Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the eve of Memorial day I picked up a rider in Beaverdale around 2 am-ish. It was bar closing time and I knew that whoever I was picking up would be drunk but I didn't care because the majority of my riders were. The trip started out bad right off the bat because I couldn't see him. So I drove around for a bit trying to find him. Finally I texted and no response, so I called. He answered and said he was at (such an such) bar, which was a block away from the coffee shop it said he was at. Obviously extremely drunk, he moved the map when he dropped his pin. So I drive down there and pick him up but didn't notice right away that his destination was blank. He's in the front seat which doesn't bother me usually . So I ask him where he needs to go and he says "I'll just give you directions, it's in Johnston." At first I said "ok" thinking, I'm not really scared. I've been in scarier situations with bigger guys. Then he starts getting grabby and rubbing my thigh. I grabbed his hand and threw it back at him saying "you need to keep that over there!" It annoyed him but I didn't care. Then he started turning my stereo up as loud as he could and rolled down his window. At this point I paused my station and said I need to enter a destination on the app so I can make sure I get you there via the fastest route. So he spouts off some unfound address but I managed to get a closer idea of his actual destination. Now he's getting angry because his second attempt to caress me is rejected and starts saying in a smartass tone (pointing back and forth at him and I) "This, this is not happening, just so you know!" I immediatly said "You're right, I'm sure MY HUSBAND wouldn't be too happy about it!" We get to the stoplights at Merle Hay and Meredith and I'm shaking. Anyone that knows me knows I'm fighting really hard not to punch this dbag in the nads. I see a Polk County deputy with his lights on at the QuikTrip and I thought to myself, I'll just stop the ride there and if he acts crazy, atleast I have a armed deputy to help me. But stupid me, I decided to go on, thinking we're not far from his house, it was a nice surge fare and I can handle him a little longer. By the time we got to his so called home he was grabbing at my phone to "change the song", and refused to get out of my car. So I called my husband who was driving that night as well, and as soon as the dbag heard my phone ringing through the speakers in my car he said, "who are you calling?" like he was worried I was calling 911. I said "My husband, to let him know where I am!" at this point he FINALLY got out.

I really had to pee so I stopped at the QT on my way home and got a call from my brother in law who I had sent a glymps to at the beginning of the night. He said he saw me sitting in one place for a bit, got worried and wanted to make sure I was ok. THANK GOD I had done that, if something had happened to me, he was paying attention and would have called 911 with my location. Now I know that I was partially to blame for allowing the ride to continue, however I learned a very very important lesson. I will not start the ride until the rider enters a destination, and I will always follow my insticts and when I'm nervous and feel the need to spork a rider in the eye for grabbing at me. I will cautiously end the ride at a well lit gas station.

Any other female drivers have issues with male passengers sitting in the front and being "grabby" while you're driving? If so how do you handle it?
Tags:​

Multiple tags may be separated by commas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So sorry you had to go through this. NEVER feel bad about trying to keep yourself safe. I would recommend at the first sign of inappropriate behavior to do exactly what you said at the end. Stop at a well lit business with people around, get out of the card and let the pax know that the ride is over because of their behavior and that you stopped at that location because they have security cameras for protection.
Please also report this to Uber so they know to never allow that pax to request you again.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It was reported to Uber immediatly. I was just wondering how other females handle guys like this. I am probably going to start carrying my sisters tazer if I drive the drunk hours.
I agree with other posters and would only add install a 2 way dash cam to record everything. Transcend drive pro on amazon is about $200

Reactions: bobper

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I would recomend getting a good dashcam that records well in low light. Also, pepper spray might be a good idea because you can use it at a distance if needed and at different angles that a taser might not work with. I keep mine in an area that is easy for me to reach, but out of the reach of all my passengers. That way it is lesslikley to be used against me. I hope this helps; stay safe.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. I had one tonight where a guy kept hitting on me and kept wanting to change the destination after we were moving, and it was getting annoying. On the other hand, he was paying a 2.7x surge, and I told him the more he changed his mind, the more expensive it was getting (driving in circles because he insisted he knew where to go, but kept changing his mind on where that was). Before we reached the destination, he was asking me if I wanted to hang out with him in his friend (he had me drop them off in the woods, literally, on 45th behind DSM arts), suggesting a threesome of sorts. I politely said no and told him why, but man, really? I appreciate every customer. But I wonder sometimes what goes through some of these people's heads. Most of all of them are great, but the late-night crowd seems to get dicey at times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts