Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I was in a mild panic, believing TNCs were going to put me out of business.

Now, not so much.

With all of the uproar and bad PR that Uber is generating, not to mention pissing off the Mayor of Toronto, I get the feeling that this is all going to blow over.

Locally here in Broward I have a gut feeling that Uber is not coming back. They've gone so far as to tick off their staunchest supporter, Chip Lamarca, at the last meeting. Man, was he riled up. He said that while he would continue to support Uber he was just as angry with their behavior.

The amendments Uber has tried to shove down the Commission's throat are not going smoothly and they're only have done half. With all the votes 5-4 or 4-5 this ship may very well change course.

Guess what? It's been two months since Uber left Broward and the sky is still in place. People have learned to get by, like they did a year ago.

What Uber is doing to you drivers is reprehensible. A screwing the likes of which would give cab companies pause. Then again, ********* drivers should not expect pleasant treatment from anyone.

The upcoming "strike" (no...illegal independent contractors can not strike) will serve little purpose. Uber will lose exactly $0.00. Not one penny. If you don't do the rides the other 100 drivers will. Uber still gets 20%-30%. UberX customers could have a two foot wide TIP button in their puss and it would make little difference.

This has engulfed me for 14 months, but now I can sleep better at night knowing that Uber is taking more and more body shots and jabs.

Just a matter of time.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
That's the same attitude going around among management at my taxi company from what I see.

The "ridesharing" revolution isn't going to put us out of business any time soon.

Reactions: bobper and Rex8976

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wishful thinking guys. Its nice to dream but Ridesharing companies are not going anywhere anytime soon. Once they settle these regulations they will steamroll over the taxi industry. Sorry guys but this is a new day and age and Taxi's are soon to be a thing of the past. Accept the change and move on.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
You see, that's an example of your backwards thinking. You should be concerned when the competition prices are lower. That will mean a loss of business to you. It's already been demonstrated that Uber will find lots of drivers at these rates.

Uber will be back in BC soon.
John

p.s. Are you Ace Richards in disguise? :)
He also demonstrated illogical thinking.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uber has found a way to get more from the passenger while still playing keep-away with the drivers.

Now there's a recipe for long time success.

Ace Richards? One never knows, now do one?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Wishful thinking guys. Its nice to dream but Ridesharing companies are not going anywhere anytime soon. Once they settle these regulations they will steamroll over the taxi industry. Sorry guys but this is a new day and age and Taxi's are soon to be a thing of the past. Accept the change and move on.
Yeah, they're going to steamroll the taxi industry by pissing off their workers so bad they go on strike.

The company I work for makes a profit every year. Does Uber?

Reactions: NH_Uber_Driver

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once they settle these regulations...
Then what? Cherry picking the regs they like and storming off in a huff over the ones they don't?

Squeeze more from drivers and passengers?

After decades of abuse, at least the cab companies are making a small attempt at improving relations with both drivers and passengers. Of course they're only doing it because they have to, but at least they are doing it. Uber blatantly mistreats you and wraps it in a verbal lube. You hardly know the screwing you're getting.

If you don't see the writing on the wall, the wall may just fall on you.

Technology company, my butt..
Best. Quote. Ever.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Golfermack

You should be concerned when the competition prices are lower.
Not if the prices are so low there is little or no profit. It is not sustainable.

I would be more concerned if Uber rates were $1.50-$2.00 per mile. Plenty of meat on that bone.

Hell, at those rates with proper regulations I'd probably make the switch.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Uber has found a way to get more from the passenger while still playing keep-away with the drivers.

Now there's a recipe for long time success.
Now you're on to something. A business that gets more from their customers, while keeping expenses low, is a recipe for success.

And you, a taxi driver, "feel better about Uber now"? Propaganda.

Or, like Ace and other taxi drivers/companies, are you just trying to scare the Uber drivers away? Well, from what I've read is this forum, that isn't happening. Many Uber drivers are complaining there are too many Uber drivers.
John

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Golfermack

A business that gets more from their customers, while keeping expenses low, is a recipe for success.
You misunderstood. Drivers will not only not get an increase but it would not surprise me if the commission is applied to the extra SRF.

Nice edit job on my avatar! (I put that together years ago.)

Many Uber drivers are complaining there are too many Uber drivers.
With nothing to keep the number of drivers in check this issue will not go away any time soon ever.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
In my case, I never wanted this to be a full time job. If I turn on the rider app and see the map peppered with Uber Drivers, I simply stay home and work on my eBay store.

I have got the impression from many of my passengers, that Uber driving is a full time endeavor and much like driving a taxi. They think that soon after I deliver them to their destination, I will be transporting another rider, then another. It may work like that some places but not driving Select in Palm Beach County.

Assuming there will be rural places where it will always be like that, Uber or their competitors will eventually cater the model to accommodate the true ride share driver. Letting us know where the rider's destination will be is key to the success if they want to keep drivers. As I mature as an Uber driver, I now ignore many of the far away pings I get. If I knew where they were going, I'm sure I would accept some of them. It would also educate the rider that nobody wants to drive 15 minutes to take them down the street for a couple dollars. As it is now, the riders are like kids looking at all the presents under the Christmas tree. They are stoked and not at all analytical about where all this neat stuff comes from.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I wonder if Uber ever considers leveling the playing field by listening to drivers suggestions? Probably not while they are conquering the world. They need the rider to support them, so they pamper them unreasonably, all on the driver's back.

Recently I accepted a ping 9 miles away at 2AM. It was a multimillion dollar home on the ocean. When I got there, it took several minutes for a 40 year old drunk to appear with a drink in his hand. He was in the car before I saw it so I let it slide, as getting him out would not be as easy as preventing him from getting in. He was going 2 miles to another multimillion dollar house. As he was exiting the car, I mentioned that he was in a remote area with no other Ubers or taxis anywhere near him and that I left home 25 minutes ago and will be another 20 minutes returning, having spent $2 on gas and putting 20 miles on my car, all for $7.20.

He begrudgingly pulled out some cash and told me to "never do that again." I accept. I will never pick up anybody with his first name at that location. He rated me a 1 star of course. The point is, if I simply quit accepting long trips to remote locations, that is bad for Uber because that guy was not going to get a ride from anybody unless he called a taxi and waited an hour. If I accept and call them right away and ask where they are going, that is against Uber policy and also results in a lot of cancelled trips after they have been accepted, a situation that is not good for business.

One solution is for Uber to calculate the minimum charge based on how far and how long Google projects the driver to arrive at the pax. Easy to implement. In the meantime, I'm just going to turn down long trips to the rider unless it's somewhere I want to go anyways. I find it nauseating that this multi-millionaire felt so entitled that he could use me and my car for pennies.

If you drive Uber Select in Palm Beach County, you will likely notice on the rider app between 5 and 10 cars in and around the downtown-airport area at any given time. It becomes a game to position your car for maximum coverage as cars change position. It a game that not necessary. All uber needs to do is create a virtual boundary around the city. Color it on your driver app. When you enter that area, you go in a queue, just like they do when you're near the airport. Then you can park it and relax, knowing you'll get a ping from that area when you are 1st in the queue. It would work well anywhere in busy areas with lots of UberX cars too. Make the areas small enough so it just takes a couple minutes to get anywhere in the zone and let the jobs be distributed more evenly.

Let's hear some more ideas on how to improve Uber. We all likely agree on adding a tip option and a pay increase for UberX. What else?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts