Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any Uber drivers in Lincoln, Nebraska, I have created a closed Facebook group that I would like to invite you to join. Search Facebook for "Lincoln, Nebraska Uber Drivers" then send a request to join. I'm hoping to open some dialogue between drivers in this new, small market in an effort to hopefully discuss and implement some strategies to help combat driver saturation.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
How do you feel about Uber's policy which lets drivers come from all over a state to drive a particular market on something as simple as a whim? This is a huge concern, cooperation isn't going to do much. Uber rewards drivers better for recruiting other drivers than they do to drive pax. With the miracle of social media, someone like Harry The Rideshare Shill is just as likely to make a buck with a referral bonus on your market as your own.

To do this, drivers might need to go to their local municipality to create permits or something. Uber isn't going to submit to a collar, the average Uber driver is in it for himself and assumes everyone is making bank or content with crumbs.

Is there a Lincoln subforum? If not, you might want to create such a forum and post it there. A moderator may need to create such a forum...... There could be one. They are at the bottom of the home page.
Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did just ask to have a Lincoln sub-forum created this morning so hopefully that will happen soon.

I agree that allowing "foreign" drivers to go to any market within the state is a concern. But my answer to combat driver over-saturation is to try and increase passengers. Lincoln is a young market for Uber and there is still a huge untapped market that either doesn't know about or understand Uber. As drivers, if we work together to employ some gorilla marketing to expand our presence, our passenger base will grow faster. Something so simple as drivers have inexpensive door magnets or window signs will show potential passengers how prevalent Uber/Lyft are. Working with local bars, restaurants and hotels to try and get them to offer up Uber/Lyft as alternative options to taxis is another way.

For the life of me I don't understand why Uber doesn't invest more in expanding the passenger base than they do the drivers. Passengers are the revenue source, not the drivers. In my mind, over-saturating markets with drivers is like a restaurant hiring a boatload of cooks. What's the point of having a bunch of cooks if they don't have any customers to cook for. The difference is that Uber doesn't have to pay their drivers when they don't have passengers to drive.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You might want to clarify your language. Your concern is marketing within the town of Lincoln.

Uber for the most part is very concerned about passenger base. Most drivers, in most markets are running pax at rates which barely allow them to break even. Tat is for the pax. The fact that they keep recruiting more and more drivers when there isn't even a customer base to support the number of drivers...... That too is for the passengers themselves. It is for their benefit, no matter the numbers.

Uber always makes their 20% whether or not you as a driver make money beyond expenses or not. Uber doesn't need to pay for the car, repair and fuel it. All the recruited drivers are for the convenience of the pax.

It will be very hard to get drivers to work together. Uber is not a self limiting kind of enterprise. Your fellow driver, in their system, to a certain degree is your competition. As for making magnetic signs...... Be careful what you wish for in terms of attention.

The Uber model has been to keep the drivers invisible to the general public and more importantly to possible regulation. Do you have real insurance for example? If you are in an accident, is there the chance that you might need to hide what you are doing from your personal insurance company for example? If o, you may want to rethink that strategy.

It sounds as if your market is not yet flooded. You simply don't have a passenger base. That is typically the easy part: finding a pax base. If things do take off, you need to be aware: Uber and its app is not a model of efficiency: The entire scheme relies on having the number of drivers equal to or exceeding demand. That is the model, it's why it works for passengers coming home form bars.

Generally, Uber's model, from the perspective of a driver is that this is going to be a very part time, casual affair for most people. It will be very tough for most people to do this exclusively.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. This is a very part time gig for me and I have no desire to do this full time regardless of how much money I could make. But what I would like to see is the passenger base expand to the point where there is enough demand that I could drive on week nights and have enough business that I wouldn't have to work the late night weekends so consistently. That may never happen in Lincoln because of the small size of the city (under 300,000).

I understand the importance of maintaining the balance between passengers and drivers and I get that Uber needs to be able to ensure that enough drivers are available so that passengers can reliably get a rid when they need it. But from what I've learned through reading stuff online, and what I've observed myself firsthand it seems that Uber's ONLY focus is on adding drivers en masse, to the extreme angst of drivers resulting in many of them walking away.

As for drivers cooperating, I get that we are in competition with each other and I'm not suggesting that we literally team up but I do think that knowing some of the other drivers and being able to communicate with them can be mutually beneficial for us all.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
"To the extreme angst of drivers" that'd be the reality in most established markets. You guys aren't established though you may never be. Your town's drivers may never have a honeymoon. That isn't the worst thing that could happen. You could have all the riders in the world and still be in the same hole you know, just for slighter different reasons.

Uber does a lot to promote their service and app to pax. It is often through electronic media. That makes a certain kind of sense, considering what they offer is simply an app.

I would assume that in most places, a typical college town, people are from all over the world, the app is so ubiquitous, there should always be plenty of people at hand who arrived with the app already on their phone. That is part of the appeal.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Unless radical changes are made, Ubers model is to always have more cars than is sustainable in terms of income. They simply aren't self limiting. No doubt you are aware of their tendency to lower rates once established in a market.

Your market may come around, you just need to plunk away. Also, this is mid summer and you are in a college town, that can be a very tough gig half the year. trust me on that one, I have done it for over fifteen years. Wait for the students to return see what happens. Hell you might notice more drivers.

Worse comes to worst: figure you aren't so likely to get hooked the way it is playing out that's all. Many drivers get a few months of pure gravy in their laps only to wind up where you are anyway. They work like nuts for six months to a year trying to get back to where they were when they started then give up. You wont need to do that. If it does pick up....... well, you will have gotten the shitty part out of the way first, that would be bucking the trend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts