Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a huge football fan and am psyched that the Rams are back in town. Unfortunately my finances dictate that I need to work that day instead of scalping tickets. Does anyone have any advice for where to post up outside the game? I know I had success sitting on Sunset for Dodger games and concerts but never worked Memorial Stadium before. Once again just trying to work smart and maximize my money so I would love to hear from some of you veterans.

·
Banned
3,872 Posts
first off, it's the memorial coliseum not stadium. :) i'm not a veteran by any means, but i've done the coliseum a few times and have had luck picking pax up near the arco gas station as long as the cops aren't kicking drivers out of that area... there's no one particular spot that's perfect for pick ups. there will be a lot of trip requests, but the issue is fighting the road closures to get to your pax, so another good strategy sometimes is to park or stop if you can and have the pax walk to you if they're close. this is often faster than navigating the traffic and road closures.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
first off, it's the memorial coliseum not stadium. :) i'm not a veteran by any means, but i've done the coliseum a few times and have had luck picking pax up near the arco gas station as long as the cops aren't kicking drivers out of that area... there's no one particular spot that's perfect for pick ups. there will be a lot of trip requests, but the issue is fighting the road closures to get to your pax, so another good strategy sometimes is to park or stop if you can and have the pax walk to you if they're close. this is often faster than navigating the traffic and road closures.
This is correct. You'll also be fighting cell phone tower congestion. If your app is having trouble updating surge, don't close it. You might have to drive far away to open it again.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Like all big cluster events, call the pax and have them walk to you. If they don't want to then just cancel and get the next one.

I try to bank my cancels for this and make the pax cancel if possible.

I used uber as a pax there for a USC game once before I was a driver and I was smart enough to walk out. I walked across the street to the west/south west and requested a ride. Got one quickly it was no problem.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I am a huge football fan and am psyched that the Rams are back in town. Unfortunately my finances dictate that I need to work that day instead of scalping tickets. Does anyone have any advice for where to post up outside the game? I know I had success sitting on Sunset for Dodger games and concerts but never worked Memorial Stadium before. Once again just trying to work smart and maximize my money so I would love to hear from some of you veterans.
Sleep... sleep.... more sleep

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Park on the side streets between Exposition and King, Vermont/Normandie facing west for quick getaway. Waiting for surge is tough when you can't log in. Be prepared to get cash offers so be very careful if you go this route.
Thank you. That's what I was looking for. I am a longtime Browns/Dolphins and Cavs/Heat fan, so I know a thing or two about losing teams. But eventually... it works out. The key is good fans. Let's hope they are good Uber pax too!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Like all big cluster fudge events, call the pax and have them walk to you. If they don't want to then just cancel and get the next one.

I try to bank my cancels for this and make the pax cancel if possible.

I used uber as a pax there for a USC game once before I was a driver and I was smart enough to walk out. I walked across the street to the west/south west and requested a ride. Got one quickly it was no problem.
brilliant..moving away from the mass hysteria

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've found that a good stadium strategy is to divide it in half. If you get a Ping from your half, accept and have the passenger walk to you. Do not fight the very slow up hill battle of trying to reach them. They are more mobile than you are in creeping/non-moving traffic.

If you get a Ping from the opposite half, don't bother. Just let it go. You will most likely spend up to 1/2 hour just trying to reach them. It's not worth it.

Examples;

Two years ago at the USC/ASU game, I got a Ping from the Figueroa side. I was on the Vermont side. I made phone contact and told them to stay put after they told me they couldn't walk to me. I fought very slow traffic to get to them. First, I pushed down Vermont. Then went left on MLK. Finally turned north on Figueroa and found them. It took me 30 minutes.

My passengers where two older male fans who went to MDR for a whopping $16 fare. This was not worth my one hour of time and effort. Not even close.

At the Rose Bowl for the Beyoncé concert, I got a Ping from the opposite side of the stadium. I made phone contact and asked the Passenger not to cancel because I was on my way and it was going to take at least 30 minutes. I fought traffic for 45 minutes to get to the UBER lot on the golf course and the passenger CANCELLED on me because it took so long. Once I was in the UBER lot, there was NO cell phone reception and I was unable to contact another Ping that was in the area. I gave up and left with no ride after over an hour of effort. It was a complete waste of time.

·
Banned
9,012 Posts
you from seattle? seahawks fan? or just trolling the "hometown" rams? lol!
Lol!! Pete Carroll fan. Coliseum is his home turf. Talented coach, look what he did for USC. Look what he's done for Seattle.

Based on past experience.

Just like the lakers aren't shit without Phil Jackson.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts