Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I was confused, prop 22 passed in November 2020 but the prop 22 guaranteed earnings is included in the screenshot from supposedly February of 2020? 🤔
If you look back to that time frame in your earnings it shows the same guaranteed earnings text 🤦‍♂️ Looks like he took the screenshot at the same time, well within minutes per clock and battery level.

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
Let me remind you what it looks like when Uber is only charging miles and time plus surge from PRE PANDEMIC/PROP 22. This was Valentines Day week right before Covid.
View attachment 627816

61 hours online
173 rides
Only $123 in promotions
7 days worked
$28.36/hr online

That’s a lot of work and a lot of rides. Now look at things POST PANDEMIC AND PROP 22.
View attachment 627817

29 hours online
69 rides
$427 in promotions
5 days worked (less than 3 hours per day on Monday and Thursday I might add)
$48.72/hr online

Played golf Monday, then enjoyed two days off, didn’t start working Saturday till 10pm.

Which one do you want? 😂🤣😂🤣
I'll take the 80/20 or even the 75/25, thank you very much.

I'll be guaranteed most of any surges these companies charge the pax.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
It was profitable because you still had the multipliers, set-your-own-rates, and destination info at that time.
I still don't get how Uber taking 25% of set-your-own rates is worse for the company than an artificial driver shortage they caused by them stubbornly clinging to a business model developed for the pre-pandemic economy when they had a surplus of drivers.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It was profitable because you still had the multipliers, set-your-own-rates, and destination info at that time.
I still don't get how Uber taking 25% of set-your-own rates is worse for the company than an artificial driver shortage they caused by them stubbornly clinging to a business model developed for the pre-pandemic economy when they had a surplus of drivers.
The biggest reason is because set your own fares model does not work. People like @natemansi11 sit at home until someone within 7 minutes of their house is desperate enough to pay 3-5x. The system was also poorly designed in that people on both sides were confused and cancellations were incredibly high.

The second problem with the set your own fare system w a 75/25 split is that under that model, Uber can’t take a loss on a ride. That is a critical part of keeping pick up times in the 4-7 minute range while still keeping fares down for the pax. Uber will gladly pay drivers more than what they charge pax (via incentives like surge and ctbs) to make sure the ride counts stay high and pick up times remain low. Under set your own fares that can’t happen. Drivers don’t pick up the base fare rides and the most important pax (the everyday short ride people) are forced to pay $15-$20 on every ride rather than the $8.64 they have been used to with an occasional $12-20 surge on weekends and busy times. Once it becomes $15-20 on every trip and you have to wait 15-20 minutes to find a driver, Uber loses customers.

Uber is now a publicly traded company and has to make profits. They can’t make profits with a strict 75/25 split and a fleet of drivers who refuse to work for less than the pay of doctors.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I want a minimum mileage and minute wage set by the state and counties like Seattle and NY.
I want to be an actual independent contractor. If too many drivers are in the area and I get no pings so be it. But the 20/80 split would mean Uber would have to raise rates in order for them to get more money and that would be good for us! 😲

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
@Livekilometers96 excellent analysis.

It's true there is a small but significant group of drivers out there like @Nats121 and myself who sit home and cherry pick , and would love even more tools to do so. Usually middle or upper middle class guys doing this basically a hobby or as one of many sources of income. Is a half hour of our time and half a gallon of gas worth it for $3.63, with an upward potential of making 20 bucks...hello no, but for a minimum of $20 bucks, and an upward potential of $100-$200, sure thing! We aren't the hungry ants Uber wants, willing to trade the equity in our overpriced cars and use our own overpriced gas in the unguaranteed 'hope' of making a decent amount that day.

We aren't the majority of drivers but there's still a good lot of us. Uber needed guys like us during the pandemic. Business model reflects that they didn't need us before the pandemic and they don't think they need us now.

There's an old adage in the taxi business that the people who use taxis daily (not the party or airport crowd) are the poorest 10% or richest 10% of the population, rarely anyone in between. Uber yes tries to capture the bottom part and that group would be lost with higher rates.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Uber is now a publicly traded company and has to make profits. They can’t make profits with a strict 75/25 split and a fleet of drivers who refuse to work for less than the pay of doctors.
I think the problem of drivers who refuse to work less than 5x is overstated. I've spoken to six Uber drivers (separately and in person). Among them:
-- four didn't know the FM existed;
-- one refused to use it because he wanted "high volume";
-- one wouldn't go above 2.5x because he believed "no one would ever pay more than that."

Granted, 6 drivers don't provide a meaningful statistic, but it is evident to me that the lack of drivers was driven by fear of covid and PUA far more than 5x-or-nothing drivers.

With covid fear down and PUA gone, the ant horde has returned. There's no reason the FM can't be brought back as well. The 5x drivers can't compete with the base fare ants, so they are out of the equation when the ants are around. But there are still times when the ants are either sleeping, drunk, or sucked into the downtown SD vortex. This is when there are certain areas (namely, north county) where pax have extreme difficulty getting rides because the few drivers available (myself included among them) refuse to work for base fare, no destination info, and long pickups.

This is exactly when having the FM would allow these pax to get rides that they otherwise wouldn't get at all. And Uber can get 25% of something instead of 25% of nothing. So the least Uber can do is turn on the FM feature when there is a shortage of drivers in a large area and it's not practical to envelop that entire area with map surge. Then turn it off when there are enough drivers (not that they would need to, because ants are willing to work for base fare). Do this, instead of telling pax there are few drivers available and to try again later

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
pax have extreme difficulty getting rides because the few drivers available (myself included among them) refuse to work for base fare, no destination info, and long pickups.
No they don’t. I live in North County. Everyday my rides startup here and I haven’t heard one person in quite a while complain about the wait time. But during FM over 50% of the people complained about a wait or the cost.

Being too prideful is costing you $$.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
one wouldn't go above 2.5x because he believed "no one would ever pay more than that."
Haha dumbass. Could have at least tried it once on a night he wouldn't have otherwise worked. He's was probably too scared to ding his acceptance rate, which we know is a mealaningless statistic but he doesn't.

Uber is a brilliant manipulator. I've seen it time and again when I've taken a ride as a passenger.... The people on this forum aren't manipulated but a good lot of drivers are.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
@Livekilometers96 excellent analysis.

It's true there is a small but significant group of drivers out there like @Nats121 and myself who sit home and cherry pick , and would love even more tools to do so. Usually middle or upper middle class guys doing this basically a hobby or as one of many sources of income. Is a half hour of our time and half a gallon of gas worth it for $3.63, with an upward potential of making 20 bucks...hello no, but for a minimum of $20 bucks, and an upward potential of $100-$200, sure thing! We aren't the hungry ants Uber wants, willing to trade the equity in our overpriced cars and use our own overpriced gas in the unguaranteed 'hope' of making a decent amount that day.

We aren't the majority of drivers but there's still a good lot of us. Uber needed guys like us during the pandemic. Business model reflects that they didn't need us before the pandemic and they don't think they need us now.

There's an old adage in the taxi business that the people who use taxis daily (not the party or airport crowd) are the poorest 10% or richest 10% of the population, rarely anyone in between. Uber yes tries to capture the bottom part and that group would be lost with higher rates.

I agree...and I personally feel HORRIBLE for people that driver UBER as their only income. You guys are being abused and used by corporate greed and only those smart enough to stop will not be abused in the way UBER is abusing you now. Was talkig to family at thanksgiving yesterday and everyone i talke to was completely agast at the way UBER has manipulated the app to take advantage of those drivers who tell themselves they have no choice.

Gross Labor Law violations in California are being violated by UBER right now as we speak. AGain, my fight is from what I saw that UBER promised us, more independence and freedom...someting they lied about to get PRop 22 passed so they could flip 180 and completely abuse the uber drivers with no choice. I recomen everony contact their CA politicians, media outlets, business leaders and the like and start burning a searing fire under those at UBER who just dont give a shit about you the driver.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I think the problem of drivers who refuse to work less than 5x is overstated. I've spoken to six Uber drivers (separately and in person). Among them:
-- four didn't know the FM existed;
-- one refused to use it because he wanted "high volume";
-- one wouldn't go above 2.5x because he believed "no one would ever pay more than that."

Granted, 6 drivers don't provide a meaningful statistic, but it is evident to me that the lack of drivers was driven by fear of covid and PUA far more than 5x-or-nothing drivers.

With covid fear down and PUA gone, the ant horde has returned. There's no reason the FM can't be brought back as well. The 5x drivers can't compete with the base fare ants, so they are out of the equation when the ants are around. But there are still times when the ants are either sleeping, drunk, or sucked into the downtown SD vortex. This is when there are certain areas (namely, north county) where pax have extreme difficulty getting rides because the few drivers available (myself included among them) refuse to work for base fare, no destination info, and long pickups.

This is exactly when having the FM would allow these pax to get rides that they otherwise wouldn't get at all. And Uber can get 25% of something instead of 25% of nothing. So the least Uber can do is turn on the FM feature when there is a shortage of drivers in a large area and it's not practical to envelop that entire area with map surge. Then turn it off when there are enough drivers (not that they would need to, because ants are willing to work for base fare). Do this, instead of telling pax there are few drivers available and to try again later

i totally agree, the FM would work and be given a chance to work now that the market is stabilizing that is DEMAND AND SUPPLY. But like i seaid before, UBER never annouced the Fair Multiplier when they went live with it, Not to the dRIVER or the Passengar....and a company like UBER doesnt just make a huge change like that without knowledge of future changes, they did i purposely. They didnt want people to know about it (which is why alot of drivers didnt) and they definetely didnt want it to work (This is why passengars were so upset they were unbeknowst to them accepting 5x trips for months on end before realizing there was an "OFFER" that they could accept of decline ).

UBER set the FM up to fail because they knew the bottom line that there pocket books and controll wouldnt be as full as if they dictated to us price and forced us into acceting work ...which is what they do to us now.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Haha dumbass. Could have at least tried it once on a night he wouldn't have otherwise worked. He's was probably too scared to ding acceptance rate, which we know is a mealaningless statistic but he doesn't.

Uber is a brilliant manipulator. I've seen it time and again when I've taken a ride as a passenger.... The people on this forum aren't manipulated but a good lot of drivers are.

With a PANDEMIC going on , and unemployment and Pandemic assistance going on, there were barely any drivers...I can personally testify to this as I driver almost daily from June 2020 through end of year 2020, people and drivers didny want to risk it.

SO DEMAND WAS WAY MORE THAN SUPPLY, THEREFORE A PREMIUM EXISTED TO REQUEST RIDES. FURTHER, THE PANDEMIC ITSELF WAS A REASON TO CHARGE A PREMIUM FOR UBER RIDES AS IT WAS SUCH A HIGHER RISK THAN NORMAL.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Lice this is again another False statement, a logical fallacy that is more evidence of your lack of critical thinking skills.
The lack of critical think comes from your end kind sir. You are the one that can’t comprehend that drivers are already overpaid relative to the work they do so there is absolutely no chance that the industry will up and switch back to a model that makes more money for the drivers, less money for Uber and fewer overall customers!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts