Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I respect your input. Had thousands of dollars in bills to cover Wednesday, fixed annuity means same $ each month. cash flow issue, solved.

it has been said, "To see ourselves as others see us." How we see ourselves is not how others see us.

I am truly happy, but I am also very broken inside, really broken. So you are wise, I mean that. I had a really great life, and I also had a horrible life, really dark. This is an anonymous forum, we can all be honest here, and i appreciate your honest feedback.

Who cares what I say or think? You all our your own bosses and the CEO's of your life. I really hope that you all are doing well with Uber.

One thing I really value is honesty. Thank you.

SInce my posts seems to have attracted a lot of attention, and it is anonymous, in time i will share more about me, in the hopes that i could help others like me. It is a very dark story, but also a story of hope. I am not like any of you, in many ways, and most of it not good. Not a criminal, nothing like that. Much darker.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
i worked with an Italian guy at AT&T Capital, he thought he knew everything about women. Divorced three times, walked out on 6 kids but...

He would tell us that the reason women love shopping for shoes was because no matter how fat they got, they could always find nice shoes. I grew up with three sisters, no brothers. Never heard that one before. LOL. I'll never forget that. He also told us that if a women brushes back her hair behind her ear, she wanted to sleep with you. I miss him.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
turns out this site can be fun, no need to take it so seriously. Oscar Wilde said, "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." It makes the world much more interesting than if we agreed on everything.

·
Registered
437 Posts
turns out this site can be fun, no need to take it so seriously. Oscar Wilde said, "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." It makes the world much more interesting than if we agreed on everything.
I think you misunderstood the overall idea of the site. It’s not a contest who does better, who’s smarter, who makes more money. It’s a place where people exchange ideas and experiences. It’s not a “one size fits all” situation. People have different circumstances, goals, markets… in my market I’ll never make $100 a day consistently. I will if UE is running the $25 for 5 promo, but with an average of 1 ping every 1.5 hours even with stacking it just doesn’t happen Monday through Thursday.

I’m still considering returning to doing DD, too, and nickel and diming it to $100/day, but, frankly, I feel DD is abusive - both physically (on the car) and mentally (on the driver).

Reading others’ notes I’ve improved my numbers. But their notes weren’t on how much they make. They were on how they make it. I’ll not make as much as them, but I’ll maximize what I make in my market.

It’s somehow a contest to you. I’m not sure why.

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
6,975 Posts
I think you misunderstood the overall idea of the site. It’s not a contest who does better, who’s smarter, who makes more money. It’s a place where people exchange ideas and experiences. It’s not a “one size fits all” situation. People have different circumstances, goals, markets… in my market I’ll never make $100 a day consistently. I will if UE is running the $25 for 5 promo, but with an average of 1 ping every 1.5 hours even with stacking it just doesn’t happen Monday through Thursday.

I’m still considering returning to doing DD, too, and nickel and diming it to $100/day, but, frankly, I feel DD is abusive - both physically (on the car) and mentally (on the driver).

Reading others’ notes I’ve improved my numbers. But their notes weren’t on how much they make. They were on how they make it. I’ll not make as much as them, but I’ll maximize what I make in my market.

It’s somehow a contest to you. I’m not sure why.
My rural market would kill most people here. Over saturated with drivers and few and far in between pings. Some evenings between 5:00 PM and 11:00 PM I may not get a single eats ping, a good night might yield 3 deliveries in those 6 hours.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I don't do food. But week after week there are so many threads where drivers are bemoaning the pitiful pittance of pay that these food delivery (grocery shoppers included) portion out.

So, is anyone making a living doing this work? If so, care to share how you are pulling it off?
I was, until this pandemic. Now I run GrubHub and UberEats, but I'm still not where I was.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't do food. But week after week there are so many threads where drivers are bemoaning the pitiful pittance of pay that these food delivery (grocery shoppers included) portion out.

So, is anyone making a living doing this work? If so, care to share how you are pulling it off?
I average 1k a week working 5 days, and more when I have promotions, or quests. Actually had a quest pay out an extra 385 for 80 trips this past weekend. The way I'm pulling it off is I found the perfect spot that is just super busy with national chains, and mom, and pops restaurants everywhere that keeps me going non stop. (I stay AWAY from McDonalds) I use to live in new orleans, and I did decent there, but not like this spot I'm at now just outside of Atlanta. For me I do Breakfast, and lunch. I do some dinner sometime, but found in my area dinner for whatever reason I seem to be wasting a lot of time waiting on meals far more than I do for lunch, and breakfast. I'd say for anyone wanting to do deliveries who may not be getting a lot of pings in their area to branch out a bit, and try other spots. Took me about 4 months when I moved here to find exactly where I need to set up at that made me the most money. Try breakfast if you have not because I mainly did lunch, and dinner before I realized how good breakfast does in my area. Everywhere is different so you just have to figure it out by going out, and doing it. Also you don't have to accept every ping. Make sure, and get the ones that pay decent, and leave the others for the rookies that don't know any better 😂....Sometimes you will have to multi app with grub hub, and/or door dash if ubereats isn't as popular in your area, but luckily for me I do just fine with just doing ubereats. I could go on, and on, but so I don't write a book I'll leave it there.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I do it full time in Houston and like written by others you have to use more than one app to make it worthwhile.

I rely on GrubHub, DoorDash and Uber for my main delivery jobs and will sprinkle in Favor ( Texas based company ) for a few extra dollars.

GrubHub pays the best but has the most issues where Eats pays the least and has the second most issues.

If you do Uber then you have to have everything added to your account and still need a secondary option to run like Hub or Dash because Eats will not make you anything.

You must focus on the mileage you do and look at the region you work.

If you have a lot of drivers in your area you will not make a lot, so you must work in areas you know you have less drivers and for me I avoid Sugarland area of Houston and the poor sections because no one tips there and you get nothing but two dollar orders.

GrubHub does pay very well here but again the whole thing is a mess down here but I usually get at least one or two thirty dollar orders per day and usually it is the Sushi or Mexican restaurants.

So again multiple apps must be ran if you are going to do it on a full time scale.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I work all over the Dallas area. Three shifts/day, 7 days/week. morning thru lunch, 8-2, a break, then back at 5-9 minimum weeknights. From 8-11, all my money came from Starbucks. The very best one is close to a hospital. 90% of my runs were to medical offices, runs of 5 minutes or less, $4-$6 runs, but they added up. This worked well for years, and two weeks ago, suddenly Starbucks is unreliable at best. Today, I call all of them before work. Depending on staff, some turn off Uber, others close the dining room. It can change daily. Starbucks is my exception. Yesterday 18 runs, none under $7, but only one Starbucks run. Up until last week, in 3 hours i would have nine $4 Starbucks runs on any breakfast during the week.

On weekends, I sit between three breakfast joints, open 7-2, forget Starbucks. Lunch seems normal for me 7 days/week. In a 7 hour shift, I made $21.75/hour yesterday, good for a Monday, which is usually my worst day of the week. 18 runs, $152 for the day yesterday.

On Friday and Saturday nights, I move out of the suburbs and work either Fort Worth or Dallas. In or near the major city, I am still busy past 1 a.m., not possible in the outlying suburbs.

I am reaching $900/week minimum, by the Uber timeclock, which seems to under report hours worked, it is showing a 60 hour week that I needed to get there. I am rarely parked, usually have two orders running the majority of the time.

At the end of any week, my average per trip works out to $9/trip. I try my best to log 20 trips/day, more on Saturday and Sunday. In my area, it is extremely rare for me to see another Uber driver. Everyone i see is running DD.

I did have to change how I was working. Weekday mornings were $4 runs, only Starbucks, and only if the run is less than 1 mile long. They take mere minutes to complete. In the last two weeks, due to labor issues, Starbucks is not giving me any hits, though. No longer out and working at 8 a.m., starting at 10 a.m. now. When the lunch rush starts, I won't take anything under $7 for the rest of the day/night. I dropped my banned restaurant list. Seems places are getting better pumping out Uber orders. Rather than work a relatively defined area, which worked for years, I now follow the orders wherever they may take me, if it meets my financial rules. I go by $/hour, not $/mile. I am trying to improve my trips/hour, always stuck at 2/hour. Can get up to three/trips/hour now. I try to eliminate dead heading, try to keep an order cued up at all times.

I am a little more patient about waiting on orders. I will now wait 5 minutes for an order, used to cancel immediately if it was not ready.

I know that many of you have wear and tear concerns, and fuel costs. My fuel costs are consistently 10% of my gross revenue/day. My car is brand new. I am logging 25,000 miles/year on it, and in 4 years I'll replace it with another new car, avoids repairs.

It is scary out there. Everything changed here about two weeks ago. I'm trying new areas all the time now. Instead of going offline and deadheading back to my base camp, I leave Uber on at all times, never knowing where I will have to go to hit my number, but I cannot believe, but I am hitting my targets.

I do not know how it is you you out there. I try to stay positive. Last night the day was not looking too good. At 8:35 p.m. last night, I got two hits in a rural area, and made $35 on two runs, and yes, one was Mcd's. All I can say is don't give up. Seems that the later it gets in the evening, the less drivers are working, and what is looking like a poor day can turn around quickly, but until two weeks ago, I never worked past 11 p.m. Now I often get home well after 1 a.m. on weekends. Same thing on weeknights. I have to go to restaurants i would normally skip late at night, McD's, Sonic, but I'll go anywhere and try anything today, and I refuse to quit until I hit at least $150 on a weekday.

I have no wife, no kids, just a dog and a gf who does not work. So I can go out at 9 a.m. and stay out past 1 .am., with a meal break around 4 p.m. dining out wherever I find myself that day. I know this is just not possible for many of you. It only seems to be getting worse out there. All I can say is, keep trying new things, new areas, what works for you may not work for anyone else, but it is your business, your region, you know what is best for you.

I only do Uber, I know that is unusual. I pray a lot while working. I am thankful every day when i hit goal. It isn't easy, what always worked before does not work today. All I know is that i must try every day, stay positive.

Doubt this input will help any of you, but it is working for me. Good hunting!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Please spare me the negativism about how I only make minimum wage, wear and tear, all that bs. Only thing I care about is hitting over $900/week, and I often exceed $1,000. It is my time, my business, my life, my budget. If you disagree with this stuff, what works for you? I do not need to hear about how delusional I am doing this.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think you’re just using your gf for cover. 😂

Sweetie, you’re talking to yourself. It has been said on this site a bazillion times - you do YOU.

But if you don’t care about per mile or per hour, you really should look into DD. Between the two of them, you’ll be rolling in dough. You may be sobbing while you do it, but you’ll be rolling.

You are seeing aggression before it ever comes at you. Perhaps thay’s why you see anyone who has a different method as an enemy.

I told you before - chill, man. No one’s coming at you.

I’m really glad you’re happy and crossing all you “t”s. That’s GREAT!

But don’t you think that noobs should hear about other methods, too, then decide what works for them? They may very well end up in your camp. But KNOWINGLY.

Go get ‘em, Tiger!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Good luck to all.
Luck is a mathematical myth. Every decision you're asked to make in society has a built in edge against you. It's no coincidence that your decision to "cut back on unnecessary expenses" is never "splurge a little on unnecessary expenses". You produce, I consume. That's how tax farms work.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
A working theory...

10-1 today was horrible, $30. Stayed out there at 1:19 p.m. all hell broke loose. In the next two hours I was running $40/hour. Theory is that everyone else got frustrated and logged off, leaving everything for me. Stay positive.

·
Registered
437 Posts
A working theory...

10-1 today was horrible, $30. Stayed out there at 1:19 p.m. all hell broke loose. In the next two hours I was running $40/hour. Theory is that everyone else got frustrated and logged off, leaving everything for me. Stay positive.
That’s possible. Also lunch usually picks up around 1. It’s when people realize they’ll have to work through lunch. At 12 they still hope they’ll be able to take it. 2 pm and later are those who got stuck. They’re usually lousy tippers because they’re mad at everyone. Not without exceptions. Some think “at least I can order in; this poor schmuck is stuck driving it here…”

I have acouple of 2 pm regulars who tip well and are easy. And one that I avoid at all cost. I see that corner - buhbye, ****.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Parting thoughts:

Stacked Orders:
I love them, rarely turn them down, about 50% of the time I have stacked orders. An example from today.
Got a hit $8.50, 10 minute run. On my way to the pick up, I get a second hit, same place, $5 more. Hear me out. Both drops were at the same apartment complex, so that $5 one you would all decline took an extra 90 seconds to complete. Turned a $8 run into $14 with zero effort. Happens every day with me. I encourage you to try it.

From the Wall Street Journal:
McDonald's, CHick-Fila and Wendy's companies told all franchisees to shut down their dining rooms, labor shortage, etc. Seems Starbucks has decided to just turn Uber off.

It also reports that sales with food delivery is way up. Only company trending down is InstaCart, and who does groceries? Not me?

There is money to be made, we just have to think outside the box.

Motivation tip:
Breakfast/lunch I shoot for 10 runs. 2 years of data tells me do 20 runs/day, and you exceed $150 everyday. At 1 p.m. today i was discouraged. 5 runs, $32, wanted to go home. But my 10 run rule made me stay out. 15 minutes later, when the rest of you gave up, I made $40/hour for the next 2 hours. I'm home early, over goal, and ready for weed/beer etc.

One last thing:
I stopped even looking at replies. No need. I am just going to post positive messages about what is working for me. Have fun debating and flaming me. I'm figuring this out and hitting my goals each day and week. My only interest is helping you be successful at this, like me. Don't hear anyone else hitting $1,000/week here. If you are great.

Good fortune, stay safe. good night.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts