Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been downtown all day and it has surged more time than I can count and little to no rides...it has not surged this much since SXSW...I have had three rides from 7:20am to 12:40....not sure what's that about..anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes I've seen this happen before. Normally I attribute this to a glitch in the system I log off and then back on and the unexpected surge disappears most of the time. Some times I have to reboot my phone to make it go away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a phone issue at all...I have been sitting with another Uber driver Select driver and we both are getting the same thing. This has been going on for two days now

·
Registered
933 Posts
Not a phone issue at all...I have been sitting with another Uber driver Select driver and we both are getting the same thing. This has been going on for two days now
Then it's Uber. Probably trying to get more drivers out. Why I've no freaking idea. If you two are not getting pings why does Uber want more drivers in your area. (rolls eyes)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Then it's Uber. Probably trying to get more drivers out. Why I've no freaking idea. If you two are not getting pings why does Uber want more drivers in your area. (rolls eyes)
Because they need enough to match the phantom cars driving all over the pax app.

I am willing to bet if you get a ping it's non surge, too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've been seeing this here in the raleigh NC area. I went home at 3am to see that it's surging in chapel hill and Durham and there are no cars available in either town. So I head back out to try and capitalize and right as I drive inside the surge area they disappear! It pissed me off. I'd been had--the old bate and switch. Since I was already out I sat for 30 minutes before I got a ride. At 8:30 am it was crazy surging over 3.5. I kept checking the pax app. Just me and one other car available yet no requests for 20 minutes until it drops to 1.5. Did all those people just lose interest? I definitely think uber creates surges to manipulate a few drivers to come to an area so there are at least a few cars available depending on past demand for that time/place.

Has Travis not heard the parable of "the boy hood cried wolf." If Uber wants its drivers to respond to legitimate demand they need to be honest about it. That's the last time I head back out because it's apparently surging and there's no drivers on the road. They're only gonna piss off their customers with such bullshit antics.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nobody's saying all surges are fake. Sometimes they last a few minutes. Sometimes they go for hours. In my case and other's, given the odd incongruities of circumstance, it's pretty obvious they're sometimes fake. Yes, people do know they can effectively just wait for a surge to end. But doing so can also create a snowball effect. Those trying to wait out a surge ultimately still need a ride so they try again later only to find it's still there or gone up because more people needing rides have logged on. Yes, we must modify our expectations to reflect that surge pricing isn't usually a true representation of supply and demand. Basically, surges should never influence a drivers behavior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The surge is designed to get riders who normally use select to try lux. When select is at a 1.5 surge, it's cheaper to take lux. When select was introduced a while back, X surged like mad for a while.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have noticed a few "surges" in areas where there is a Pax that always requests a ride at say 5 pm to go home. It'll surge till 4:59 and drop. 5 pm comes the ping for the pax. its an area I never see a car on the rider app..

I think uber knows he'll ping at 5 pm because he's been doing it for months and uses a fake surge to get a driver there. I normally knock off around 5 pm and he is headed the same way I am so I always try to be by his pickup point around 5 so he can pay me to drive home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm pretty pissed about the fake surges. If Uber wants drivers in a certain location, pay for my vehicle and gas and call yourselves a taxi company. I drove 140 miles to make $45 chasing these fake surges around. So now, when a surge comes up, I will ignore it or drive away from it. That is assuming I continue to drive for Uber. This experience has made me decide to try Lyft. Deceiving your drivers is a horrible way to do business.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have been downtown all day and it has surged more time than I can count and little to no rides...it has not surged this much since SXSW...I have had three rides from 7:20am to 12:40....not sure what's that about..anyone seen this before?
It's not just Uber. Fasten had maaaaaad surges going on Friday. Downtown was lit up at around 3.2 for 45 minutes Friday. I cruised thru downtown, even parking at the capitol for 20 min and watched it disappear. It's all bullshit.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Weird. My surge map seemed accurate. I was in a 1.5 zone and i got a 1.5x request. I was in a 2.4x zone and I got a 2.4x request. 6 of 7 of my rides on Friday were all surge zones and all surge fairs.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
it's not necessary fake, when more people checking and requesting rides and few driver closeby it will build a surge, but you need passenger to accept the price, now they all know to wait or switch to Lyft.

of course there are some fake surge like the dark red outside the airport, that's definitely trying to get more driver to airport queue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts