Uber Drivers Forum banner

Feds say Rideshare drivers should be classified as Employees

5K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  wallae 
#1 ·
#14 ·
How many other no-skill minimum wage earning jobs let you pick when you work, where you work and who you work with and just for shits and giggles work for the competition at the same time?

I guess McDonald's and Wal*Mart let their no-skill workers pick the location they work at, when they will work, who they will work with and go across the street to Target or Carl's Jr. at the same time?

It's really odd how nobody ever seems to have an answer for this other than once we become employee's of Uber/Lyft, we will have a full time pay with no deductions, we will still get to work when we want, where we want and pick up who we want on both platforms at the same time because as an employee WE HAVE RIGHTS!!!!!!

#23 ·
1. We demand to know where we are going up front.

2. We demand to know how much we are getting paid.

I've been an employee, manager, general manager, employer and independent contractor.

No one is saying being an employee is better but drivers are not independent contractors.

Uber has to give up more control to drivers if they want them to be true independent contractors.
We can never be true ICs so long as Uber has a business relationship with the pax.

As soon as Uber collects their money, they become beholden to them. When issues arise, pax go to Uber, not the drivers for resolution.

Because Uber has to answer to the pax, they have to maintain control over the drivers.

This is how it is for other transport businesses (bus companies, livery services, airlines, etc.)

While we can never be true ICs, we can and should be treated exponentially better than we are now.

#26 ·
This is the issue I have in this debate. Democrats insist we just want "benefits", and Uber/Lyft/Dash insist we just want "flexibility". Both ignore our core need to be paid fairly for our time and our cars so that we can pay for our own "benefits". Neither wants us to have any actual negotiating power because we might get what we expect.

I mean, just look at the email Uber sent this week asking us to invite, for a mere $200 bonus, former drivers back on the road so we can all earn less and Uber earns more. No thanks. I like when pricing power is in the hands of drivers. Why insult me with $200?

#25 ·
And Biden won't put up with UL bs....

CNBC: Uber, Lyft, Doordash stocks fall sharply after U.S. Labor Secretary says gig workers should be classified as employees. Uber, Lyft, DoorDash stocks fall sharply after U.S. Labor secretary says gig workers should be classified as employees
Typical Democrat/Union BS. Force us to be employees so we pay much, much, much higher tax rates, preferably while being forced to pay union dues that are then funneled to Democrat campaigns. If Democrats cared about you as a worker, they'd be making it easier for you to be independent, not force you to be dependent on unions for "benefits". If Republicans cared about you, they'd be making it easier for you to be independent, not dependent on an employer for "benefits". Neither party cares about you beyond election day, which is why they fight the most over whether to allow you to vote or not.

#38 ·
while being forced to pay union dues
you see Biden hasn't been sat down and explained to yet. He doesn't get to have a union one must be an employee. to have a union the employees must all vote to 'become' a union.

Becoming an employee isn't happening anytime soon and all drivers voting 50% plus 1 to unionize isn't happening either.

Driver, at least in calif, already spoke.

#29 ·
And people wouldn't believe me when I said I was from the future bearing witness to it's downfall, so far we are on track.

Prop 22 while a small victory (and a cautionary tale when dealing with Uber) has helped their downfall (California pay cuts anyone?), this has cemented the truth about Uber's intention and now that Biden is ready to unleash hell on this "glitch" in the labor department, they will be facing ZERO support from their drivers, of course we speak... about the very little niche they managed to convince (ants mostly), I mean, how does it feel to be as desperate as those drivers you kept on ****ing over? Now drivers aren't desperate, they are collecting and doing other stuff, some may be smart enough to use SBA loans to start a business, they have realized their lives aren't worth 10 bucks an hour through COVID, you have no platoon anymore, Uber, you cannot keep the farce going by flooding your driver pool, your boost will last for so long... and when you dry up, whatever was there taking advantage of you, will be gone too, I hope you plan to bonus for 7 more months, LOL.

Uber had ONE chance at taking the right path on their timeline fork, they failed to deliver, now it's time to see it all crumble like a house of cards.

Dang Uber.. you had but one simple option... change your app and figure out a way to make it work while allowing people to see destinations and set their prices... not only have you ruined it for yourselves, you have ruined it for every other d-bag trying to exploit this labor loophole.

PS: Can you and Lyft stop sending me messages to drive? I hate spam 🤣🤣🤣

#41 ·
If a plumber accepts a job for a fee without knowing the details of the job, it doesn't make them an employee, just a bad business person.

If a rideshare driver accepts a job for a fee without knowing the details of the job, it doesn't make them an employee, just a bad business person.

If an entity offers a fee for a service, it doesn't necessarily make them an employer. If I offer the corn dealer $1.00 per ear if he brings it to me at 5 pm everyday doesn't make me his employer. If the corn dealer accepts, he's probably a bad business person as he can sell the product for twice as much and not have to be at a certain place at a certain time.

I've worked as an IC for 30 years. Some clients ask me to bid on an assignment. Some clients offer a fee for an assignment. Accepting either type of assignment doesn't make me an employee. Some years I made 95% of my gross from one client. That doesn't make me an employee. On any assignment I accept, I know the scope of work involved. Accepting an assignment without knowing the details would make me a bad business person. It wouldn't make me an employee.

#52 ·
If a plumber accepts a job for a fee without knowing the details of the job, it doesn't make them an employee, just a bad business person.

If a rideshare driver accepts a job for a fee without knowing the details of the job, it doesn't make them an employee, just a bad business person.

If an entity offers a fee for a service, it doesn't necessarily make them an employer. If I offer the corn dealer $1.00 per ear if he brings it to me at 5 pm everyday doesn't make me his employer. If the corn dealer accepts, he's probably a bad business person as he can sell the product for twice as much and not have to be at a certain place at a certain time.

I've worked as an IC for 30 years. Some clients ask me to bid on an assignment. Some clients offer a fee for an assignment. Accepting either type of assignment doesn't make me an employee. Some years I made 95% of my gross from one client. That doesn't make me an employee. On any assignment I accept, I know the scope of work involved. Accepting an assignment without knowing the details would make me a bad business person. It wouldn't make me an employee.
They say to have a contract you need a meeting of the minds
As i’m pulling up to the train station only knowing x is 4 minutes away but without knowing if I have to go 280 miles 4 hours on Rt 95 or 280 miles on a 2 lane roads with 100 traffic lights in 8 hours a meeting of the minds?

#42 ·
Wow, you actually think Joe is in charge, don't you?

#45 ·

CNBC: Uber, Lyft, Doordash stocks fall sharply after U.S. Labor Secretary says gig workers should be classified as employees. Uber, Lyft, DoorDash stocks fall sharply after U.S. Labor secretary says gig workers should be classified as employees
Good. Make it happen. The very moment that Uber classifies drivers as employees is the same moment that I will become a ex-Uber driver. No benefits for me. The prices of uber rideshare will definitely go up and the driver loses because there will be a greater investment by uber. The employee will really become a slave then.This is a no win for the driver. Be careful what you ask for.

#49 ·

The downside of "Getting benefits" Should this happen after the required public comment period. 1. Drivers would lose their ability to work when & where they chose for as an employee the company can require you to work certain hours days and even certain areas. Since you are paid for milage driven you lose the milage driven tax break. Yes the company would have to provide insurance but you probably would have to pay a great portion of the premium.
The labor department is NOT doing thus to help the gig workers. This is just another way to destroy private interprise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.