Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
At 85 cents a mile Less the 20%, we will be realizing 68 cents a mile. Some of you are on the hook at a higher percentage. Even the IRS says the car costs 57 cents a mile to operate and we know that's a low figure. It can't cost the same amount to run a Prius compared to a minivan. That means we are providing these rides for max, 11 cents a mile. Just wow! How many miles do you have to drive to pay for a McDonald's meal at 7 bucks and change? That would be around 70 miles. You would have to drive around 70 paid miles to pay for a McDonald's meal. That's nuts.

·
Premium Member
10,871 Posts
well if philly rates get cut....alot of guys will quit. only guys will last is weekend warriors who pay child support or just need that xtra $50 a night in thier pocket....it makes $100 no sense to cut phila. and if i had no skills and worrys i would cross right over to taxi's as they make alot higher per day then uber x and get to no worry stupid rating system that customers take big advantage of..
like friday. i had a girl going 1 mile in city turn left turn rt. go this way its faster.
our you kidding me all the turns for $3.50 cents.
in a taxi i would have never taken her

·
Registered
388 Posts
If there is any fate cuts in the philly area on either platform, I would have to hang it up. not worth it at that point.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I work the DE beaches for 1.50 a mile and do great on the weekends. I could not ever see myself doing this for under 1.00 a mile. The IRS says that you spend 55 cents a mile to drive your car and that is a pretty good figure. Add up all your dead miles, oil changes and tire rotations, gas, car wash, increase in auto insurance if you are doing commercial policy, tires and brakes. I would say unless you are getting a lot of surge, it is not worth driving in Philly. If you want to continue to drive, move to another market.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm noticing more and more immigrants and ex cab drivers doing Uber and Lyft in Philly now. It's sad. Always a beat up car, can't speak English and they suck at driving, and they will work all day for $5/hour.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm noticing more and more immigrants and ex cab drivers doing Uber and Lyft in Philly now. It's sad. Always a beat up car, can't speak English and they suck at driving, and they will work all day for $5/hour.
When I worked Baltimore last year I had no clue what I was doing but I was still able to make $150-$200 per day. Those were 10-12 hour days so I think I was bringing in more than $5/hour. I am thinking once I learn my way around the city and the surge trends that figure would go up. I am sure Philly is the same. You have to figure this stuff out as a driver. Nobody is going to tell you how to enhance your income.

There are more drivers at the DE beaches this year than last year but I am still brining in more money. How is that possible? You learn the trends. You learn where the best places our to pickup fares and get longer trips.

You also market yourself. People like me because I do speak English and drive a nice car. I hand them a business card. That can lead to "regular users" asking for you.

The other options you have are driving UberBlack or UberSUV and going for the higher clientele market. But the costs to enter this market are very high. I got to think if you drive a Lincoln or Mercedes for Uber you can make some bigger bucks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I worked Baltimore last year I had no clue what I was doing but I was still able to make $150-$200 per day. Those were 10-12 hour days so I think I was bringing in more than $5/hour. I am thinking once I learn my way around the city and the surge trends that figure would go up. I am sure Philly is the same. You have to figure this stuff out as a driver. Nobody is going to tell you how to enhance your income.

There are more drivers at the DE beaches this year than last year but I am still brining in more money. How is that possible? You learn the trends. You learn where the best places our to pickup fares and get longer trips.

You also market yourself. People like me because I do speak English and drive a nice car. I hand them a business card. That can lead to "regular users" asking for you.

The other options you have are driving UberBlack or UberSUV and going for the higher clientele market. But the costs to enter this market are very high. I got to think if you drive a Lincoln or Mercedes for Uber you can make some bigger bucks.
When I first started I didn't make much. Now that I know trends and where to be at what times I make decent money. I'd never survive doing uber full time but as a part time gig for me it's a really nice income. It's all about how you view it. If you people got into it thinking they were going to make 90k a year, bought a new car, etc. then of course they're frustrated and it's their own fault for investing so much into something so high risk. It gives me a chance to work part time WHEN I WANT TO. I don't miss out on things bc of it. Don't have to worry about a set schedule and having to switch with someone if I need off. As long as people are willing to drive on low rates, uber will keep them low. There aren't many part time gigs where I could work 15-20 hours a week when I want and make $17/hr which is what I bring in after taxes, expenses, and depreciation. If you're smart about it, it works. Let the people willing to make $5/HR go make it. That's on them. I have a part time job that's doesn't affect my life and it pays my mortgage each month.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Uber is the WORST of any 1099 contract jobs, you make almost nothing for the amount of effort required to put into it. The attraction of 1099 work used to be that it paid well, not the case with Uber.
Try selling AFLAC insurance. They've got people walking the streets knocking on business's doors trying to start new accounts. But they have no territories so newbies keep knocking on the same doors over and over getting yelled at by business owners that have already said no a dozen times. They have endless training seminars that require you to drive 50 miles to get to, pay for your own parking, etc. It takes months from when the owner says "yes" to signing people up and getting paid. Oh, and since you're new and need help from an experienced agent, you have to split your commissions with people who already make $100k a year. I made more in my first month with Uber than I did in all of 2015 with AFLAC. Now THAT is the worst 1099 job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts