Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was shaping up to be a slow one, so I went online (XL) from home so I could take care of few things around the house. Finally got a ping mid afternoon. Only 3 miles away. I arrive to find a gated entrance. Text pax twice. About to cancel when I get the call. "I think I dropped the pin in the wrong place." Oh and also, "I'm having problems texting." Ok fine, please cancel and re-request. I get his ping again at the address he confirmed verbally. Arrive to find - a gated entrance. Call him right away. NO ANSWER. Wait until the 5 minutes are up, and cancel. When I look at the transactions, I see that his first location was outside of surge, *his actual location was surging*.

Go home. Another ping. I'm on the 2nd to the last step from the bottom. CANCELLED. Go back upstairs.

Couple hours later I finally get another ping. 6 miles away but XL at 2.1X. Yay. Arrive to find - no one. Call pax. "Did you use pin drop? Can you please confirm your location?" She is still another *10* miles away, in a DIFFERENT CITY.

What. The. Hell.

So stats for today, 4 pings accepted, 0 rides completed.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
what a sneaky thing to do...drop the pin outside the surge. When i get pings at apartments, i drive to the clubhouse or ping set my timer and when it quacks i cancel. i hate driving through apartment complexes. A funny thing pax do is order uberSelect when it's surging thinking they are saving money. the only time this is true is in my market is if x is above 2. If it goes higher, then select starts surging. A 1.8 select surge pays more than a 3.1 x surge. I love hanging out at concerts. I'll get to the parking area a bit before the concert ends. get the ping, start the timer and after 5 min cancel if the pax isnt there. i keep doing this until surge is high enough i make an effort to find the pax. Made $21 last weekend on canceled pings for 3 rider no show. (select cancelation is $10) then got a 5.1 select surge and found my pax.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Removing the pin-drop function would severely hinder Millennials' ability to request a ride when they're drunk.

Travis isn't here for you; he's here for his entitled pax.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I got played once, guy dropped the pin while riding in the airport charter bus. Then texted he goofed, and the correct address.
I fell for it, but 1* him for scamming me out of a surge fare.

Never again

·
Registered
197 Posts
That was months ago, and I couldn't prove it was a surge without a screenshot of the map prior to the request. Something's you/I have to learn the hard way. Probably lost $10 at most.
I gladly collected fee. At one point I thought that somebody's car broke down on FWY and needed pick up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
what a sneaky thing to do...drop the pin outside the surge. When i get pings at apartments, i drive to the clubhouse or ping set my timer and when it quacks i cancel. i hate driving through apartment complexes. A funny thing pax do is order uberSelect when it's surging thinking they are saving money. the only time this is true is in my market is if x is above 2. If it goes higher, then select starts surging. A 1.8 select surge pays more than a 3.1 x surge. I love hanging out at concerts. I'll get to the parking area a bit before the concert ends. get the ping, start the timer and after 5 min cancel if the pax isnt there. i keep doing this until surge is high enough i make an effort to find the pax. Made $21 last weekend on canceled pings for 3 rider no show. (select cancelation is $10) then got a 5.1 select surge and found my pax.
I got a Select surge at 3.0 (maybe 3.5? does it go that high?), anyways, I drove the guy 18 miles in about 15 mins, I think he was about to get lucky so he didn't care, I checked my cut of the fare afterwards and saw it was $130 for that ride, I got out of that area so fast because I felt like I just did something dirty, but hey, the guy requested it, agreed to it, I just drove, but yea, that was sickening to see, but I'll take it. ;)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've given them screenshots of it surging on the driver app and the address where I picked up in the same minute that was without surge. They said the there was no surge and the driver app was wrong. What????

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I gladly collected fee. At one point I thought that somebody's car broke down on FWY and needed pick up.
That was my first thought! I was about to cancel and call him a tow truck, because I don't play on the side of the highway without my Ambulance and the ability to shut down the lane our entire road!

But then he texted me it was a mistake like a foreign exchange student.

And I fell for it. Lesson learned :(

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I've given them screenshots of it surging on the driver app and the address where I picked up in the same minute that was without surge. They said the there was no surge and the driver app was wrong. What????
Uber's initial response is to ignore your request while still answering the email. And tell you that you're wrong, and inform you they could never possibly pay you for your work.
Wunderbar Uber!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Once I arrive at the pin my car doesn't move without a pax. I've had a few who have entered their drop location as their pickup location. I park collect my coin and go. If they call and it's been 5 mins since pin acceptance I tell them to cancel so I can collect the Uber pennies. Either way I make sure I'm paid for my time.

If I receive a ping with a less than 5 min ETA, my wheels don't move for the minute difference between the ETA and 5 mins, too many cancels upon of rival caused this strategy.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Never call pax. Get to the pin and wait 5 minutes and cancel, easiest money you wil ever make on uber. Wait again, he will request another pick up, and you will be right there.
For markets that still retain cancel fees, yes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Today was shaping up to be a slow one, so I went online (XL) from home so I could take care of few things around the house. Finally got a ping mid afternoon. Only 3 miles away. I arrive to find a gated entrance. Text pax twice. About to cancel when I get the call. "I think I dropped the pin in the wrong place." Oh and also, "I'm having problems texting." Ok fine, please cancel and re-request. I get his ping again at the address he confirmed verbally. Arrive to find - a gated entrance. Call him right away. NO ANSWER. Wait until the 5 minutes are up, and cancel. When I look at the transactions, I see that his first location was outside of surge, *his actual location was surging*.

Go home. Another ping. I'm on the 2nd to the last step from the bottom. CANCELLED. Go back upstairs.

Couple hours later I finally get another ping. 6 miles away but XL at 2.1X. Yay. Arrive to find - no one. Call pax. "Did you use pin drop? Can you please confirm your location?" She is still another *10* miles away, in a DIFFERENT CITY.

What. The. Hell.

So stats for today, 4 pings accepted, 0 rides completed.
I had a drunk party boy request a ride and he dropped the pin outside the surge area he was actually in. I was also in the surge area. So I drove to the call and the jackass called me back from the non surge to pick him up in the surge area. I had to blow up the uber help email about 8 times before I got someone with a functioning brain to actually read my email and credit me with the surge differential. The first seven uber dumbasses simply wrote back that the request came from a non surge area. Inundate uber we emails if you have to!

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
Call pax = problem solved.
I never call a pax. The whole motivation for Uber was Travis Kaladick wanted to push a button and have a car show up. If one pushes a button and a driver has to call the pax to ask "where the hell are you", then Uber's technology has failed. Riders being charged $5 for not being at the pin trains them to have an accurate pin drop in the app. Then the app works.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had some dumbass drop a pin 4 miles from their actual location...

When I got to the pin, it was nothing. A small 2 car length paved "road" and that was it...

Pax calls and tells me where she was, I said "ok, i'll be there in about 5 minutes"

I made sure I started the trip before going to pick her dumbass up, too.

I should have taken my 5 bucks and moved on... (Well, 3.75 after Uber's cut)

·
Registered
197 Posts
That was my first thought! I was about to cancel and call him a tow truck, because I don't play on the side of the highway without my Ambulance and the ability to shut down the lane our entire road!

But then he texted me it was a mistake like a foreign exchange student.

And I fell for it. Lesson learned :(
This was actually some gated community, I dont know of wht kind, but I was so pissed that i drove on FWY pass that exit with no reasson, had to come back to find out that it gated community and I just waited there then 5 minutes, tried one call, nobody answered and I gave up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts