Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber's recommended route for picking up pax is sometimes wasteful of both time and gas. When that happens I use my own route.

The problem with using my own route is that sometimes Uber's systems don't recognize the fact that I've arrived at the pickup spot. Instead it directs me to go around the mulberry bush before it'll recognize me as being at the pickup spot.

If Uber's systems don't recognize me as being at the pickup spot the clock never starts which means no wait time pay and no cancellation fee.

It's happened a couple of times recently and it sucks.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Uber's recommended route for picking up pax is sometimes wasteful of both time and gas. When that happens I use my own route.

The problem with using my own route is that sometimes Uber's systems don't recognize the fact that I've arrived at the pickup spot. Instead it directs me to go around the mulberry bush before it'll recognize me as being at the pickup spot.

If Uber's systems don't recognize me as being at the pickup spot the clock never starts which means no wait time pay and no cancellation fee.

It's happened a couple of times recently and it sucks.
Correct. That is a real pain. Most times, it work out since the pax comes to me. On occasion I have had to reach out via phone call/text to let them know I have arrived. Overall, it is frustrating.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never seen that happen not Uber not Lyft, for me at the pin has always been at the pin means I've arrived.
It happened again last night. I was just up the street from the pickup spot and drove directly to the spot. Upon arrival I look at the app and it says I'm more than 1/2 mile away from the pickup. It directed me to drive a loop more than 1/2 long in order to arrive at the pickup spot.

I decided to cancel because the pax wasn't toes to the curb and the payout for the trip was on the low side.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It happened again last night. I was just up the street from the pickup spot and drove directly to the spot. Upon arrival I look at the app and it says I'm more than 1/2 mile away from the pickup. It directed me to drive a loop more than 1/2 long in order to arrive at the pickup spot.

I decided to cancel because the pax wasn't toes to the curb and the payout for the trip was on the low side.

Why would passenger be toes to the curb if you're own app says you're a half mile away, have you checked your location settings in your device cuz something's going on with your GPS and are the location setting of your device.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct. That is a real pain. Most times, it work out since the pax comes to me. On occasion I have had to reach out via phone call/text to let them know I have arrived. Overall, it is frustrating.
The other two times it happened the pax were toes to the curb so there was no problem. Last night the pax wasn't there and I wasn't going to wait for free for a ride I wasn't crazy about doing in the first place so I cancelled.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why would passenger be toes to the curb if you're own app says you're a half mile away, have you checked your location settings in your device cuz something's going on with your GPS and are the location setting of your device.
Because pax are supposed to ready to go when they hit the send button.

My GPS worked fine all night.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Because pax are supposed to ready to go when they hit the send button.

My GPS worked fine all night.
I don't know about all the other trips, this particular trip you said your GPS says you was a half a mile away but you went ahead and cancel cuz your passenger wasn't toes to the curb.

I do realize it's an issue for some trips when the passenger is not waiting for us outside but as a customer myself I think passengers are entitled to at least one minute, and there are situations where maybe a passenger can't make it to the Curb when they requested the trip I was in that situation for about a year I had a device but I had no cell phone service so I had to make a request using Wi-Fi inside my apartment and then walk outside and that took at least two or three minutes for me to make it from my apartment to the curb.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know about all the other trips, this particular trip you said your GPS says you was a half a mile away but you went ahead and cancel cuz your passenger wasn't toes to the curb.

I do realize it's an issue for some trips when the passenger is not waiting for us outside but as a customer myself I think passengers are entitled to at least one minute, and there are situations where maybe a passenger can't make it to the Curb when they requested the trip I was in that situation for about a year I had a device but I had no cell phone service so I had to make a request using Wi-Fi inside my apartment and then walk outside and that took at least two or three minutes for me to make it from my apartment to the curb.
It was UBER'S GPS that said I was 1/2 mile from he pickup spot. I didn't use my own GPS.

One minute should be the maximum free wait time. Beyond that the driver should be PAID, regardless of the reason for the wait.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It was UBER'S GPS that said I was 1/2 mile from he pickup spot. I didn't use my own GPS.

One minute should be the maximum free wait time. Beyond that the driver should be PAID, regardless of the reason for the wait.
I hate to sound like a hard ass, but most of you here on this site complain about stuff that you don't get and you don't receive things that doesn't exist in many other transportation services, when I drove taxi no one paid me because my customer wasn't at the curb, and if they didn't show up there was no cancellation fee, and I was expected by the dispatcher to wait at least 10 minutes, you guys have it easy doing Uber and Lyft and you don't even realize it, and yes I understand most of the pay sucks, but that's not the fault of the customer, some of these customers are paying through the nose for many of these trips even though we receive sh*t not the customer's fault.

·
Premium Member
11,083 Posts

I also get this fairly often, sometimes it's just the pin is on the other side of the street and they want me to drive 2 blocks, do a u turn and then come back. Alternatively they have a particular route in mind and when I go the shorter way, it wants me to wind around and come back their way. I find that in the vast majority of the cases if I sit there for 15 or 20 seconds it eventually figures out I'm there and starts the clock.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also get this fairly often, sometimes it's just the pin is on the other side of the street and they want me to drive 2 blocks, do a u turn and then come back. Alternatively they have a particular route in mind and when I go the shorter way, it wants me to wind around and come back their way. I find that in the vast majority of the cases if I sit there for 15 or 20 seconds it eventually figures out I'm there and starts the clock.
I waited about a minute before I cancelled. I'm pretty sure the pin was on the correct side of the street.

·
Premium Member
29,221 Posts
The other two times it happened the pax were toes to the curb so there was no problem. Last night the pax wasn't there and I wasn't going to wait for free for a ride I wasn't crazy about doing in the first place so I cancelled.
You're schlepping people again?

·
Premium Member
2019 Toyota Corolla
8,160 Posts
I hate to sound like a hard ass, but most of you here on this site complain about stuff that you don't get and you don't receive things that doesn't exist in many other transportation services, when I drove taxi no one paid me because my customer wasn't at the curb, and if they didn't show up there was no cancellation fee, and I was expected by the dispatcher to wait at least 10 minutes, you guys have it easy doing Uber and Lyft and you don't even realize it, and yes I understand most of the pay sucks, but that's not the fault of the customer, some of these customers are paying through the nose for many of these trips even though we receive sh*t not the customer's fault.
If you think the pax deserves at least a minute does that mean you wait 8 entire minutes after arriving before you noshow them?
How much we get paid isnt the customers
fault but it is our problem

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Maybe have never seen an issue cuz my devices actually have a real built-in gps, it doesn't need the GPS from the cell service.
Most cell phones have built-in gps.

Exactly how does a cell phone tower if only one in the area is going to triangulate your cell phone location?

Cell phone tower pinging does not happen like on CSI when using maps.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts