Uber Drivers Forum banner

Fake surges or what?

2K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  Lolinator 
#1 ·
the surge was on for so long in the North York area but only 1 ping after long wait???
Time was 430-5:30am

#2 ·
Yes it's fake. Uber probably wants enough drivers on the street for morning rush when real surge would come in. This week every morning it would surge all the way up to steeles.

The streets are saturated.

You can tell it's fake because POOL is not surging, only x.

And it's still ongoing

#5 ·
No, there is an issue with some drivers only. A friend of mine had the same issue all night. He called them too. They told him uninstall re install. Didnt help. If your app is working this morning u gonna make some. Cause lot of drivers wont get any pings. Unless they fix the issue

#9 ·
It was fake. It stared just before 3:00am while I was around Steels and Jane. I drove through on Finch to Yonge, then Yonge to Sheppard, Sheppard to Don Mills, Don Mill to York Mills and didn't get a ping. There was hardly anyone on the streets. I saw a drop off at Finch and Yonge and a pick up a little bit down from there, and that all I could see from the streets while the surge was as high as 2.5X.

#10 ·
There was definitely an issue with my account as was not getting any requests and could also not see my car on the riders app.
Issue was related to a recent change in how we now select our vehicle.
Because in the past I had done Uber eats, ice cream and pizza promos, had 4 different vehicles setup under my profile.
Went to hub and they deleted them all except my Uber x vehicle.
I immediately started receiving requests.
Hope this helps someone in the same situation.

#24 ·
i spoke with uberfast and he said uber is testing how much riders are willing to pay for the x price increase. apparently pool will remain the same price to entice riders to take pool. ubers is testing if 1.4x is viable for riders, if business remains the same, expect a 30-40% increase in rates before the new year.

This increase should also make up for the driver saturation we are experiencing now. (earnings wise)

#34 ·
What? No man, no issues getting pings. I'm getting pool pings and x 10 minutes away. It's fake surge.
I can confirm that I was one of those guys drove around for an hour through a 2-2.5x surge... Went grocery shopping at an all night metro with app on, not one ping. I get back to my building get a 2.5x call I accept and lose the call bc if a network error.... The surge was fake, I checked the rider app constantly and their were more than enough cars.

#36 ·
it was hilarious watching the cars on the app magically appear. and it was funny watching them following the surge. i was parked at yonge and shep and another uber pulls up behind me. i was having a smoke and approached him and said 'buddy, it's fake surge, go back to sleep'. he was driving a black benz SUV waiting for the x surge call. it wasn't coming.

also... most drivers couldnt figure it out and haven't. its this forum board where drivers communicate and exchange ideas is where things get figured out, most drivers are CLUELESS

#35 ·
in the morning it was north york and scarborough surge test. now its vauguan and sauga
How could they think we could not figure it out? It has never surged in Vaughan and Etobicoke at this time on a weekday, and most peeps if they live or work in that area have a car,if anything it should be surging downtown,there is no event happening in these locations.Actually looking back at yesterday surge on the east end Polson Pier,I should have known something was up.It's a school week and on a weekday and just around 9pm.

It seems like it won't go higher than 1.5x.As of 6.06pm its surging Annex area 1.2x-1.4x

#39 ·
Well, think positive... all noobs will see this, and flock to the west side... leaving downtown and east side under-serviced... guess where I'm heading this afternoon ;)
Well, replying to myself, it wasn't as glorious as I envisioned. In fact, it was bad, no surges downtown really. Ah well, ended up with $100 for 5 hrs, last hour driving back home with destination on yielded no rides unfortunately :(

#46 ·
Large Surges are largely predictable, unless some sort of major event happens (festival or concert) or other forms of transportation are down (subway or go train).

There is a critical mass of drivers in large urban areas now that should prevent this sort of deep surge. This isn't the far end of a suburb surging because of lack of drivers.

Hundreds of people don't just decide to go out on a Wednesday at midnight for no reason.

Something is wonky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.