Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jufkii 
#1 ·
There is another problem with Uber's policy's that is abusive to the drivers in Florida the law reads NO OPEN CONTAINERS simply put Florida does not allow any alcoholic beverages in a car wether the driver or passenger has it and when the driver tells a passenger they can't have it in the car that's an immediate low rating for the driver these passengers don't care if they jeopardize your drivers license or your freedom they want there drink and Uber is condoning this kind of behavior by holding the rating against the driver it doesn't matter if the driver puts in a statement to Uber that this happened and that's what lead to the low rating Uber still holds the rating against the driver. This is abuse plain and simple when Uber holds it against the driver for not breaking the law and listens to what a drunk rates you at because you won't break the law and jepardize your license and freedom this is wrong. Uber is flat out condoning breaking the law and penalizing any driver that won't do it. The drivers that allow it are equally to blame and I'm sorry but those that do allow it are just not very smart and when something goes wrong they'll be the first to cry and call fowl for all the good it will do them while there sitting in jail and facing loss of there license,jail time, loss of there insurance and huge fines and expense to get there license back. These drivers are not using there heads at all and making harder for the drivers that won't break the law. While I'm at it lets touch on the drivers that are over loading there cars packing 5and 6 people in a car only equipped for 4 passengers there not getting paid for the extra passengers there taking money out of the pockets of the ones that have proper cars for that many people and there risking serious penalties if they have an accident up to and including manslouter charges if there is a death involved just how smart is that.

See less See more
#2 ·
Part of open container law (Florida)

"An open container shall be considered to be in the possession of the operator of a vehicle if the container is not in the possession of a passenger and is not located in a locked glove compartment, locked trunk, or other locked nonpassenger area of the vehicle."
(4) An open container shall be considered to be in the possession of a passenger of a vehicle if the container is in the physical control of the passenger.

Just wrote about this topic (Open container) on another board because I too was very interested in staying out of trouble and avoiding a fine. As the law reads it would seem the person in possession of the open container would be the one in violation, not the driver simply by default (assuming pax claim the container was theirs and they are in possession of it). I'm still not allowing open containers by pax, but at least the law seems to be written as to not automatically assign fault to the driver. Also, if the pax left an open container in your vehicle leaving you as the sole occupant of your vehicle, then yes you would now be in violation of the law. Again, I'm not siding on letting pax have open containers (I don't), but at least you have a chance of clearing yourself if someone sneaks an open container in your vehicle, or you allow it. It's still a sticky situation to be in if your pax aren't honest or the officer can't distinguish who is in physical control of the container. My dash cam would hopefully have me 100% covered on this. Just passing on what I think is important factual information and maybe some info that might be able to help you out if needed, knowing the specifics of the law is always a good thing right? Stay safe out there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.