Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am getting really frustrated how often this happens where no matter how close you get to the sticky surge number, you will never reach it. This isn't the first night this has happened to me, but it makes me want to just ignore the surge altogether.

Here's an example of what I mean: $4.75 surge sticker. I drove all the way around the block on all 4 streets, and I was still at $2.75. So then I actually drove into the drive way here and it still only gave me $2.75 and not $4.75. I couldn't get closer maybe unless I had to be physically inside of the the apartments:

And then here, to me this one looks like it should be $4.50 right on the street, not even in a building, and I still am getting a $2.75 instead of a $4.50

It seems like Uber just puts fake numbers out there to lure you but you can't actually ever actually get a surge as high as the numbers on the map say.

The ping requests that pop up show the lower $2.75 surge, not the higher $4.50/$4.75. So it's not just the bottom bar that is glitched. The surge map is either glitched or deliberately misleading.

·
Premium Member
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another case, this time not showing any surge at all, and I'm as close as I can get. The alley where the $5 sticker is at is behind a locked gate:

·
Premium Member
10,571 Posts
Even better you land a big one. Pick up passengers. You dont get it. Must screen shot it with passengers as proof. Especially if over $10. Mine was 20. Had I know this trick I would have canceled the ride due to misleading me.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Try login off then in. It's notorious for not putting the GPS in the correct position. I don't know how many times the GPS puts me 1/2 mile away on surge.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Sometimes it works to go offline then online again. But sometimes when you do that, when you go back online again you see that the number is lower or gone, suggesting the number you saw previously was just delayed and wasn't really "there".

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I am getting really frustrated how often this happens where no matter how close you get to the sticky surge number, you will never reach it. This isn't the first night this has happened to me, but it makes me want to just ignore the surge altogether.

Here's an example of what I mean: $4.75 surge sticker. I drove all the way around the block on all 4 streets, and I was still at $2.75. So then I actually drove into the drive way here and it still only gave me $2.75 and not $4.75. I couldn't get closer maybe unless I had to be physically inside of the the apartments:

View attachment 605848

And then here, to me this one looks like it should be $4.50 right on the street, not even in a building, and I still am getting a $2.75 instead of a $4.50

View attachment 605847

It seems like Uber just puts fake numbers out there to lure you but you can't actually ever actually get a surge as high as the numbers on the map say.

The ping requests that pop up show the lower $2.75 surge, not the higher $4.50/$4.75. So it's not just the bottom bar that is glitched. The surge map is either glitched or deliberately misleading.
Of course. It's Uber's version of the taunting of Tantalus.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
There seems to be a new problem, starting today, that the surge display simply will not update AT ALL while you are online with any platform.

Previously, if you'd try to chase surge while offline you were doing it wrong. The surge update frequency while offline has been way too slow/lagged for a long time. The trick was to chase surge while remaining online, which would give you frequent - almost real time - surge updates. You could chase while online with UberX, but then you'd be declining pings constantly and unable to carry or accumulate a sticky. OR you could stay online with an unpopular platform like Pet or Connect. This was the real magic trick. Then you could lock in and accumulate your sticky while you chased after higher and higher numbers... being able to react immediately when the numbers change and being confident (most of the time) if it says $10 when you get there, you're gonna get your $10 sticky.

Now though, starting today I think, but maybe as early as Monday this week since I didn't drive since Sunday, this doesn't seem to work. When you're online on any platform, surge just won't update at all. I took 2 screenshots an hour and a half apart while I stayed online with Connect. The surge in them is identical.

I started a thread on this. I'm really interested to know if this is happening to everyone else or not. It's been a struggle to get information out of anyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happened to me the other day as well.. Surge Stated $7.50... drove right to the surge alert pop up (3 Blocks from my house) ... when I went online ... Your Next Trip $4.50 Surge.:unsure:

(Miami Beach, FL area)

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
You could always try search; surge not updating.

This issue is nothing new.
What seems to be new though, as of this week, is that it doesn't update at all while you are online.

Before this week, it was like this:

Online: frequent updates
Offline: infrequent updates / goes blank after a few minutes

Now it's like this:

Online: no updates at all
Offline: infrequent updates / goes blank after a few minutes

Some people have posted that they use a workaround where they close/reopen the app or force quit / reopen the app while online. This doesn't work for me because, on both my new and old phones, after the app reopens the surge goes blank. After a few minutes, the gray clouds come back but not the surge. Then the second I go offline, the surge is shown again.

Going offline and online constantly keeps the surge display fresh but it's pretty useless since you can't keep a sticky that way.

This has huge implications for me. Basically the surge display itself is useless. How are more people not complaining and up in arms about this?

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
When the app is slow to update the surge map drivers miss out on money. Surge can be $15 for some drivers and $3.75 for others at the same time. Does anyone here know a sure fire way to quickly refresh the map?

I have tried closing the map and gone on airplane mode to no avail so I figured I’d ask y’all if anything works for you.

Cheers!
Like I said....... This is nothing new.

·
Premium Member
10,571 Posts
I Had a problem this week surge was high.. say $20 my app says $5.75 i drove in the $20 area thur the area. around the area. 2 times both different. 7 year driver. its like a tease fake surge just to get drivers out to work. another way to thank us for being a valued partner.
got many other surges. but some are fake, you peak out at a certain # it can be $3
another ploy is you hit a nice surge say $15 and you get ride request for a ride. you forget to look for that surge in app next to pax info....its gone..
says $15 surge
mr smith 4.95 rating always screen shot this. i lost $20 last week. always screen shot the bigger ones. and if removed . cancel the ride. we agreed to take the ride with surge, why take it anyway..
this is been the first week of seeing this. every other time you will get the surge #$ 15- 20 etc . sure hope its a glitch. in my case both came at same location..FAKE

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
It's not that the surge is fake. It's that the surge display isn't updating while you are online. And while you're offline, the updates are slow as molasses as usual. You get, I think maybe 2 surge updates while you're offline spaced a couple minutes apart, and then finally your surge display goes blank until you go online.

The new "feature" as of this week is that the surge doesn't update at all while you're online. It used to update very frequently while you're online.

I hope everyone puts in a ticket with support for this. And if possible, go visit your local Hub to report it.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Try an older version of uber.apk

I have several times reverted back to a prior build because of update issues.

If it is the same issues, I would then say it's server side and you are screwed.

Might also be latency or your phone carrier next

·
Premium Member
10,571 Posts
its 100% fake same area 2 hours apart..decoy to get drivers out...i had time to try it all restart phone etc..1st time 2 in 1 day..

I hope everyone puts in a ticket with support for this.. support .. 7 year driver 21k plus trips ..ticket support hhahahahahahahahhahahahahha.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Try an older version of uber.apk

I have several times reverted back to a prior build because of update issues.

If it is the same issues, I would then say it's server side and you are screwed.

Might also be latency or your phone carrier next

I don't think it can be fixed with an older version. But please share if you find it can!

If you want to install an older version, the Aptoide app on the Play Store worked well for me in the past.

The reason I don't think it's app version specific is because I had an older phone that I hadn't used in a couple of weeks that never had the problem. It had an older version of the Driver app. When I tried going online and staying online with Connect on the older phone, using the older version of the driver app that never exhibited this new problem... it suddenly had the problem just like my new phone.

Also, iPhone users are reporting the online surge display freeze, so that's a totally different version of the app that also has the problem. I suspect it's not app version specific, and it affects all drivers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts