Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Falsely accused of denying a service dog

4K views 42 replies 29 participants last post by  Mista T 
#1 ·
Hey guys...how many of you guys have got their accounts deactivated due to a rider falsely accusing you of denying a service dog? This happened to me last year in Washington DC... a woman no showed for a ride and after I had cancelled the ride, She walked up to my car and tried to get in.... and I explained to her that I waited over 5 mins and that she didn’t make her way out to the car and we’re allowed to cancel after we call and wait 5 mins.... and due the weather conditions after I cancelled her I had someone else already waiting to be picked up..... I later asked Uber to refund her the cancellation fee and a week later I get the email that I was going to deactivated because of I denied a service dog?! There wasn’t no dog involved... I explained myself to everyone through emails.... I tried the green hub.... it’s a he saidshe said situation! Why doesn’t Uber understand?

#3 ·
Hey guys...how many of you guys have got their accounts deactivated due to a rider falsely accusing you of denying a service dog? This happened to me last year in Washington DC... a woman no showed for a ride and after I had cancelled the ride, She walked up to my car and tried to get in.... and I explained to her that I waited over 5 mins and that she didn't make her way out to the car and we're allowed to cancel after we call and wait 5 mins.... and due the weather conditions after I cancelled her I had someone else already waiting to be picked up..... I later asked Uber to refund her the cancellation fee and a week later I get the email that I was going to deactivated because of I denied a service dog?! There wasn't no dog involved... I explained myself to everyone through emails.... I tried the green hub.... it's a he saidshe said situation! Why doesn't Uber understand?
Uber and Lyft are unethical, scummy companies that look at their drivers as disposable and easily replaced trash.

Read my post on immigration for more details.

#4 ·
Hey guys...how many of you guys have got their accounts deactivated due to a rider falsely accusing you of denying a service dog? This happened to me last year in Washington DC... a woman no showed for a ride and after I had cancelled the ride, She walked up to my car and tried to get in.... and I explained to her that I waited over 5 mins and that she didn't make her way out to the car and we're allowed to cancel after we call and wait 5 mins.... and due the weather conditions after I cancelled her I had someone else already waiting to be picked up..... I later asked Uber to refund her the cancellation fee and a week later I get the email that I was going to deactivated because of I denied a service dog?! There wasn't no dog involved... I explained myself to everyone through emails.... I tried the green hub.... it's a he saidshe said situation! Why doesn't Uber understand?
Write to Uber ASAP and clarify that there was no dog present, nor was that the reason you had to cancel. You waited the required 5 minutes, she was a no-show so you cancelled the ride in order to move on to your next trip; the original rider was late hence she lost out on her ride. She should NOT have her money refunded since she wasted your time and energy and effort and gas in getting to her pick up spot. I'm not sure why you asked them to refund her, that's not how it works.

Tell them you'll send the dash cam footage of the pickup to prove there was no service animal involved - it's ridiculous to think that pax are now illegally suggesting that they have service animals so they don't have to pay for a trip they were too inconsiderate to be on time for. What is wrong with these idiotic assholes? How much lower can they go FFS?

#42 ·
When will drivers get off their high horse and start treating the pax as human beings?

Exactly lol! Some people actually count on your waiting for their Snowflake asses and will come out at the very last second. THOSE are the most satisfying cancels of all, even if I'm not getting the cancel fee because I'm just so sick of those entitled types. I have only had 3 or 4, but they are infuriating.

Also, isn't the fact that THEY deactivate us over any reason rather infer an employer relationship? I mean, does Microsoft cancel our accounts for any reason? No! Do they have any rules and regulations as to the usage of their software? No. Any other app creators?
Why not actually try doing the job?

#10 ·
Write to Uber ASAP and clarify that there was no dog present, nor was that the reason you had to cancel. You waited the required 5 minutes, she was a no-show so you cancelled the ride in order to move on to your next trip; the original rider was late hence she lost out on her ride. She should NOT have her money refunded since she wasted your time and energy and effort and gas in getting to her pick up spot. I'm not sure why you asked them to refund her, that's not how it works.

Tell them you'll send the dash cam footage of the pickup to prove there was no service animal involved - it's ridiculous to think that pax are now illegally suggesting that they have service animals so they don't have to pay for a trip they were too inconsiderate to be on time for. What is wrong with these idiotic assholes? How much lower can they go FFS?
I know JC! And for 5$ or their inconsiderate a$$ez heard the word no. Society is turning into a poop emoji. I have said it before these people just need a beat down.

#11 · (Edited)
I later asked Uber to refund her the cancellation fee and a week later I get the email that I was going to deactivated because of I denied a service dog?!
By doing that you inadvertently set yourself up for the deactivation by lending credence to the idea that she may have been wrongfully cancelled on.

Since she confronted you about the cancelation attempting to get into your car the best course of action would have been to double down on your cancelation sending a note to support explaining the details of the cancelation specifically that you cancelled on her as a no-show and she showed up after the fact and became irate.

Also you should be pulling away as you're canceling or immediately after. Never stick around near the pickup point after you cancel.

And lastly communication with a Pax after a cancelation is not a good idea. That's generally going to lead to problems for you.

The best you can do at this point is to reply insisting there was no animal involved that she was a no-show and you were being nice by asking she not be charged when she should have been, and you did so only because she was irate at you and you thought it was the responsible customer service thing to do for your customer.

Good luck.

#13 ·
Where is your dashcam footage. You'd have to bring it into a GLH to actually get anyone to watch it, though.

#14 ·
This really really sucks. :(

When I cancel, I literally drive away first and make sure no frantic pax with rocks or an AR 15 comes running after the car. Once I'm sure I'm safe, I hit the cancel. It just makes sense.
Exactly lol! Some people actually count on your waiting for their Snowflake asses and will come out at the very last second. THOSE are the most satisfying cancels of all, even if I'm not getting the cancel fee because I'm just so sick of those entitled types. I have only had 3 or 4, but they are infuriating.

Also, isn't the fact that THEY deactivate us over any reason rather infer an employer relationship? I mean, does Microsoft cancel our accounts for any reason? No! Do they have any rules and regulations as to the usage of their software? No. Any other app creators?

#16 ·
Tip; never admit you have any knowledge of any incident. Tell them only your side that you waited and no one showed up. Do not offer any information. Each time I get a nasty message or threat of deactivation, I will remind Uber that I am a professional driver and I don't take it lightly when my livelihood is threatened. Go as far as holding Uber responsible for allowing this to happen and you will get a lawyer if they deactivate you. Play hardball but be nice.

#17 ·
start driving off before you cancel no show.

#18 ·
Thats strange. Doesn't Mohammed mean dog lover in Arabic?
Meaning & History
Means "praiseworthy", derived from Arabic حمد (hamid) meaning "to praise". This was the name of the prophet who founded the Islamic religion in the 7th century. According to Muslim belief, at age 40 Muhammad was visited by the angel Gabriel, who provided him with the first verses of the Qur'an. Approximately 20 years later he conquered Mecca, the city of his birth, and his followers controlled most of the Arabian Peninsula at the time of his death in 632.

Since the prophet's time his name has been very popular in the Muslim world. It was borne by several Abbasid caliphs and six sultans of the Ottoman Empire (though their names are usually given in the Turkish spelling Mehmet). It was also borne by Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi, a 9th-century Persian mathematician and scientist who devised algebra. Other famous bearers include the founder of Pakistan Muhammad Ali Jinnah (1876-1948) and the American boxer Muhammad Ali (1942-2016).

#19 ·
Ask them if they have the right driver as you didn't see a dog in a few weeks and then ask which ride it happened on. They won't tell you lol

Hopefully after a few similar complaints they will deactivate the rider

#24 ·
The email situation sucks, try and find a human to talk to, if the woman didn't even have a dog then seriously they can't do that.

#31 ·
Nope. Federal law specifically says they don't. Fed law supercedes state law (if it exists) in this example.
The law you're citing doesn't apply to our private property (car), it is meant for major corporation not to discriminate, by we are not employees as you have pointed out on a couple of occasions. We're not companies, we are private individuals offering a rideshare in our private property.
Before you say we are paid to perform a service that is not true either, Uber is paid and we just receive a cut for the use of our car.

#32 ·
DASH CAM>>>>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742J69SQ/?tag=ubne0c-20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.