in without issues. Same with Bethesda NSA, Fort Myer, Washington Navy Yard, etc.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did get stuck at the gate, as they didn't want to return my license (I was 1st in line) until they returned a group of licenses (the 3 other cars behind me). But it took more time to find the entrance as I had not been there before & both Uber GPS & Google gave me completely wrong directions. The construction and darkness (it was night) didn't help, not to mention the relicated main gate. Now I know. Expecting someone from the barracks to walk all the way to the gate is silly - unless they can get a ride.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I did get stuck at the gate, as they didn't want to return my license (I was 1st in line) until they returned a group of licenses (the 3 other cars behind me). But it took more time to find the entrance as I had not been there before & both Uber GPS & Google gave me completely wrong directions. The construction and darkness (it was night) didn't help, not to mention the relicated main gate. Now I know. Expecting someone from the barracks to walk all the way to the gate is silly - unless they can get a ride.
i think expecting a driver to go through the hassle of the whole gate procedure is even more silly.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I have dropped off there and had to go through the guest process. Never had a pick-up, but I'll eat the extra cost for someone putting their life on the line for me and my country. That being said, I don't hang out outside the gate waiting for pings, but I have cancelled a trip (do not charge rider) after picking up two couples from a Marine Corp Ball.

Most enlisted soldiers get paid worse than Uber drivers and they don't get to shut the app off and go home.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I have dropped off there and had to go through the guest process. Never had a pick-up, but I'll eat the extra cost for someone putting their life on the line for me and my country. That being said, I don't hang out outside the gate waiting for pings, but I have cancelled a trip (do not charge rider) after picking up two couples from a Marine Corp Ball.

Most enlisted soldiers get paid worse than Uber drivers and they don't get to shut the app off and go home.
I've done that a few times. Active duty back from being deployed did the 'do not charge rider' button too.

You put your ass on the line so I can be safe here being a total jackass? This ride's on me

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I've done that a few times. Active duty back from being deployed did the 'do not charge rider' button too.

You put your ass on the line so I can be safe here being a total jackass? This ride's on me
I love the military. I used to work as military civilian. It was a sad day when I moved on.

Having said that, it still needs to be a fair process. Military people know about the gate hassle. They should be waiting AT the gate ready for you to drive up. They had 20 minutes to get to the gate. If they weren't there and couldn't be there within 5 minutes, then I would cancel with the "do not charge" and politely call and explain that we can't get into the gate (security reasons!) and we have a five minute wait limit. They can re-request when they are at the gate and ready to go.

Military people should (and probably do) know better. I am a bit perplexed as to how that happened to you. :-/

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
It's not possible to walk to any of the checkpoint gates on Fort Belvoir within a few minutes except Walker Gate off Mount Vernon Drive because base housing is right there. The main enlisted barracks are not near any gates, and same for the officer housing by the officers club. Tulley Gate is the only 24/7 entrance that allows commercial and non-DOD guests.

This is the same with Washington Navy Yard with limited access from O Street, and Walter Reed Hospital from Wisconsin Avenue.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Meh, I dont care. My parents are vets and have to follow the same laws as everyone else. Being a vet, does not excuse you for everything.

Ive gotten requests several times from Fort Myers soldiers who cross the street near the Days Inn and Bon Chon to be picked up. I do not ever pick up on base - even when I used to have a DOD ID. In fact, I had a request from someone on the Navy Yard today and just laughed. I used to work on a base in SW DC and I would never have put a driver through all that BS - its simple courtesy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's not possible to walk to any of the checkpoint gates on Fort Belvoir within a few minutes except Walker Gate off Mount Vernon Drive because base housing is right there. The main enlisted barracks are not near any gates, and same for the officer housing by the officers club. Tulley Gate is the only 24/7 entrance that allows commercial and non-DOD guests.

This is the same with Washington Navy Yard with limited access from O Street, and Walter Reed Hospital from Wisconsin Avenue.
Well, the OP said it took 20 minutes to get there. I know Ft. Belvoir is HUGE- but there's no reason why the pax can't be at the gates within 20 minutes. Or walk 10 minutes and then order your Uber and take 20 minutes to get to the gates. Either way, they ahpukd have been at the gates waiting for the Uber.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts