Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not going well. Lack of drivers means 20 minutes to go get riders (which I won't do) but I will go 10-12 mins just to get acceptance rate up. Accepted 5 rides yesterday, four cancelled. I should be deactivated within the week. :)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
That bites. I have been on Lyft 2 months in Philly and love it. I could not clear $350 weekly on Uber with the same amount of time.

If you're in a good area your weekly can look like this. I didn't actually work 30 hours, really around 26. In my neighborhood, which is suburban, I don't get a lot of pings so if I'm close to hitting the bonus I just stay online Sundays. I had two short runs that mildly disturbed my Sunday afternoon:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well I happen to live in Mt. Airy, which is in the Philly city limits but suburban. Close to me is Manayunk, which is full of bros and bars along the river. What invariably happens is I will get a pickup that takes me downtown and then I work there.

If your area is spread out...and you have to take those > 10 minute requests, well...I might look for another job. I can skip a few because I know I can keep it above 90%. Ideally if your area is spread out you should be getting longer rides that compensate and thus higher tips...But you have to do the math to see if it's worth it after a few weeks. Make sure to hit the guarantee hours.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Sigh. I guess people in Philly are more generous than in NJ. I very rarely hit 10% or more on tips for the week. How about you?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Varies a lot...As you can see my tip percentage of my fares was about 10% last week. I'd say it's around 40-50% actually tipping though - just the tips are low. Now I know to avoid pickups in the student areas (Temple, West Philly). A lot are suddenly on Lyft but they don't have money and don't tip. Sometimes if I chat them up hard it helps. But picking up groups who are talking to each other instead of you always means you're just the UberNon-EnglishSpeaking servant and you won't get a tip.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I feel like being in Philadelphia, it'd be very difficult to avoid student pickups. Even in my area (New Brunswick, NJ), there are a lot of the non-tipping demographic (Rutgers students, recent immigrants). Do you cherry pick and cancel certain requests based on location and/or profile pictures? The only reason I try to accept most rides within a reasonable distance is because of the end-of-week bonus. Maybe this week, I'll be a more selective and calculate if I make more per driving hour. Will report those results in a couple weeks!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
No, I don't...at least not yet. It's definitely more worth it to ignore requests more than 10 mins away downtown where you know it's probably going to be a short trip and save your rating for those. Or I call and ask them nicely to cancel, people usually want to be picked up within 10 mins anyway, and I feed them a line about another car coming into the area.

Often downtown people cancel if you're 10 mins away instantly. Last Saturday I had one of those, I was way down 95, I got a ping from Old City. I was < 10 mins away as I was already on the expressway, but they canceled anyway.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm so scared to put on the app now if there aren't other drivers around me in fear I'll get a request far away. Most of the people cancel on me when I accept cause I think they see how far away I am. I probably have a 60% acceptance rate at this point. I'll work it more on weekend nights I think.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's not going well. Lack of drivers means 20 minutes to go get riders (which I won't do) but I will go 10-12 mins just to get acceptance rate up. Accepted 5 rides yesterday, four cancelled. I should be deactivated within the week. :)
I don't have any firsthand experience with Lyft or know if they treat their drivers any better than Uber, but I do know they are less known than Uber resulting in a lot smaller rider pool. They are making headway in some markets and picking up a lot of the disgruntled Uber paxs. Just stay low and do the minimum and hang around and see what develops. There is big changes coming in the TNC market within the next 6 months.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Lyft has the same issue in Tampa/St. Pete. My limit is 15mins away. Bout to drop that to 12.

Glad to hear Mt. Airy is active. Might try a few hours when I come home for the holidays.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lyft has the same issue in Tampa/St. Pete. My limit is 15mins away. Bout to drop that to 12.

Glad to hear Mt. Airy is active. Might try a few hours when I come home for the holidays.
How is lyft now did it get better new to lyft in st pete any pointers where to hang to get calls is it safe to pick up in the airport thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't have any firsthand experience with Lyft or know if they treat their drivers any better than Uber, but I do know they are less known than Uber resulting in a lot smaller rider pool. They are making headway in some markets and picking up a lot of the disgruntled Uber paxs. Just stay low and do the minimum and hang around and see what develops. There is big changes coming in the TNC market within the next 6 months.
What is "TNC"? Yes, I'm a new applicant.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Thursday, November 19, 2015

Greetings Lyft Drivers,

The forum suggested that I use a suitable existing thread rather than start a new one. So here goes..

Yesterday was my first day as a Lyft driver. I started with Lyft to earn some extra money, part-time. Have been "on the clock" in Driver mode for about 4 hours between the two days. Received/Accepted 1 ride request..which was yesterday. Missed One yesterday. (That's a fast countdown clock!) And had one Cancel today. I live/work in the Schaumburg, Illinois area... a Chicago suburb. Lots of people.

Couple of questions...

1. Since I can only be in Driver Mode for 2 to 3 hours a day, should I also contract with UBER to get the most out of each hour? Lyft isn't generating even a part time income, LOL. Which brings me to the next question...

2. On the front window of the Android Lyft App yesterday, it said that I earned $7.63 from this one ride. My earnings report today said that I made $6.35. The Lyft website estimator says that this ride cost the guy $11.00. After dropping off a rider, what does that $$$ amount on the face of the Lyft app mean? Are there some kind of taxes or fees deducted from that amount to arrive at the actual net pay per ride? Also, it looks like Lyft isn't paying anywhere near 80% commission.

Thank-goodness for this forum and thanks in advance for any helpful responses. I'm finding that the Lyft Driver Support website isn't detailed enough, and there's no phone support.

-Allen

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Hi Allen, and welcome! Here are some answers for you:

1. You may want to consider signing up for Uber as well, Uber typically does have more action in terms of rides/hour. Many drivers run both apps simultaneously and accept the first ride that is sent on either.

2. The website estimator is exactly what it says - an estimate. That estimate may not have used the same route that you drove or may have included additional waiting time due to traffic. The app shows the amount of the actual fare (it's actually a running total, so your 2nd fare that day will be added to the total); in this case, the rider was charged $7.63 + 1.85 (Trust/Safety/City Fees). The fare was $7.63, and your 80% cut of this fare was $6.35 (which is actually a little more than 80% on my calculator).

Note that I am not sure if the website estimator tool factors in the trust and safety fees - although I would guess that it does. So the passenger would have been charged $9.48 before tip.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi Allen, and welcome.

It is very common to run both apps at the same time. Just accept the ping, and turn off the other one because you don't want an Uber ping with a Lyft pax in the car, they never want to go to the same place.
$7.63 is the fare. Add the trust and safety fee to that ($1.55) and that's what the pax pays. The estimator estimates, it's not accurate. You get the fare minus 20% commission to Lyft. 763*0.8=610.4
Lyft does not pay 80% commission, you pay Lyft a 20% commission. Subtle but important tax difference.

You want to make part time money, stop wasting your time watching the app do nothing for hours and hours during weekdays. Forget weekdays.
Leave it off all day tomorrow. Take a nap after dinner. Turn it on at 10pm Friday, not a minute before. You'll take lots of young people to bars. Nothing makes me feel older than having to take a nap to be awake enough to drive young people who are just STARTING their night at 10pm.
Go home for a couple hours, watch TV, answer a ping or two if it happens.
At midnight or 1am, head back to the bars and take them home safely. Thank them for not driving. Be respectful to drunks and they'll respect you, mostly. Be an authority to those that challenge you, but don't push them into a confrontation - you will lose time and money arguing with drunks and having to sort it all out with cops. Not worth it. Go home when the bars are closed.

Then I take another nap until 8am. Time for the walk of shame deliveries. Don't call and ask "What color house is it?" they won't know. Sprinkled in with the walk of shame girls are the guys that left their car somewhere. They are un-showered and bad breathed, but grateful you're awake. They often offer to buy me breakfast. I tell them to tip me breakfast, I'll get it later.

Both the walk of shame and the 'take me to my car' crowd appreciate mints. I buy the big bag at Costco of individually wrapped Wintergreen Lifesavers. Less than a penny each and I like them anyway, so they're good to have in the car.

If you need some sleep, get it now. You're going to do the same thing Saturday night/Sunday morning except you'll be starting a little earlier to catch the going to dinner and drinks crowd.

You have to be where they need you. No one needs you Tuesday afternoon, so just use weekdays to get your hours up. I'm full time and Mon-Thurs weekdays are worth 40% of one weekend, so just work the weekends. The pings will be there if you're in the right place at the right times. You don't see taxi cabs in driveways of private homes - you see them at the airport, you see them outside hotels, you see them at the bar scene late at night.

Don't sit at home waiting for a ping.... you have to be where they are. Pings are by proximity.

What is "TNC"? Yes, I'm a new applicant.
TNC is transportation network company. Uber and Lyft and a few others are TNC's.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Hi Allen, and welcome! Here are some answers for you:

1. You may want to consider signing up for Uber as well, Uber typically does have more action in terms of rides/hour. Many drivers run both apps simultaneously and accept the first ride that is sent on either.

2. The website estimator is exactly what it says - an estimate. That estimate may not have used the same route that you drove or may have included additional waiting time due to traffic. The app shows the amount of the actual fare (it's actually a running total, so your 2nd fare that day will be added to the total); in this case, the rider was charged $7.63 + 1.85 (Trust/Safety/City Fees). The fare was $7.63, and your 80% cut of this fare was $6.35 (which is actually a little more than 80% on my calculator).

Note that I am not sure if the website estimator tool factors in the trust and safety fees - although I would guess that it does. So the passenger would have been charged $9.48 before tip.
,Andass, thank-you very much for taking the time to answer each of my questions. Even though I choose Lyft over Uber, due to reading so many negatives about the overall Uber experience, I'll start the Uber application process tomorrow and hope for the best. Since I'll only have the applications in "driver mode" for approx. 3 hours each day, I should be able to complete 2 to 3 rides daily. Sounds good for picking up some extra money for Christmas. This Lyft-Only method hasn't netted me enough for wrapping paper.

Also, thank-you for doing what the Lyft Driver Support website failed to do, by breaking down for me how the revenues, fees, and income reporting functions work, and how these items relate to each other. Have a great remainder of the week, Andass.

Appreciatively,
-Allen in Chicagoland

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Hi Allen, and welcome.

It is very common to run both apps at the same time. Just accept the ping, and turn off the other one because you don't want an Uber ping with a Lyft pax in the car, they never want to go to the same place.
$7.63 is the fare. Add the trust and safety fee to that ($1.55) and that's what the pax pays. The estimator estimates, it's not accurate. You get the fare minus 20% commission to Lyft. 763*0.8=610.4
Lyft does not pay 80% commission, you pay Lyft a 20% commission. Subtle but important tax difference.

You want to make part time money, stop wasting your time watching the app do nothing for hours and hours during weekdays. Forget weekdays.
Leave it off all day tomorrow. Take a nap after dinner. Turn it on at 10pm Friday, not a minute before. You'll take lots of young people to bars. Nothing makes me feel older than having to take a nap to be awake enough to drive young people who are just STARTING their night at 10pm.
Go home for a couple hours, watch TV, answer a ping or two if it happens.
At midnight or 1am, head back to the bars and take them home safely. Thank them for not driving. Be respectful to drunks and they'll respect you, mostly. Be an authority to those that challenge you, but don't push them into a confrontation - you will lose time and money arguing with drunks and having to sort it all out with cops. Not worth it. Go home when the bars are closed.

Then I take another nap until 8am. Time for the walk of shame deliveries. Don't call and ask "What color house is it?" they won't know. Sprinkled in with the walk of shame girls are the guys that left their car somewhere. They are un-showered and bad breathed, but grateful you're awake. They often offer to buy me breakfast. I tell them to tip me breakfast, I'll get it later.

Both the walk of shame and the 'take me to my car' crowd appreciate mints. I buy the big bag at Costco of individually wrapped Wintergreen Lifesavers. Less than a penny each and I like them anyway, so they're good to have in the car.

If you need some sleep, get it now. You're going to do the same thing Saturday night/Sunday morning except you'll be starting a little earlier to catch the going to dinner and drinks crowd.

You have to be where they need you. No one needs you Tuesday afternoon, so just use weekdays to get your hours up. I'm full time and Mon-Thurs weekdays are worth 40% of one weekend, so just work the weekends. The pings will be there if you're in the right place at the right times. You don't see taxi cabs in driveways of private homes - you see them at the airport, you see them outside hotels, you see them at the bar scene late at night.

Don't sit at home waiting for a ping.... you have to be where they are. Pings are by proximity.
Hey DieselkW....thanks for confirming what Andaas said regarding the compensation, combining Lyft/Uber... and for sharing your successful strategy for generating maximum revenue in the shortest time-frame. The little courtesy items are a good idea too. I watched a YouTube video where a Mentor said to keep suckers and water in the car. I have the water, but not the suckers yet. The mints are a good idea for the adults. Will add that to my list.

I was wondering about the proximity thing. Was a little disappointed when my first/only ride involved a 15 mile round trip.. took an hour.. yet netted me only $6.35.. This is yet another issue that's not addressed on the Lyft driver support site. I guess the best way to keep this from happening again is to pay closer attention to where the rider is located...and to do so very quickly, before the count-down timer reaches zero.

Rather than ask more questions, I'll read more posts from experienced drivers like yourself. In addition to following some of your advice, I'll learn what the Peak/Off-Peak, Guarantee Weeks, etc.. are in this area. Don't want to work full-time, but don't want to leave money on the table either. Thanks again!
-Allen

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Yeah, another (mostly) Lyft-specific problem, especially when working in the suburbs, is you sometimes (fairly frequently, actually) receive trip requests that are not close to your current location. I've received requests from passengers 20 miles away.

In these situations, you can still make the decision to cancel *after* you accept the request. Typically what I will do is contact the passenger directly, I will explain that Lyft has matched me to their request and that I am 30 minutes or more away from their location. Many times they will not want to wait that long and will cancel the trip - other times, if they are still interested in a ride, I will ask how far their destination will be - if it is a short (<5 mile) hop, I will be very apologetic and will explain to them that I cannot justify driving 20 miles/30 minutes for a few dollar fare - and I will then cancel the trip*.

* If you do this, it is important that you go offline for 5-10 minutes immediately after, otherwise you risk being paired with this passenger on their re-request.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm so scared to put on the app now if there aren't other drivers around me in fear I'll get a request far away. Most of the people cancel on me when I accept cause I think they see how far away I am. I probably have a 60% acceptance rate at this point. I'll work it more on weekend nights I think.
I'm dealing with the same issue right now. Just about all my pings are 20 minutes away. I'm doing the same thing, won't go online unless someone else is online. I'll probably have a short lived lyft life myself at a %50 acceptance rate.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts