Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know... Don't chase surges. Was running select and was passing by PB at 1:30 this morning. It was surging at 2x. Sat in the heart of it all for about 45 minutes. I watched it Go all the way up to 2.5x and uberx to almost 3x. Nothing. I even switched over to x for a couple minutes at over 2x and nothing.

What a scam. Someone needs to do a class action or something. I have a ton of screen shots and suggest you guys do a few as well and record this.

After 45 min I left and the app still showed 1.7x. Ridiculous.

Was up in north county also during a surge. Got a ping and there was no multiplier. WTF. It was not the first time this has happened.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Seen many a fake surge, especially on Coronado, created just to draw vehicles to that coverage area when there are few or none. That said, in PB most of the bars start kicking everyone out at 1:30 because they all close at 2:00. So it is likely the surge came from that, and you didn't get anything because you weren't sitting right next to a bar on Garnet. That's how it is for SUV. If you aren't in front of a bar at 1:30, all the trips will get soaked up by the guys who are. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well that sucks. My partner was just at the main office recently and they told him Select has the least demand of all classes in San Diego. To the point that they took off the ability for us to class down to select from SUV so as to help preserve trip volume for the purely select drivers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. Select has been sucking. I have ridden with other select drivers and they fill the voids with lyft rides. But what is troubling us that Select was showing the surge and nada

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ok, just you guys know, the surges aren't fake, the surges are real. What happens though, is that passengers in the area opt out of surge rides, or there isn't as much demand as Uber though in order to put the surge into place. Uber has a computer that predicts when there will be high demand, if you were in PB, bars close around that time and it becomes the busiest time for PB. Uber's computer put a real surge into place, the surge is just a price increase, so the surge was real, however the rides just didn't happen.

A fake surge would mean there was no expected demand and Uber just hiked the price to screw with drivers, which I highly doubt happens, I think what happens is the computer expects demand, then not all drivers end up catching a ride. I say in Encinitas yesterday after that event in 2.0x for almost an hour with zero pings. It's just how that one went, other times I get 3 back to back surge rides on Select, which is a pretty big deal.

Just a tip, don't think Uber is conspiring against you personally, or against drivers, just know that a surge means there is "expected demand" not "guaranteed demand" and you will be less disappointed when you don't get a ride.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah. Select has been sucking. I have ridden with other select drivers and they fill the voids with lyft rides. But what is troubling us that Select was showing the surge and nada
I had my best night ever since I started Uber last night, almost all my Select rides had some sort of surge, I even took some X rides because of how high the surge got.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well that sucks. My partner was just at the main office recently and they told him Select has the least demand of all classes in San Diego. To the point that they took off the ability for us to class down to select from SUV so as to help preserve trip volume for the purely select drivers.
Interesting, I was driving Select/XL and was told I couldn't do both at the same time anymore. I was also told SUV could still do Black/Select, but not XL. I wonder what the real policy is?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting, I was driving Select/XL and was told I couldn't do both at the same time anymore. I was also told SUV could still do Black/Select, but not XL. I wonder what the real policy is?
That is very strange. We used to be able to choose between being online as Black/SUV, or Select/XL as well. Now we just have XL as an option on top of Black/SUV.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
If UberX is 3x @ 1:30-2am then that surge is real, buddy. Find where the surge is coming from within the zone & you'll get rides. I can't speak for Select but this is damn near always the case with X, atleast for me anyway. Learn the neighborhoods. I can tell you exactly where surge is coming from late @ night in North Park, Hillcrest & Little Italy. Those are the area's I'm most familiar with. Gaslamp too but I don't do "Gaglamp" late @ night anymore. Uber/Lyft can't pay me enough for that f*ckery. Lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts