Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Maybe you should ask the homeless on the highway exit ramps for wording. I saw one guy collect at least $3.00 while I was stopped at the exit light. Funny thing is I was driving a pax whom I'd waited 10 min for the ping, another 5 minutes for the pax to come out and another 10 minutes travel time all for a whopping $2.40. Imagine that, a bum made more $$$ in 1 minute time then I made in 25 min. Just a Fuber reality check people!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Ok so the verbage in the blue area I wouldn't put. You're making promises or statements that are out of your control.
I would never put a sign myself but if I did I would make it fun. Like a top 10 list of things you didn't know about Uber or Uber drivers. Make it fun, kind of like David Letterman used to do.
#1. Myth about Uber. Tips are not included in your fare. (The driver appreciates any and all tips)

#3. The founder of Uber (Travis Kalanick) was actually a rodeo clown before he created Uber while living in his moms basement.

I'm sure others have some ideas too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought it was a tablet at first too. I think it looks good.

Let's us know how pax react and if tipping increases.
Will do. I was driving for Lyft today but am doing Uber tomorrow and Saturday. That's when I will really know because I receive a tip from maybe one out of every 10 people, IF I am lucky. So it won't be hard to see the difference. I'll post back on that after Sunday night.

As for reactions so far, it has sparked some conversation but most just don't mention it. But they see it, I make sure of that. That's what my goal is, to spark a conversation, to spark thought. And if it offends some, that's okay, I''ll risk it. But hopefully they will start tipping the next guy. I figure, I have nothing to lose, I do not care to work for peanuts and I hate to say it but there is no room for ego here - we need the $ or we wouldn't be doing this mess of a job. The service industry is not for the faint of heart.

As for the blue highlighted wording, thank you for the reply and I totally understand your advice to make it lighter. But for now, I want to be as clear as possible. And I do believe what I wrote is logical - Driver's income becomes desirable when pax consistently tip, more drivers on the street means product = demand and, reasonably, rates can stay low. When there are less drivers, rates may go up to reel in more drivers to meet the demand (i.e.:surge) , etc, etc. If drivers are not making enough (and come on, we all know at these rates, the tips are a huge help), you will end up with only drivers willing to work for pennies on the dollar and lower quality cars. Anyhow, that's the long explanation of the blue portion. I think it's important passenger's know why it helps and to know we are not just a bunch of people making (supposed)great money and b!#[email protected]#$# for more without good reason to.
I'm tired. I apologize if the above makes no sense. Off to bed I go.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
You're wrong, tips WILL NOT ensure rates stay low. The rates are out of your control. Per mile rates and surge rates are regulated by Uber so how are tips going to ensure rates stay low? More cars on the road doesn't keep it from surging.
Also, how can a tip ensure the passenger gets a great driver with a well maintained car? Uber allows a lot of crappy drivers with crappy cars to be on the road so how is tipping you going to change that?
Those are misleading statements that you can't ensure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I clearly noted my logic and yes, more cars mean less surge when demand is met. There is nothing wrong about what I stated. I am not interested in arguing with you about it.

Moving on ... as I stated, I will happily report the results to those genuinely interested in knowing (not just for argument sake). As this is an experiment, and I have nothing to lose here, I am continuing onward.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Hey guys. I've decided to put signage up in my car. I'd like some feedback. Not whether or not I should do it at all or not, because I am. But feedback on wordage/presentation.
Thanks! :)
I clearly noted my logic and yes, more cars mean less surge when demand is met. There is nothing wrong about what I stated. I am not interested in arguing with you about it.

Moving on ... as I stated, I will happily report the results to those genuinely interested in knowing (not just for argument sake). As this is an experiment, and I have nothing to lose here, I am continuing onward.
You specifically asked for feedback on "wordage /presentation" did you just expect everyone to agree with you? I gave you what you wanted. If you think more cars on the road means it won't surge then you must have not been driving very long have you?
There have been a lot of days when there are more cars then there is demand and Uber still turns on the surge.
Don't ask for an opinion if you're going to get pissed about one. I explained my logic and it makes clear sense. You're making statements you can't back up. You can't guarantee any of that even if you do get a tip. Then, that makes you a liar. THAT'S MY OPINION THAT YOU ASKED FOR. Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol. Just because I asked for feedback does not mean I have to take it. I'm not offended by your opinion nor did I pretend to be, but you certainly are. I am allowed to disagree with you just as you are with me without this ridiculous drama ensuing.
And yes, since you question my ability to understand correlations, I have kept daily logged excel sheets of maticulous data since the day I began. I put in formulas to calculate ACTUAL costs to the penny on a daily basis as close as possible with a margin of error excluding "surprise" costs I have yet to encounter. I don't function on theory without data. I'm one of those sad fools that got a degree at a prestiged university in comp sci/mathematics and trying to still make ends meet. But it didn't take much analytical data to see the correlation with cars on the road, demand, and the consequential surge, or lack there of.
So yeah, I know exactly what I am doing data-wise. And you've taken this conversation to a personal level and that, I am not interested in. Life is too short.
...again, I will report my results to those interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts