Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Since some city councils don't have the backbone to stand up to Uber, I would like to see the states write minimum regulations.
  1. Every TNC driver is fingerprinted for FBI background check.
  2. Every TNC driver must carry the minimum amount of commercial liability insurance per state law.
Any other min requirements by state?

JM2cW

·
Registered
385 Posts
All vehicles that pick up random passengers on the streets should have a similar, readily identifiable trade dress. In other words, a vehicle with a top light and more decals than a Nascar.

I am only half joking. I have a feeling that more and more drunks are going to be hopping into vehicles that could turn into rape, robbery, and assault simply because they just wanted to get somewhere and they were too inebriated to match the driver and vehicle descriptions.

·
24,199 Posts
This is the major complaint that the cab drivers have against the TNCs. Everyone should have the same rules and regulations. You do not overregulate one merchant and almost not regulate another. Either everyone is overregulated, everyone is not regulated or everyone is somewhere in-between.

If you are going to keep up regulations, do this:

1. All drivers must have a licence. All drivers must go through the same overly and unduly burdensome process of going to six City agencies for documents, standing on line not only to receive those documents but also to pay the fees. All drivers must pay the excessive expenses involved in securing or renewing licences.

2. All drivers are subject to harassment from police and appropriate government agency inspectors.

3. All vehicles are subject to an inspection where they fail at least three times even though there is nothing mechanically wrong with the vehicle. Minor cosmetic items will be stressed in these inspections.

4. There will be a ridiculouly high fee for licence plates and special vehicle licences.

5. All drivers will report to a government office for licencing where they will be made to wait inordinate amounts of time while clerks work as slowly as possible. These same clerks will treat these drivers more rudely than usual.

6. The slightest misstep will result in revocation, suspension or denial of licences.

7. All drivers will be subjected to a government adjudication process for violations or complaints. In these processes, the driver will be presumed guilty even when proved innocent.

8. Vehicle must have a special paint job that is prohibitively expensive.

9. Drivers will understand that the thug who intends to rob, hurt or kill you has more rights than you do.

10. Drivers must meet all demands for service. Those working from an application must accept ALL requests for service. Taxicab drivers must pick up all street hails.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I would like the TX legislator to do something to set up minimum standards for cities state wide.

Houston already licenses TNC drivers if they are doing PU's w/n city limits or at the airports. The permit is put on the passenger side of the windshield & is scored 2 times vertically & 2 times horizontally so the sticker cannot be moved to another car. We also review e a badge to be worn while working.

I educate customers at Starbucks that if you call an Uber in the Houston area, & the car that replies does not have the sticker in the windshield on the passenger's side, that driver has not been through the Houston regulations that include an FBI check. Cancel & let Uber know the driver did not have a TNC license.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would like the TX legislator to do something to set up minimum standards for cities state wide.

Houston already licenses TNC drivers if they are doing PU's w/n city limits or at the airports. The permit is put on the passenger side of the windshield & is scored 2 times vertically & 2 times horizontally so the sticker cannot be moved to another car. We also review e a badge to be worn while working.

I educate customers at Starbucks that if you call an Uber in the Houston area, & the car that replies does not have the sticker in the windshield on the passenger's side, that driver has not been through the Houston regulations that include an FBI check. Cancel & let Uber know the driver did not have a TNC license.
This is great for hyped up passengers on caffeine. Drunks, however, are going to hop in any vehicle that seems even remotely legit. I have witnessed this on numerous occasions, and the criminal element out there will, if they haven't already, catch on to this.

I know that the rider bears responsibility here. It is just not practical. Many of the drunks don't know a left turn from a right nor can they even tell you where they live. To expect them to match faces and license plates or photos to ensure they got a legit driver is totally unrealistic. They simply can't or don't care to do it.

Scenario: hot looking but totally wasted woman orders an Uber and waits on a street corner.

Guy just randomly driving down the street (who perhaps has never even heard of Uber) looks at her. No trade dress on the vehicle. Or someone with criminal intent just tosses a phony placard inside the windshield.

"Are you my Uber driver?"

"Yeah! Hop on in!"

As one might imagine, bad things can happen. At least a cab is clearly identifiable as a cab. Having Uber X drivers plaster their car with decals and a top light would destroy their business model in a heartbeat.

Maybe I am delusional about this, but I still think that the public safety aspects of this will need to be addressed soon.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I know Houston news has addressed it. Then not all people watch the news, especially most college-people if I use my children as an example.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
This is the major complaint that the cab drivers have against the TNCs. Everyone should have the same rules and regulations. You do not overregulate one merchant and almost not regulate another. Either everyone is overregulated, everyone is not regulated or everyone is somewhere in-between.

If you are going to keep up regulations, do this:

1. All drivers must have a licence. All drivers must go through the same overly and unduly burdensome process of going to six City agencies for documents, standing on line not only to receive those documents but also to pay the fees. All drivers must pay the excessive expenses involved in securing or renewing licences.

2. All drivers are subject to harassment from police and appropriate government agency inspectors.

3. All vehicles are subject to an inspection where they fail at least three times even though there is nothing mechanically wrong with the vehicle. Minor cosmetic items will be stressed in these inspections.

4. There will be a ridiculouly high fee for licence plates and special vehicle licences.

5. All drivers will report to a government office for licencing where they will be made to wait inordinate amounts of time while clerks work as slowly as possible. These same clerks will treat these drivers more rudely than usual.

6. The slightest misstep will result in revocation, suspension or denial of licences.

7. All drivers will be subjected to a government adjudication process for violations or complaints. In these processes, the driver will be presumed guilty even when proved innocent.

8. Vehicle must have a special paint job that is prohibitively expensive.

9. Drivers will understand that the thug who intends to rob, hurt or kill you has more rights than you do.

10. Drivers must meet all demands for service. Those working from an application must accept ALL requests for service. Taxicab drivers must pick up all street hails.
I hate number one.

I like driving without a license.

·
Registered
563 Posts
since Day 1, a critical issue that Uber has been getting away with is the classification of its rides as "pre-arranged" when in fact all rides are ON DEMAND .. there is nothing pre-arranged about an Uber or Lyft ride, it is all e-hail on demand and this lawsuit addresses it.. stupid ass taxi company only took two years to file this??

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know Houston news has addressed it. Then not all people watch the news, especially most college-people if I use my children as an example.
See, I don't think that it is solely a matter of understanding the concept of not accepting a ride with a stranger or a less than legit driver. It is that with enough alcohol, all that goes out the window. That is why there are so many drunk drivers out there. I just don't think a wasted drunk is going to bother to examine stickers on a winshield. Highly intoxicated people have a strong predisposition to throw caution to the wind.

I don't know that there is any answer to this. I just suspect that a taxi is far more identifiable than a TNC vehicle. We shall see if this issue hits the fan. It might not.

·
Super Moderator
15,232 Posts
See, I don't that it is solely a matter of understanding the concept of not accepting a ride with a stranger or a less than legit driver. It is that with enough alcohol, all that goes out the window. That is why there are so many drunk drivers out there. I just don't think a wasted drunk is going to bother to examine stickers on a winshield. Highly intoxicated people have a strong predisposition to throw caution to the wind.

I don't know that there is any answer to this. I just suspect that a taxi is far more identifiable than a TNC vehicle. We shall see if this issue hits the fan. It might not.
I think it will happen more and more, I can see this happening in Mexico and other countries for "express kidnappings".

Eleven pm, Hoodlum drives up outside a club, sees guy checking his phone, Hoodlum pulls up to him in shiny freshly washed car with fake uber sticker he printed on home copier.

Pax hops in car, Hoodlum locks doors after pax gets in to car. Starts driving turns around corner where Accomplice is waiting, Hoodlum opens lock and Accomplice hops in next to Pax. Accomplice pulls gun on Pax.

Pax is now SOL.

He is told to empty out pockets of everything, money, jewelry, wallet etc. They now have his home address, keys to his house, his phone with wife and kids numbers.

He is driven to an ATM where he is told to take out cash maximums on all his cards.

Hoodlum and Accomplice drive Pax around till after midnight, it is now another day. So, Pax again takes out cash maximums from all cards.

Pax is left on side of road in a commercial area.

Pax never sleeps well again because he doesn't know if or when the Hoodlum and Accomplice will come visit him at home.

Can't happen?

Yes it can, happens too often.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think it will happen more and more, I can see this happening in Mexico and other countries for "express kidnappings".

Eleven pm, Hoodlum drives up outside a club, sees guy checking his phone, Hoodlum pulls up to him in shiny freshly washed car with fake uber sticker he printed on home copier.

Pax hops in car, Hoodlum locks doors after pax gets in to car. Starts driving turns around corner where Accomplice is waiting, Hoodlum opens lock and Accomplice hops in next to Pax. Accomplice pulls gun on Pax.

Pax is now SOL.

He is told to empty out pockets of everything, money, jewelry, wallet etc. They now have his home address, keys to his house, his phone with wife and kids numbers.

He is driven to an ATM where he is told to take out cash maximums on all his cards.

Hoodlum and Accomplice drive Pax around till after midnight, it is now another day. So, Pax again takes out cash maximums from all cards.

Pax is left on side of road in a commercial area.

Pax never sleeps well again because he doesn't know if or when the Hoodlum and Accomplice will come visit him at home.

Can't happen?

Yes it can, happens too often.
Damn, that was graphic enough to turn into a film script. I never considered Mexico because much, if not all, of that could happen in any city in the USA.

·
Super Moderator
15,232 Posts
Damn, that was graphic enough to turn into a film script. I never considered Mexico because much, if not all, of that could happen in any city in the USA.
It actually happens pretty often in Mexico.

It happened to a friend of mine, except he was just picked up on a street corner by some random car with two people in it.

This happened a few years ago and what I wrote above is what I remember him telling me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It actually happens pretty often in Mexico.

It happened to a friend of mine, except he was just picked up on a street corner by some random car with two people in it.

This happened a few years ago and what I wrote above is what I remember him telling me.
I thought Uber was outlawed in Mexico. Why did your friend enter the car and what makes you think this is frequent?

Not trying to put you on trial. Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
15,232 Posts
I thought Uber was outlawed in Mexico. Why did your friend enter the car and what makes you think this is frequent?

Not trying to put you on trial. Just curious.
Uber is in process of being regulated but my friend wasn't picked up by an Uber. This happened before Uber, bout 10 yrs ago.

He was just standing at a corner waiting to cross the street when a couple guys in a random car pulled up and made him get in.

·
Super Moderator
15,232 Posts
Stuff like this happens, there's all kinds of crazy stuff going on.

Just today, I got a phone call from my "cousin". Rings me up on my work phone, says "Hey primo, how are you? I tell himm pretty good, who is this? He says, its your cousin, i say who? He says your cousin the one that lives outside Long Beach. I say I don't have any cousins. (I do)
Then he hangs up on me.

No one knows my work number, I have never given it to anyone, it just connects me to the manager.

How did the guy know I was in Long Beach?

There are gangs in mexican prisons that cold call numbers and try and get personal info to later use in extortions.

But HOW DID HE KNOW I WAS IN LONG BEACH??

*One thing I forgot to mention is my phone is registered and has an area code from a different county.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Uber is in process of being regulated but my friend wasn't picked up by an Uber. This happened before Uber, bout 10 yrs ago.

He was just standing at a corner waiting to cross the street when a couple guys in a random car pulled up and made him get in.
Interesting. So a phony Uber driver would have the advantage of having the crime victim voluntarily enter the vehicle.

If several of these type of incidents, especially if they occurred in one particular local or city, could possibly result in a lot of publicity.

Sometimes I think Uber is a huge bubble built on a house of cards and investor greed. It wouldn't take a lot for the bubble to burst. Too many holes in their business plan.

·
Super Moderator
15,232 Posts
Interesting. So a phony Uber driver would have the advantage of having the crime victim voluntarily enter the vehicle.

If several of these type of incidents, especially if they occurred in one particular local or city, could possibly result in a lot of publicity.

Sometimes I think Uber is a huge bubble built on a house of cards and investor greed. It wouldn't take a lot for the bubble to burst. Too many holes in their business plan.
Yupp, I thought something would happen in Mexico before now, but nothing has popped up in the news that I have seen.

Other than the five Uber drivers *who were kidnapped* and whose cars were stolen in Guadalajara.

*There were also six cars that were completely trashed in Mexico City.*

*edited*

1 - 20 of 27 Posts