Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://mashable.com/2015/08/07/elon-musk-uber-silence/

Two days ago Elon Musk was asked about his ties with uber. He responded with silence.

Now what was he thinking?? My assumption is, why would I need uber, I have the resources to create my own app. I have the cars that they want, I can maintenance them cheaper than uber. Why would I need uber. The answer to his thoughts is very simple. He has no tie to uber, he doesn't need them, uber is a silly app that can be created by the correct team of engineers in a couple of weeks

Based on this assumption, I have pondered more about the idea of ubers future.

If tesla can create an app, then so can ford, gm, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, etc. so why would these car companies that can create self driving cars need uber? The answer is simple, they don't.

Whoever the analyst are that gave uber a $50 billion dollar valuation are idiots. Do you think the automakers are going to cut uber in on something that they don't need a 'partner' for?

The fact is the auto industry is leaps and bounds in front of uber. Uber has nothing, no capital, just running at negative revenue.

Even google, they use lexus' vehicles. None of these apps have the facilities to mass produce enough vehicles to satisfy the requirements of society.

My money is on the auto industry. Uber, Lyft, side car, they all claim driverless cars. Even colonick states get rid of the driver and we can save you money. Guess what Travis, the automakers are saying get rid of uber and we can make the ride even cheaper. Seems that Travis' own words are coming back to haunt him.

All these apps can develop their own driverless cars, but who's going to manufacture them? None of them have the facilities to do so. By the time they get the facilities to do it, the automakers will be in the market with their own solutions/apps

Seeing the numbers that were released through an uber leak, they can't IPO, no one would invest. There headed 90 miles per hour down a dead end street

All of the uber drivers, both former and current will have our day. We will watch jack ass Travis' and his egotism go down in a ball of flame.

Everyone realizes why they keep reducing rates on an uber ride? It's because their liquid burn rate. They were trying to squeeze more money out of the economy because they are overspending.

Free ride credits, free food, free everything. They keep giving away money. Will they be able to recover from it. My belief, no way in hell

They have given away to many freebies and the profit they do make isn't enough to sustain the company.

For a company that has no capital equipment and there only overhead is really office rent and salaries they are burning through it faster than they can make it.

Eventually the seed money is gone. There's only so many billion the banks are going to give you once the news comes out, tesla has their own app and there is no need for uber.

Travis wants to buy a bunch of tesla's but will Elon sell them to him or just launch his own app?

Anyone with money vested in uber should pull out and fast. There is no way the auto industry is going to give control to a joke of a tech company that can't even go one day without the app crashing.

How many business' out there, that have been around for 5 years still has so many technical issues? This is what happens when you let children run a business.

Take heart all, our day is coming. Travis will go down. Because we are just drivers and he's just an ass, I mean app.

And, you all know why the auto industry is going to kick uber to the curb 'because they can'

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice post Optimus!

I agree with you that at the end of day, the car makers do not need Uber once they can develop such App themselves. Or, why don't car makers partner with Google instead of Uber?

The only valuable "Asset" uber has is the customers base and behaviors, which Google also has them since they own Google Map and Waze. $50B is a joke....

Regarding to Elon's 6-second silent response on the conference call, that could mean 2 things: Either Tesla is developing sth in house (they don't need Uber), or , Elon and Travis are in talking a partnership deal. If my 2nd assumption is right, that means lots drivers need to "upgrade" to any of Tesla models(Telsa will sell some cheaper models later), but, do we have money/down payment for that?

Either way, I don't think it is going to benefit the majority of existing Uber drivers...we will see.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Spot on,but I think before all these driverless vehicle idea can kick in (which is 5 to 10 years away) Google will destroy uber for good.
In order for Google to stay on top of what it does best (info,data,advertising ) it needs to get involved in ride sharing business (already testing it
in Israel ,RideWith) or über will take over.Google was one of the earliest uber investor @ 400 hundred million ,not sure what's the return rate on that ,but I think it is good enough to crush them ,without spending any additional dollar,its needless to say they don't need to spand any penny on local/state level regulators (uber already did it for them).
Say google does launch tomorrow in LA and offers $1.5/mile to drivers and $.50/mile to riders for next few moths ,who is going to drive for them and most importantly no riders.Everyone will switch to Google.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

Two days ago Elon Musk was asked about his ties with uber. He responded with silence.

Now what was he thinking?? My assumption is, why would I need uber, I have the resources to create my own app. I have the cars that they want, I can maintenance them cheaper than uber. Why would I need uber. The answer to his thoughts is very simple. He has no tie to uber, he doesn't need them, uber is a silly app that can be created by the correct team of engineers in a couple of weeks

If tesla can create an app, then so can ford, gm, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, etc. so why would these car companies that can create self driving cars need uber? The answer is simple, they don't.

Whoever the analyst are that gave uber a $50 billion dollar valuation are idiots. Do you think the automakers are going to cut uber in on something that they don't need a 'partner' for?

The fact is the auto industry is leaps and bounds in front of uber. Uber has nothing, no capital, just running at negative revenue.

Even google, they use lexus' vehicles. None of these apps have the facilities to mass produce enough vehicles to satisfy the requirements of society.

My money is on the auto industry. Uber, Lyft, side car, they all claim driverless cars. Even colonick states get rid of the driver and we can save you money. Guess what Travis, the automakers are saying get rid of uber and we can make the ride even cheaper. Seems that Travis' own words are coming back to haunt him.

All these apps can develop their own driverless cars, but who's going to manufacture them? None of them have the facilities to do so. By the time they get the facilities to do it, the automakers will be in the market with their own solutions/apps

Seeing the numbers that were released through an uber leak, they can't IPO, no one would invest. There headed 90 miles per hour down a dead end street

All of the uber drivers, both former and current will have our day. We will watch jack ass Travis' and his egotism go down in a ball of flame.

Everyone realizes why they keep reducing rates on an uber ride? It's because their liquid burn rate. They were trying to squeeze more money out of the economy because they are overspending.

Free ride credits, free food, free everything. They keep giving away money. Will they be able to recover from it. My belief, no way in hell

They have given away to many freebies and the profit they do make isn't enough to sustain the company.

For a company that has no capital equipment and there only overhead is really office rent and salaries they are burning through it faster than they can make it.

Eventually the seed money is gone. There's only so many billion the banks are going to give you once the news comes out, tesla has their own app and there is no need for uber.

Travis wants to buy a bunch of tesla's but will Elon sell them to him or just launch his own app?

Anyone with money vested in uber should pull out and fast. There is no way the auto industry is going to give control to a joke of a tech company that can't even go one day without the app crashing.

How many business' out there, that have been around for 5 years still has so many technical issues? This is what happens when you let children run a business.

Take heart all, our day is coming. Travis will go down. Because we are just drivers and he's just an ass, I mean app.

And, you all know why the auto industry is going to kick uber to the curb 'because they can'
Right on the money!

Uber COULD have beaten them all with the drivers on their side.

We know how that went.

Uber's day is coming.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks OU & chicabby both for sharing insightful articles and discussion surrounding the possible macro landscape surrounding ride share.

Whether it be Tesla or any auto manufacturer entering the space with a "go it alone" strategy or partnering with Uber in rideshare, IS an interesting question. I've followed the rideshare space closely followed by strategic moves that I felt kept me in front of the herd - barely in front, but in front nonetheless. What I do know is that it is impossible to develop a sound business strategy that you can rely on, in the current chaotic rideshare and app generated 'farm out' business landscape.

However, without delving into specific challenges and opportunities in the transportation space going forward, I still see opportunity for those nimble and positioned to make moves.

One thing I've learned over the years investing and following the market for 20 years in general - is that when a true genius and brilliant mind (think Musk & Jobs) of the generation speaks - take heed to every word they say. The challenge and equal and perhaps more importance, is making your move AHEAD of what they DONT say (not referring specifically to Musks silence in answering the analyists question).

One thing being overlooked in Uber's defense, to make this fair - is that the VC community investing in Uber - are not stupid, nor do they make decisions to invest with the limited financial info and metrics available to the public. Once Uber becomes public we get the opportunity to see what the VC's see. On the other hand, VC's do not bat 1.000.

Thanks again for sharing. Place your bets!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Thanks OU & chicabby both for sharing insightful articles and discussion surrounding the possible macro landscape surrounding ride share.

Whether it be Tesla or any auto manufacturer entering the space with a "go it alone" strategy or partnering with Uber in rideshare, IS an interesting question. I've followed the rideshare space closely followed by strategic moves that I felt kept me in front of the herd - barely in front, but in front nonetheless. What I do know is that it is impossible to develop a sound business strategy that you can rely on, in the current chaotic rideshare and app generated 'farm out' business landscape.

However, without delving into specific challenges and opportunities in the transportation space going forward, I still see opportunity for those nimble and positioned to make moves.

One thing I've learned over the years investing and following the market for 20 years in general - is that when a true genius and brilliant mind (think Musk & Jobs) of the generation speaks - take heed to every word they say. The challenge and equal and perhaps more importance, is making your move AHEAD of what they DONT say (not referring specifically to Musks silence in answering the analyists question).

One thing being overlooked in Uber's defense, to make this fair - is that the VC community investing in Uber - are not stupid, nor do they make decisions to invest with the limited financial info and metrics available to the public. Once Uber becomes public we get the opportunity to see what the VC's see. On the other hand, VC's do not bat 1.000.

Thanks again for sharing. Place your bets!
In Uber or the field, my bet is on the field.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
TravisK may be unlikable but he's making bank right now. I agree with the OP, but at this point TK has already won. My only bet is that when TK doesn't get what he 'wants', he'll be crying like a baby, but a rich baby.
No one questions his riches.

It's this business model that will collapse.

My biggest beef is with the spineless politicians that are so easily bought off.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You forgot the biggest investors in uber, the ELEPHANT in the room: the gazillion drivers. They provide thier cars, time, most of insurance (via the unsuspecting insurance co these drivers are signed up with), and 25-40% of each fare to uber. That's why it's worth $50 bil.
Until you figure out a better deal for all these drivers, don't kid yourself; uber is here to stay. And they 've a tease n denial weapon to hold drivers by their balls; it's called SURGE. So save us the empty gibberish. There is no meat here. *Yawn*

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You forgot the biggest investors in uber, the ELEPHANT in the room: the gazillion drivers. They provide thier cars, time, most of insurance (via the unsuspecting insurance co these drivers are signed up with), and 25-40% of each fare to uber. That's why it's worth $50 bil.
Until you figure out a better deal for all these drivers, don't kid yourself; uber is here to stay. And they 've a tease n denial weapon to hold drivers by their balls; it's called SURGE. So save us the empty gibberish. There is no meat here. *Yawn*
Until the cars start breaking down and there is no money to repair hem.

Most UberX drivers haven't hit that wall yet.

Give it time.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Good post. Your predictions seem plausible. Unfortunately, Travis will win. If winning is based on personal cash in the bank. It's easy to bankrupt a company after you have personally milked it dry and put cash into your personal accounts by way of salary, bonuses and God knows what else. In your scenario, big auto will buy Uber not so much for the app, but for the clients. This scenario will just be another big payday for Travis.

He's already wealthy. I hope that the Karma Gods ruin his life in other ways to even the score for ruining the lives of so many Uber drivers. Sub Prime car leases come to mind.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
No one questions his riches.
It's this business model that will collapse.
My biggest beef is with the spineless politicians that are so easily bought off.
When I look at Kalanick, I see him as the guy who was excited when he first saw his first 4 cars on the road with Uber. (Not THAT long ago) Uber is his game and the IPO is the top level. So even if it collapses, he's reached heights most of these Silicon Valley start up engineers only dream about. Even the start-up and VC investors know that most of their bets go down in flames but they invest anyhow waiting for the next Google or Uber.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Most of the internet companies are over valued. It's been a problem since the internet first started. First Aol, compuserve,earthlink
ect. Then myspace came along and that went down the drain then facebook. Do I think facebook is over valued absolutely. The reason
why google has had stability in the marketplace for awhile now is because they sell an actual service adwords. The have other things they sell
as well its not just that but Adwords in the cream of the crop for them but it actual creates revenue. You see you can have all the traffic in the
world but if you do not convert it then you do not have any revenue. Shit of google wanted to they can start putting cars on the road and pay
drivers a good rate per mile.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
If / when Uber fires a million drivers with driverless cars, can you imagine what the drivers will do in these cars? Considering what passengers do when the car owner is behind the wheel, my imagination runs wild thinking of an ex-driver getting into a driverless Uber car. Those cars will be destroyed from the inside out in no time.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Most of the internet companies are over valued. It's been a problem since the internet first started. First Aol, compuserve,earthlink
ect. Then myspace came along and that went down the drain then facebook. Do I think facebook is over valued absolutely. The reason
why google has had stability in the marketplace for awhile now is because they sell an actual service adwords. The have other things they sell
as well its not just that but Adwords in the cream of the crop for them but it actual creates revenue. You see you can have all the traffic in the
world but if you do not convert it then you do not have any revenue. Shit of google wanted to they can start putting cars on the road and pay
drivers a good rate per mile.
Google doesn't want that liability.

Neither does Uber.

If they were made to follow the transportation laws everyone else does, game over.
They would be a profitable app reliant on licensed providers.
Instead, they can screw ignorant drivers who risk everything for nothing.

That's why I blame politicians.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts