Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm driving my first NC State (or any other) football game today. I had a student last night tell me that the doors for tailgating open @ 1 and the game is at 6. How is the pre game action? Any tailgaters use ride sharing? Is it worth my time or should I just stay home and work in my August-neglected yard? LOL

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
So I am not in NC, but with stadium events in general, people come from all around the area and trickle into the stadium. Sure, there should be a increase in demand, but it would be spread out over a whole area, that you will not see a surge and will probably end up doing regular priced rides.

The trick is, to go at the end of the game. The surge may take a few min to kick in as people are stuck in the stadium and do not have a cell phone signal, but as soon as their phones come back online, you should start to see a surge, which makes dealing with all the traffic worth it.

You will also probably be able to see where they are headed after the game. Some will go home, others to bars, but you know at least they will need a ride back home later from the bar, so this could be your hot spot after the game.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
So I am not in NC, but with stadium events in general, people come from all around the area and trickle into the stadium. Sure, there should be a increase in demand, but it would be spread out over a whole area, that you will not see a surge and will probably end up doing regular priced rides.

The trick is, to go at the end of the game. The surge may take a few min to kick in as people are stuck in the stadium and do not have a cell phone signal, but as soon as their phones come back online, you should start to see a surge, which makes dealing with all the traffic worth it.

You will also probably be able to see where they are headed after the game. Some will go home, others to bars, but you know at least they will need a ride back home later from the bar, so this could be your hot spot after the game.
I would respectfully disagree, I always prefer working before games or concerts rather than after. This way I get paid for the traffic time and don't have to hassle trying to swim upstream to get them, particularly when they are in an area closed off to you and cops yelling at you to move. Also, hard to get a second or third fare after an event.

There are only 6 games this year and this first one was great. There was some surge between 1 and 3PM for the game, grossed almost $100 between 12:30 and 3:30

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I would respectfully disagree, I always prefer working before games or concerts rather than after. This way I get paid for the traffic time and don't have to hassle trying to swim upstream to get them, particularly when they are in an area closed off to you and cops yelling at you to move. Also, hard to get a second or third fare after an event.

There are only 6 games this year and this first one was great. There was some surge between 1 and 3PM for the game, grossed almost $100 between 12:30 and 3:30
Its good to disagree. Every city is different. As stated before, I am not in North Carolina, but just speaking from my experience.

Houston is really spread out and its unlikely to see surge before a game. After the game, that is a different story. But yes, the cops and barricades and all that do not help at all. NRG does have a "Uber" lot that helps out a little bit and the police have no choice but to let us through.

Of course, half the time you pick up riders from around the park because it is so gigantic, no one wants to walk to that one little spot, and you do not want to lose that surge fare.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Its good to disagree. Every city is different. As stated before, I am not in North Carolina, but just speaking from my experience.

Houston is really spread out and its unlikely to see surge before a game. After the game, that is a different story. But yes, the cops and barricades and all that do not help at all. NRG does have a "Uber" lot that helps out a little bit and the police have no choice but to let us through.

Of course, half the time you pick up riders from around the park because it is so gigantic, no one wants to walk to that one little spot, and you do not want to lose that surge fare.
I hear you and one of the differences is that college ball is not like NFL. Students get a lot of tickets and all live in just a few areas so it's easy to know where the game day traffic is going to be. Also, since a lot of drivers worked till 3 the night before if it's a 12 or 3:00 game you won't have as much competition.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I hear you and one of the differences is that college ball is not like NFL. Students get a lot of tickets and all live in just a few areas so it's easy to know where the game day traffic is going to be. Also, since a lot of drivers worked till 3 the night before if it's a 12 or 3:00 game you won't have as much competition.
That is the biggest difference (having college kids that will travel). When we have college football games at NRG like this past weekend, it does turn out to be a good day for Uber. Usually after the game is better, since those games usually turn out to be 2 teams, not located in Houston, so there are people that live/stay in hotels all around the city.

The only football program that is wroth a mention here for comparison is the University of Houston Cougars. However, their stadium is on campus, so students attending, can just walk or take the school transportation. If they are going to Uber, it will be a $5 ride.

On a side note, have you done any rides from Raleigh airport to Camp Lejune?

I remember having to pay for a taxi one day, even splitting the cost with a friend was not fun.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
That is the biggest difference (having college kids that will travel). When we have college football games at NRG like this past weekend, it does turn out to be a good day for Uber. Usually after the game is better, since those games usually turn out to be 2 teams, not located in Houston, so there are people that live/stay in hotels all around the city.

The only football program that is wroth a mention here for comparison is the University of Houston Cougars. However, their stadium is on campus, so students attending, can just walk or take the school transportation. If they are going to Uber, it will be a $5 ride.

On a side note, have you done any rides from Raleigh airport to Camp Lejune?

I remember having to pay for a taxi one day, even splitting the cost with a friend was not fun.
I typically drive select so it's unlikely I would get a call that far. With that said, you would be crazy to take it. We get .85 a mile for X and you're going home empty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Rolling Stones concert showed that having a plan can be worse than no plan.

I had several rides right after the game started. They wanted to tailgate but no tickets. Through halftime there were no traffic issues.

After the game.... not sure I want to try again. I had someone that walked to the Ramada Inn. I had to come off Wade and played dumb with cops. "How do I get to my hotel?" When I got there my pax was a no show. There was a group with a driver that had no clue where the Ramada was. They cancelled out of frustration. I picked them up since I was on the property.

If NC State is going to run ads about no drink driving they need to find a way for Uber (and other alternatives ) to get in.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Yes, it was much like the Stones concert. The official Uber PU area is on Stroud, between the stadium and the arena. I got one call there but guess what, police were not letting anyone turn onto Trinity so you couldn't get there. Had to go past, turn into the gas station and drive through the gas station to get there. Easier to just drop off and pick up on the street.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This past Sat, I pretty much avoided game pickups. I did accept on ping because it was still daylight and traffic was not yet heavy. In the daylight, it is so much easier to find your pax (when I text & ask them for a landmark, they are all 'I'm right on Trinity & I'm wearing red' - yeah, you and everyone else dumbass) and this one was smart enough to stand by the fairgrounds gate 9 so I could easily find her. Turned out she was going a decent ways away as well. Once it was dark, and traffic increased, I didn't accept any pings from trinity because I can't find the pax & what with the traffic, I can't make any money doing pickups there. Perhaps if it was surging - but there were so many drivers out Sat, I didn't see any surges in Raleigh all night (stopped driving at midnight). I noticed Durham surges more consistently than Raleigh. I may do more time over that direction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts