Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I remember when a Jumbo Jack was .99 or 1.29 w/cheese back in the early-mid 2000s. I went to a Jack In the Box a few months ago where the same Jumbo Jack was 2.89 or 3.09 w/cheese. Went again last night and the price has gone up a full dollar and a half to 4.80-something. For reference, this burger used to be on their value menu.
I can only afford a JUNIOR jumbo jack (no cheese), or a chicken sandwich, but not both. Only 2 months ago, both were $1.49. Occasionally I got one of each. Today it went up to $1.89. I think a year or two ago it was $0.99.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
There has also been, separate inflation issues, upward pressures on wages/labor as a result of the pandemic.
Inflation? Higher gas prices? No problem! As independent contractors, we can raise our prices like any other business on the planet and simply pass the increased costs to others.

Oh wait, no we can't! :mad:

I guess we're bottom feeders after all.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Uber is now a publicly traded company and has to make profits. They can’t make profits with a strict 75/25 split and a fleet of drivers who refuse to work for less than the pay of doctors.
I think the problem of drivers who refuse to work less than 5x is overstated. I've spoken to six Uber drivers (separately and in person). Among them:
-- four didn't know the FM existed;
-- one refused to use it because he wanted "high volume";
-- one wouldn't go above 2.5x because he believed "no one would ever pay more than that."

Granted, 6 drivers don't provide a meaningful statistic, but it is evident to me that the lack of drivers was driven by fear of covid and PUA far more than 5x-or-nothing drivers.

With covid fear down and PUA gone, the ant horde has returned. There's no reason the FM can't be brought back as well. The 5x drivers can't compete with the base fare ants, so they are out of the equation when the ants are around. But there are still times when the ants are either sleeping, drunk, or sucked into the downtown SD vortex. This is when there are certain areas (namely, north county) where pax have extreme difficulty getting rides because the few drivers available (myself included among them) refuse to work for base fare, no destination info, and long pickups.

This is exactly when having the FM would allow these pax to get rides that they otherwise wouldn't get at all. And Uber can get 25% of something instead of 25% of nothing. So the least Uber can do is turn on the FM feature when there is a shortage of drivers in a large area and it's not practical to envelop that entire area with map surge. Then turn it off when there are enough drivers (not that they would need to, because ants are willing to work for base fare). Do this, instead of telling pax there are few drivers available and to try again later

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Why would they though? It only benefits you the driver and takes money and customers away from Uber.
I literally devoted a full paragraph explaining why everyone would benefit. Did you get a chance to read it?

No they don’t. I live in North County. Everyday my rides startup here and I haven’t heard one person in quite a while complain about the wait time. But during FM over 50% of the people complained about a wait or the cost.
I still get spammed by pings 20 minutes away all the time, especially 10pm-6am. So yeah, they are.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Well think about it and the surge and the search Uber just incorporates into their take of the price so so when you hit a surge and you look at how much you made it's like 40% of the actual price the customer paid without the search the search it's something like 80% In some cases the surge is a lie And Uber is purposely misleading us which is fraudulent
my head hurts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts