Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a request that was 8 minutes and just over 2 miles away. The only reason I accepted it is because it was close to a hotel and I thought it could be an airport run. This was on a Wednesday at about 10am. So, I drive to the hotel on St. Charles and pick up a guy and I drive him 8 blocks. I get the minimum fair which is 3 bucks. I actually lost money by accepting this trip. This is not the first time this has happened. I decided to give good ole Uber a ring and I got the generic message created by the algorithm they use. Typical! In the message they say that I was the closest partner and they want to make the app so reliable that people want to use it all the time. There business model does not care if you lose money on a trip! This is going to be the next lawsuit! If Uber is sending all of its drivers on trips that are losing them money, they are liable for said money! This Uber thing is supposed to pay money, not take it! And the fact that the message also told me that I should accept every ping I get, is them encouraging me to lose money!

Viva La Uber!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I always wonder: If I have to drive 8 minutes or 2 miles to a PAX, how is that not a surge area?? There is obviously more demand than drivers at the time. If the same thing had happened to you with Lyft, you'd have gotten the whole $5 the PAX
was charged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What do you mean the whole $5 the PAX was charged? If the trip starts, Lyft and Uber get their cut. That's happened to me a few times on Uber - long drives to pickups for short rides - but hasn't happened much recently. Lyft seems to be the one sending me all over the place, 8-10 minutes when I'm in the French Quarter towards the Garden District where I know an airport ride isn't probably coming from there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Uber drivers are starting to sound like the cab drivers that they are supposedly so much more professional than. Lol. Every run is not going to be an airport. Problem is the only way to really make money is going to the airport.

·
Premium Member
60,721 Posts
I got a request that was 8 minutes and just over 2 miles away. The only reason I accepted it is because it was close to a hotel and I thought it could be an airport run. This was on a Wednesday at about 10am. So, I drive to the hotel on St. Charles and pick up a guy and I drive him 8 blocks. I get the minimum fair which is 3 bucks. I actually lost money by accepting this trip. This is not the first time this has happened. I decided to give good ole Uber a ring and I got the generic message created by the algorithm they use. Typical! In the message they say that I was the closest partner and they want to make the app so reliable that people want to use it all the time. There business model does not care if you lose money on a trip! This is going to be the next lawsuit! If Uber is sending all of its drivers on trips that are losing them money, they are liable for said money! This Uber thing is supposed to pay money, not take it! And the fact that the message also told me that I should accept every ping I get, is them encouraging me to lose money!

Viva La Uber!
Uber claimed they quit sending us across the river.

Last week,after reading Uber would no longer send us across river,I'm driving down Tchoupitoulas Street ,I get a ping for over 6 miles away on West Bank.

No surge.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Uber drivers are starting to sound like the cab drivers that they are supposedly so much more professional than. Lol. Every run is not going to be an airport. Problem is the only way to really make money is going to the airport.
I agree. They are more concerned with ratings than providing a "ride for a few bucks" in their spare time. Some have even purchased a vehicle just for driving uber and lyft. That's a ridiculous expense for a part time job.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I could care less about my ratings. I just don't want someone to puke in my car or spill a drink.

Besides, I actually enjoy kicking people out of my car. It's one of the few enjoyable things about the gig.

·
Premium Member
60,721 Posts
Blame Uber for that.

They turned Garden of Eden into a slum.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Spoken like an actual taxi driver. Lmao!
She doesn't realize I'm the guy responsible for the Uber strike in Baton Rouge earlier this year.

We didn't get much accomplished, but we did manage to shut down the service for nearly 24 hours in Baton Rouge after the rate cuts. It was pretty amusing to see zero cars available for a solid day.

·
Registered
174 Posts
She doesn't realize I'm the guy responsible for the Uber strike in Baton Rouge earlier this year.

We didn't get much accomplished, but we did manage to shut down the service for nearly 24 hours in Baton Rouge after the rate cuts. It was pretty amusing to see zero cars available for a solid day.
I know now. Kudos to you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts