Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I think I am at the point where I can post this type of message. My motivation in posting here is because I see false information posted up on this message board (and other message boards) all the time. I have driven nearly every week in NJ since September and know what the truth is and what fiction is on these boards. I know some others on here probably have a lot more rides and time I have in service, but I feel like I must come on here to tell everyone like it is.

First, here are my credentials,

I cropped out my name under driver in the above image.

I have been driving for Uber since September strictly part time, but I have picked up multiple rides each week. My best week was $1300 and my worst week was $0 when I simply didnt have the time to drive. Ive driven in CT, all over NJ to include EWR, Hoboken, and the shore area. Ive Ubered as far down as Atlantic City and as far up as Stamford CT.

Cops seem to be a big topic on here all the time. Ive been pulled over once at EWR out of the many many times Ive been there. I believe the deal is with the Port Authority cops is that if you are honest, happy, respectful and kind they let you go either with a warning or a BS ticket like the $54 obscure plates ticket. I dropped off a passenger in front of a cop and instantly the lights came on behind me in the terminal dropoff area. I told him exactly what I was doing and that I was an Uber driver. He asked if I had a fire extinguisher and first aid kit. I pulled out both the first aid kit and extinguisher. I also had all my paperwork right out there for him. He was an ass and gave me a big speech, but he came back with the $54 ticket and let me be on my way. I paid the ticket and Uber reimbursed me.

Newark Airport is a big part of my Uber income as I am there on a daily basis. One time I was there 8 times in a single day and it was right after Easter. The rule is you always want to watch out for cops. Never drop off or pickup right in front of them at all. The cops sit there all day long and they are experts at spotting you. However, do not let this scare you. Just make sure you have everything in order in terms of paperwork. Present yourself professionally and be upfront, honest. If you lie, if your paperwork is out of order and/or you are disrespectful they will give you the full line of tickets which Uber will pay, but it means a day in court and they can impound your car. Dont try the "I was dropping of my friend" routine otherwise for certain you are getting the tickets. You do have Uber paying and representing you keep in mind. As for the driver abstract, I know quite a few people who got the full range of tickets from the Port Authority but still got their TLC license when applied.

Besides that one time at Newark Airport, I have NOT had any other issues with cops at all despite so many rides. The cops are more concerned about drugs and drunks rather than you giving people a ride. If you are uncomfortable talking or dealing with cops this is clearly not for you. Professional drivers of any kind need to be comfortable talking to cops and with them around. If you are uncomfortable, you need to find something else to do.

My most difficult passengers have been drunks and drugged people. Also packs of high school teenagers who are not at all respectful in any form. The best passengers seem to be the ones going to airport. Usually business class type people, but also many travelers. When I see a suitcase, I am happy as the airport seems like the majority of my Uber income.

The drunks and drugged are also profitable passengers, but dont count on them giving you a good rating. The type of person who gets smashed at the bar or drugged up usually isnt that high class anyway. Its this type of person who will probably attack your rating. Ive monitored my rating on a daily basis. Usually when I drive the drunks for a crazy night is when I see my average really slipping.

I clean my car religiously and maintain a very clean passenger area. Never had anyone throw up in my car, although, there was this one guy down the shore who puked 3 times outside of my car before drop off...had to stop 3 times. Never had anyone hook up in the car. Had a few female passengers try to make moves on me. There was one older woman, not attractive, who was drunk and invading my passenger space. There was a younger, but beefier, looking woman who told me how good looking I was. There were two 21 year olds who kept calling my Uber phone number after the bar closed. In each instance, I thought it was trouble and kept it classy. At anytime someone can be recording you and it might be a trick. They might say you raped them. Etc. Keep it classy, the chicks are not worth it and especially those chicks who were hitting on me specifically.

Mon/Tues from 3am to 9am seem like the best times to drive for me as its lots of airport people. I mainly work out of Hoboken. The majority of drives I have done in Hoboken. However, I do go down to the shore on the weekends over the summer every now and then. I am not afraid of the cops in Hoboken and never been pulled over there.

Yes, driving does suck. It sucks big time, but what can you do when you need the cash. Just suck it up and make the best of it. There is nothing you can do.

Between 12-3am, you will get the drunks and drugged on most any day. Expect it. Usually between 3am to 6am might get a drunk, but they will have been a few hours since their last drink and sobered up a little. Drunks and drugs are profitable fare as they usually have a distance to travel.

I avoid Paterson and other sketchy areas. There is a Heroin problem in NJ...a very very bad Heroin problem. I would not risk it in sketch areas at any hour but especially during the dark. If you feel uncomfortable, dont take the risk. If your gut tells you something is wrong dont take the risk.

Keep in mind some passengers who make you wait a while might have bags they are bringing down. They might be going on a big trip to the airport. Usually airport travelers keep you waiting a bit. So dont ever just cancel on someone because they might be heading out to the airport and really need you at that time. A few things I do to make the passengers hurry up is I hit arrived a block away, I send a text message when I actually arrive and after 3 minutes I call them on the phone. I ask if they need help which is a hint that they should come down now. If I have to drive more than 5 minutes, I text my arrival time. Usually thats when Im in the suburbs. Nowadays I try to stick to Hoboken.

Another big plus about Hoboken is the gas station right before the bridge into Hoboken. Bathrooms and food. Delis in Hoboken and 3 Starbucks. Gas stations and food places by Holland Tunnel with bathrooms and food. Lots of facilities. Easy place to work and great views of the Hudson.

There are always fares in Hoboken. Mainly the kind where you make $3.20 per ride. However, 1 out of every 5-10 rides is the big money fare. Usually in the busy mornings, there is a big surge. When everyone Ubers in Hoboken, it always surges. 2.8x to LGA is like a $99 fare I believe. Best best time is when it rains and snows in Hoboken. Keep your eye on the weather. If its a rainy day, you need to be in Hoboken.

My setup is a Samsung Note 4 on windshield mount. I use WAZE all the time. If you dont use WAZE, use it. Even if the passenger says they will direct you, put it in anyway. I once had two women tell me they will direct me and then fall asleep in the back. Then when I went to far I woke them up and they were pissed. I ended up getting a 1 along with a complaint to Uber. I dont know if it was them, but my average on the website seemed to fall after the incident. Dont take any risks, know where you are going and make sure its in the system before you drive.

So now, I will entertain any questions you have. I know there are probably a couple guys on here who have driven far more than myself, but I am willing to post my real stats. You know Im the real deal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good testimony. I've been on since October, and am closer to full time and have yet to be stopped at EWR also. I've actually passed by a passenger for a pickkup because the police were too close and waited for them to walk down further to check out other cars. I just circled around one additional time.

You mentioned a lot of activity in Hoboken. Any problems there? I've never had an issue, but I credit this board to making me aware so that I can keep an eye out for police and am extra careful.

The only thing I disagree with is your opinion that driving sucks. I actually love it, and consider this the most stress free time of me life after having only 2 (higher paying) jobs in the previous 25 years. Good stuff though!

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have read in a local newspaper the "Uber Patrol" in Hoboken consists of 1 cop and a few of those Parking Utility Agents. The parking agents have a uniform, but not a cop uniform. They have the authority to issue out tickets. This "Uber Patrol" only takes place on Friday and Saturday night. Uber has pre-negotiated a plea bargain with the local courts where the fine is something like $200 per driver. They basically fine as many Uber drivers they can find on Friday and Saturday. They all go to court all at once with the Uber attorney, they get to the head of the line and stand in court together, say guilty and walk out with the $200 fine. The drivers pay it and Uber reimburses them through direct deposit. So the only bad thing about getting caught is its a waste of time and can be a frustrating experience. Cops in NJ are always asses adding insult to the ticket with speeches and attitude. Dont be afraid of the cops. Just act professionally, smile and have everything in order. Also, dont dress like a thug and keep your car clean. Dont carry in your car anything suspicious. Dont carry drugs, weapons...even that large flashlight or whatever will get the cops attention. Keep your car clean. Constantly look in the back after each ride to make sure your passengers didnt leave any contraband back there like an empty Bud can.

Dont dress in shorts as that leads to a bad rating sometimes. I once had a passenger in my car who downrated a driver for shorts. I wear the Dickies beige work slacks you can get at Walmart. They never wear out. I also wear these cheap Walmart polyester golf shirts. Polyester never wears out and dries up quickly when it gets wet from lets say sweat. Ive seen some drivers who wear what they want, but dont do it. Keep it professional, keep it classy. Otherwise bad ratings and/or cops giving you more of a problem because you look like a thug.

Closest I came to a problem in Hoboken is parking attendant who was hanging at the W hotel. As soon as he showed up, all the Uber drivers fled but he was able to catch the guy in the towncar. Another time a cop followed me in Hoboken. The trick is to immediately pull over into a LEGAL parking space. If you are in a LEGAL space, they cant give you any trouble. I pulled right over into the legal space once I knew I was getting tailed. He stopped for a moment and moved on. There was a car in front of me with NYC TLC plates who was also an Uber. He got nervous and pulled over into a no standing zone. Busted! Lights came on and he probably got the Uber ticket and the no standing zone ticket.

So once you know you are being tailed by cops simply find a LEGAL parking space and go there. If you continue, they will find a reason to pull you over such as "swerving in lane" or the multitude of BS excuses they commonly use. If you keep going, you will likely violate one of the many laws out there. Also its illegal in NJ to drop off in an ILLEGAL parking space like the no standing zone. You can only pick up and drop off from a legal space.

When I was down the shore at the Parker House, I did find a legal space. The cop came up and bothered me asking what I was doing. I told him parking. He couldnt do anything as I was in a legal space. He took a look to make sure I was in the lines of the parking space...moved on.

I have limo tinted back windows. When I am passing by cops, I open up all the windows. They usually take a look. Always smile when you pass the cops.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Where are you coming from!!!!!! Never read something like that. I drive since July last year and I have over 4k rides. I don t really pick up at EWR but now with this new price I am willing to risk it more. I live 15-20 min from EWR so it will be good for me BUT i don t want to deal with cops. If I get pulled over for Uber I will get at least another ticket which Uber will not pay for it. I know for sure. I can t go into details. I drop EWR regularly every week 10 times or more and never had any problem. A few times the cop was right there when I drop of and he just looked at me and said nothing. At the time I was thinking that drop off is ok but lately I heard from this forum that is NOT. Now I just take my phone from the window when I drop and just leave right after. I don t hang out at the terminals. My question for you is about EWR. How you pick up. What you do if there are cops exactly where your pax is? This will be very helpful for all of us. I am sure that some drivers are not happy at all when somebody like you is telling others how to make more money.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
First rule of Newark Airport is always be alert for the cops. The cops will come in three forms. The cops will sit in their blue/white patrol cars at the start or end of the terminal. I never see them in the middle. The other form of cop is the one in the black uniform on foot mingling about with the passengers usually standing right near the curb. The other type of cop is the one who is there for directing traffic like in a high vis vest. They will stand right in the middle of the roadway.

All I can say is just to do your best to avoid them. Be up front with the passenger and tell them about the cops ticketing Uber drivers. The cops have a strong sense for who is Uber and who is not. The cops are at the airport each and everyday looking at the cars so they know. Eventually, you will get stopped and be given a ticket. If something is wrong with your paperwork or driving record or anything else, get it fixed now. If you do enough rides, you will get pulled over for something. This is New Jersey. Everyone gets pulled over eventually.

So if you know the cops are going to get you for something else or you feel uncomfortable with them its time to find something else to do. No matter what you do, you will eventually get pulled over. Luckily, Uber has an attorney to defend the Uber related matters, but as for other matters, my advice is to get those matters fixed now.

The Port Authority cops do know about Uber. They will pull you over for both picking up and dropping off. They might pull you over at the tunnels. My buddy got pulled over at the Holland Tunnel quite randomly. I have been through those tunnels and over the bridge countless times. Never had that experience, but Ive heard about it. As I said above, you have to get comfortable with the fact that eventually you will get that ticket no matter what you do.

Also when going to the airport always ask the passenger what airline they are heading into and verify the terminal. Very bad if you have to loop around again. Always leads to a bad rating.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Now for everyone's favorite topic. Picking up at Newark Airport. I do two things. I either do the slow loop around the airport doing under the limit or I hang in the terminal. I hang in the middle as the cops usually hang at the ends. All those other cars hanging at the curb are Uber drivers too. Keep your eye on the mirror. The moment you see either the foot cops or the blue&white its time to leave now. Dont wait. Just start the slow crawl out. There are other places to hang right outside the airport on the shoulder of the highway on ramp to the airport, but if you hang there you might not get a ping. The drivers who get pings are the ones in the terminal. Slow looping around also wont get pings.

One tactic is to look at the EWR website. When are flights coming in? I can tell you that the business people you dropped off on Mon/Tues will come back on Thurs/Fri. Sometimes they might come back on Sunday. So most likely time for pickups is Thurs through Sunday.

If the cops catch you waiting, there are many tickets they can give you like no standing, etc. Usually they just get on the loud speaker and get nasty at you "No waiting here!" Dont wait for that to happen. Blue&White= go now, uniformed guy= go now See that guy directing traffic. Once you see him go.

As for dropping off or picking up when the cops are at the terminal, you want them to be as far away as possible. Min distance, at least 5 cars away but as far as possible. Do your business quick and go.

Now lets say you want to go to the airport. There are several hotels on and near the Jersey City river front...the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel. Those places are ideal in the early morning for going to the airport. There is sometimes a surge which makes it worth it, otherwise, the fare is something like 19 dollars gross.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I see the new rates have increased for EWR pickups. Still not worth the hassle. Meet the wrong officer and have your car towed. Friendly or not, if they want to break balls, they will.
As far as Hoboken, how do you make any money thee with soooooooooo many other drivers on every corner?

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, there are drivers all over the place in Hoboken, but there are always lots of UBERX fares. Only a few rare occasions have I sat for a while. Many of the fares are to the PATH which is the most common. The second most common fare is to the airport especially in the morning. Another common one is into the city However, there is always that one huge fare where you drive them back to their suburb home. One time this guy made me drive him to CT and another made me drive them down to Rutgers.

The key to Hoboken is surge times. If the weather gets extreme (rain, snow, HOT or COLD) there will be surge. That right there is the key to making money in Hoboken. Go during the times you know they will be taking the Uber which is morning and late afternoon weekdays.

The IDEAL time is early morning surge when someone MUST get to the airport and they cant wait for the surge to end. Ive caught quite a few 2-2.8x Uberx surge fares.

Now I see you have listed UBERSuv. I know nothing about what it takes to drive the SUV, but I do know there is no UberX in the suburbs...like Bergen County...late at night. Sometimes the SUV drivers will hang out there. So when the airport riders dont see an Uberx, they go for BLACK or the SUV.

Hoboken and Hudson County in general are the busiest places in NJ for Uber. Majority of NJ business.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Thank you! A lot of good tips. Been doing it PT for 6 months. A lot of drop-off at EWR and no issues.

Same thing with Hoboken. Drop off only. I turn off my app and go back to home base.

I don't do fri or sat nights.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The NJ Shore is very profitable during the summer. I made $550 in one weekend. Here is the plan for NJ shore during the summer:

#1) If you dont have a place to stay, sleep in the service area on the parkway. Hotels are expensive. Safest place to catch zzzs is the parkway service area. Pop a melatonin and crash out in the back. I know sounds nasty, but we all do what we have to do. If I have to sleep in the car to make some cash, so be it.

#2) The shore strategy goes like this. First train into Pt Pleasant or Bayhead train station is around 9:20am. Check the schedule. Get there at 9:20am on Friday. Your main hangout will be the Bayhead train station. There are some fast food places and a cheap gas station around the corner. Wherever you end up, start driving back to the train station while online. The train comes about every hour or so and there is ALWAYS someone who needs an Uber from the train.

#3) Another good place to hang out is around Belmar area at any time.

#4) The shore has a LOT more drugs and drunks than North Jersey. I mean a lot more. Make sure to have a small pail or garbage can with you while driving. Make sure to have garbage bags doubled up. Expect really drunk passengers. People passing out. Make sure the address is entered into the GPS before you drive in the event they pass out.

#5) Parker House- Always lots of cops at the Parker House. This is a common drop off an pickup. The cops at the Parker House love to bother you.

#6) Seaside Heights/HemingWay Cafe- The cops in Seaside Heights will not bother you unless you give them reason. Always lots of sketchy passengers and intoxicated in Seaside, but very profitable. There is a place called Hemingway Cafe. Start hanging out right in front of Hemingways at 11pm. When you drop someone off, keep it online but drive right back there. I usually get 3-4 pickups from Hemingways. I wait right in front of the bar in the metered parking lot. Again, beware of sketchiness. It will be noisy, loud and lots of sketch people, but the fares out of Seaside are very good. The cops LOVE Uber there because you are the one taking the drunks and drugs away from them. Less for them to deal with. Absolutely DO NOT go over 25 mph in Seaside or you will give them reason. Radar running constantly in the patrol cars.

#7) You have three speed limits at the shore which are 25, 35 and 45. There are cops on every corner with radar. If it says 25, you do 25 and not 1 over. If it says 35, you do 30. If it says 45, you do 40. Keep alert and watch the signs. The cops will pull you over should you go just 1 over. Dont test it out.

#8) Lavallette and other places around there- People love to get out of those places especially when going to the bars. Gross fares are usually 30+ dollars out of those places.

#9) Ive found Belmar/Pt Pleasant area to be busier than most other places. Always fares over there. Pt Pleasant seems like a classier place than Seaside Heights. Pt Pleasant seems like a place to take your family. Seaside Heights is a complete drug filled dive.

#10) The cops are your friends. Since they so very liberally, VERY LIBERALLY, pull people over down there they keep UberX running strong. All the drunks routinely use UberX. Get used to VERY DRUNK people and VERY OBNOXIOUS behavior, but the fare will end up being like an airport fare in any event. Just be strong and dont take it personal.

#11) So you work from 9am starting at the train station until 2-3am. I would say around 2am call it quits and go where you need to sleep. For those who dont have a place, head to the service area and sleep in the car. Again, not ideal, but we all do what we have to do. A very busy weekend, the entire weekend from Fri to Sun will make you over 500 at the least in NET fares.

#12) Sunday is very busy. You might get someone who wants to go back to their north jersey home. Thats a $125+ fare.

13) If a group of people get in and ask where the women are at, I told you the two main places which are the Parker House in Sea Girt and Hemingways in Seaside Heights. Those are the best places for single guys. Keep this in mind because someone is going to ask. A few times I was really tempted to leave the car parked and go into Hemingways myself. After 10pm brings a lot of young women.

14) My problem is because of time constraints I cant do the friday morning to sunday evening stint. However, if you do it and its very busy, I can imagine a 1 grand weekend. So far Ive missed key times and been only able to get as much as $550 NET fares.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The NJ Shore is very profitable during the summer. I made $550 in one weekend. Here is the plan for NJ shore during the summer:

#1) If you dont have a place to stay, sleep in the service area on the parkway. Hotels are expensive. Safest place to catch zzzs is the parkway service area. Pop a melatonin and crash out in the back. I know sounds nasty, but we all do what we have to do. If I have to sleep in the car to make some cash, so be it.

#2) The shore strategy goes like this. First train into Pt Pleasant or Bayhead train station is around 9:20am. Check the schedule. Get there at 9:20am on Friday. Your main hangout will be the Bayhead train station. There are some fast food places and a cheap gas station around the corner. Wherever you end up, start driving back to the train station while online. The train comes about every hour or so and there is ALWAYS someone who needs an Uber from the train.

#3) Another good place to hang out is around Belmar area at any time.

#4) The shore has a LOT more drugs and drunks than North Jersey. I mean a lot more. Make sure to have a small pail or garbage can with you while driving. Make sure to have garbage bags doubled up. Expect really drunk passengers. People passing out. Make sure the address is entered into the GPS before you drive in the event they pass out.

#5) Parker House- Always lots of cops at the Parker House. This is a common drop off an pickup. The cops at the Parker House love to bother you.

#6) Seaside Heights/HemingWay Cafe- The cops in Seaside Heights will not bother you unless you give them reason. Always lots of sketchy passengers and intoxicated in Seaside, but very profitable. There is a place called Hemingway Cafe. Start hanging out right in front of Hemingways at 11pm. When you drop someone off, keep it online but drive right back there. I usually get 3-4 pickups from Hemingways. I wait right in front of the bar in the metered parking lot. Again, beware of sketchiness. It will be noisy, loud and lots of sketch people, but the fares out of Seaside are very good. The cops LOVE Uber there because you are the one taking the drunks and drugs away from them. Less for them to deal with.

#7) You have three speed limits at the shore which are 25, 35 and 45. There are cops on every corner with radar. If it says 25, you do 25 and not 1 over. If it says 35, you do 30. If it says 45, you do 40. Keep alert and watch the signs. The cops will pull you over should you go just 1 over. Dont test it out.

#8) Lavallette and other places around there- People love to get out of those places especially when going to the bars. Gross fares are usually 30+ dollars out of those places.

#9) Ive found Belmar/Pt Pleasant area to be busier than most other places. Always fares over there. Pt Pleasant seems like a classier place than Seaside Heights. Pt Pleasant seems like a place to take your family. Seaside Heights is a complete drug filled dive.

#10) The cops are your friends. Since they so very liberally, VERY LIBERALLY, pull people over down there they keep UberX running strong. All the drunks routinely use UberX. Get used to VERY DRUNK people and VERY OBNOXIOUS behavior, but the fare will end up being like an airport fare in any event. Just be strong and dont take it personal.

#11) So you work from 9am starting at the train station until 2-3am. I would say around 2am call it quits and go where you need to sleep. For those who dont have a place, head to the service area and sleep in the car. Again, not ideal, but we all do what we have to do. A very busy weekend, the entire weekend from Fri to Sun will make you over 500 at the least in NET fares.

#12) Sunday is very busy. You might get someone who wants to go back to their north jersey home. Thats a $125+ fare.
Daum! That's like a Jets playbook for the shore! Lol

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hello,

I think I am at the point where I can post this type of message. My motivation in posting here is because I see false information posted up on this message board (and other message boards) all the time. I have driven nearly every week in NJ since September and know what the truth is and what fiction is on these boards. I know some others on here probably have a lot more rides and time I have in service, but I feel like I must come on here to tell everyone like it is.

First, here are my credentials,

I cropped out my name under driver in the above image.

I have been driving for Uber since September strictly part time, but I have picked up multiple rides each week. My best week was $1300 and my worst week was $0 when I simply didnt have the time to drive. Ive driven in CT, all over NJ to include EWR, Hoboken, and the shore area. Ive Ubered as far down as Atlantic City and as far up as Stamford CT.

Cops seem to be a big topic on here all the time. Ive been pulled over once at EWR out of the many many times Ive been there. I believe the deal is with the Port Authority cops is that if you are honest, happy, respectful and kind they let you go either with a warning or a BS ticket like the $54 obscure plates ticket. I dropped off a passenger in front of a cop and instantly the lights came on behind me in the terminal dropoff area. I told him exactly what I was doing and that I was an Uber driver. He asked if I had a fire extinguisher and first aid kit. I pulled out both the first aid kit and extinguisher. I also had all my paperwork right out there for him. He was an ass and gave me a big speech, but he came back with the $54 ticket and let me be on my way. I paid the ticket and Uber reimbursed me.

Newark Airport is a big part of my Uber income as I am there on a daily basis. One time I was there 8 times in a single day and it was right after Easter. The rule is you always want to watch out for cops. Never drop off or pickup right in front of them at all. The cops sit there all day long and they are experts at spotting you. However, do not let this scare you. Just make sure you have everything in order in terms of paperwork. Present yourself professionally and be upfront, honest. If you lie, if your paperwork is out of order and/or you are disrespectful they will give you the full line of tickets which Uber will pay, but it means a day in court and they can impound your car. Dont try the "I was dropping of my friend" routine otherwise for certain you are getting the tickets. You do have Uber paying and representing you keep in mind. As for the driver abstract, I know quite a few people who got the full range of tickets from the Port Authority but still got their TLC license when applied.

Besides that one time at Newark Airport, I have NOT had any other issues with cops at all despite so many rides. The cops are more concerned about drugs and drunks rather than you giving people a ride. If you are uncomfortable talking or dealing with cops this is clearly not for you. Professional drivers of any kind need to be comfortable talking to cops and with them around. If you are uncomfortable, you need to find something else to do.

My most difficult passengers have been drunks and drugged people. Also packs of high school teenagers who are not at all respectful in any form. The best passengers seem to be the ones going to airport. Usually business class type people, but also many travelers. When I see a suitcase, I am happy as the airport seems like the majority of my Uber income.

The drunks and drugged are also profitable passengers, but dont count on them giving you a good rating. The type of person who gets smashed at the bar or drugged up usually isnt that high class anyway. Its this type of person who will probably attack your rating. Ive monitored my rating on a daily basis. Usually when I drive the drunks for a crazy night is when I see my average really slipping.

I clean my car religiously and maintain a very clean passenger area. Never had anyone throw up in my car, although, there was this one guy down the shore who puked 3 times outside of my car before drop off...had to stop 3 times. Never had anyone hook up in the car. Had a few female passengers try to make moves on me. There was one older woman, not attractive, who was drunk and invading my passenger space. There was a younger, but beefier, looking woman who told me how good looking I was. There were two 21 year olds who kept calling my Uber phone number after the bar closed. In each instance, I thought it was trouble and kept it classy. At anytime someone can be recording you and it might be a trick. They might say you raped them. Etc. Keep it classy, the chicks are not worth it and especially those chicks who were hitting on me specifically.

Mon/Tues from 3am to 9am seem like the best times to drive for me as its lots of airport people. I mainly work out of Hoboken. The majority of drives I have done in Hoboken. However, I do go down to the shore on the weekends over the summer every now and then. I am not afraid of the cops in Hoboken and never been pulled over there.

Yes, driving does suck. It sucks big time, but what can you do when you need the cash. Just suck it up and make the best of it. There is nothing you can do.

Between 12-3am, you will get the drunks and drugged on most any day. Expect it. Usually between 3am to 6am might get a drunk, but they will have been a few hours since their last drink and sobered up a little. Drunks and drugs are profitable fare as they usually have a distance to travel.

I avoid Paterson and other sketchy areas. There is a Heroin problem in NJ...a very very bad Heroin problem. I would not risk it in sketch areas at any hour but especially during the dark. If you feel uncomfortable, dont take the risk. If your gut tells you something is wrong dont take the risk.

Keep in mind some passengers who make you wait a while might have bags they are bringing down. They might be going on a big trip to the airport. Usually airport travelers keep you waiting a bit. So dont ever just cancel on someone because they might be heading out to the airport and really need you at that time. A few things I do to make the passengers hurry up is I hit arrived a block away, I send a text message when I actually arrive and after 3 minutes I call them on the phone. I ask if they need help which is a hint that they should come down now. If I have to drive more than 5 minutes, I text my arrival time. Usually thats when Im in the suburbs. Nowadays I try to stick to Hoboken.

Another big plus about Hoboken is the gas station right before the bridge into Hoboken. Bathrooms and food. Delis in Hoboken and 3 Starbucks. Gas stations and food places by Holland Tunnel with bathrooms and food. Lots of facilities. Easy place to work and great views of the Hudson.

There are always fares in Hoboken. Mainly the kind where you make $3.20 per ride. However, 1 out of every 5-10 rides is the big money fare. Usually in the busy mornings, there is a big surge. When everyone Ubers in Hoboken, it always surges. 2.8x to LGA is like a $99 fare I believe. Best best time is when it rains and snows in Hoboken. Keep your eye on the weather. If its a rainy day, you need to be in Hoboken.

My setup is a Samsung Note 4 on windshield mount. I use WAZE all the time. If you dont use WAZE, use it. Even if the passenger says they will direct you, put it in anyway. I once had two women tell me they will direct me and then fall asleep in the back. Then when I went to far I woke them up and they were pissed. I ended up getting a 1 think along with a complaint to Uber. I dont know if it was them, but my average on the website seemed to fall after the incident. Dont take any risks, know where you are going and make sure its in the system before you drive.

So now, I will entertain any questions you have. I know there are probably a couple guys on here who have driven far more than myself, but I am willing to post my real stats. You know Im the real deal.
Before I ask you a question, here is the summary.
Once I got ping from terminal A. I picked up the pax, no issues, then leaving the curb with pax in the back seat, one foot cop showed up at the end of the terminal. He was not there, when I picked up the Pax, but he might took the stairs/elevator from the inside of the terminal (most probably he was on level two), now standing in the middle of the road on level 3. I tried not to look at him and just mind my business but he used his hand and asked me to pull over (busted). He gave me 4 tickets, (two waived and two downgraded with Uber attorney's help).
I stopped going to airport ever since. Now I got itch again. what do you think? In my mind I had no way to get out of that situation. I was at the wrong spot at the wrong time. Any solution, I am uberX?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Good info guys, ive been doing uber about 3 months PT, and so far no issues going to Ewr, JFK, or LGA.
One issue that I still don't get is, what is the rating number to be deactvated from Uber? I Google it and it always comes comes back with 4.6 and you are out, I have a sign in the back seat that says "uber will terminate any driver with 4.6 rating" however I have had 2 pax that have seen drivers with 4.5 and 3 star rating, I would really love to know what's the deal here, btw this sign works, last week I had 54 5stars out of 55 rides.
The sign says this.
UBER RATING POLICY
FOR DRIVERS
5* stars is a pass
4* or less is a fail
Please keep in mind that uber will terminate a driver with a 4.6 rating.
Please rate appropriately.
FOR PASSENGERS
Yes! passengers get rated too, just ask me about yours and I'll happily tell you.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Have a wonderful day.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
About the airport. I know the majority of time people get in the back. If you want to live at Newark Airport picking people up with NJ plates (versus the NY TLC Plates which will make you invisible to the cops) you are going to have to change a few things. You will need the passenger to be up in the front with you. Its a change of plan, but just explain about the cops or dont even explain. When you see the passenger, immediately get out. Help them with their stuff to the trunk. When thats done, open the front door and have the front seat pushed back. Smile and motion them into the front seat. Do it enough times and it becomes natural.

LIMO tint the back window. All of my windows in the back are limo tinted, but its hard at times to drive with it so my suggestion is to limo tint the back window at the least. That way the cop cant just look in. I had mine done in Brooklyn at Proline Car Stereo on Utica.

Oh yeah, if you want to go NYC TLC the main aggravating part is the insurance which is about 400 per month and you need to pay six months ahead is what I hear. Also 500 for the reg, 500 for the license and you have to live under a new set of rules. If anyone calls in your plate to the NYC TLC, you will get a fine. You are guilty until proven innocent with them. If I were to call it in and made the whole thing up, you are fined. If you want to get a Suburban, the insurance cost is double. Everything is double with the SUV. Tires, gas costs, etc.

If the Port Authority cops see your Uber phone or passengers in the back, they know right away what your up to without a doubt.

What is the best car to have for UberX? A lot of people use whatever car they can in Jersey. However, the best most ideal car is the Prius V or the Camry Hybrid. Get it in Black because if it gets damaged its easier for the auto body to work with Black. Get the base wheels which is the Camry Hybrid LE or the lesser versions of the Prius V. The smaller wheels have better traction in rain/snow, use cheaper tires, more comfortable ride and use less gas. Camry has nice acceleration, but can only fit 2 large suitcases and 2 carryons in the back...not much else. No room for your stuff. The Prius V has a busier ride and goes 0 to 60 in 10 seconds, but it has about 4 mpg better than Camry Hybrid LE and it does have more room. The backseat has a ton of room and the back seat is able to move forward and backward to provide more/less room in the cargo area. All of the Toyota Hybrid vehicles last a LOT longer than regular gas cars.

One more point is to keep your car empty while Ubering. Do you have a toolkit or some road triangles? Leave those at home. You will need that room as a few times a week someone is going to use every bit of space you have in the car. Those triangles will get in the way. Quite a few times there was so much luggage it got put on top of the passengers in the back with both the front seat and the trunk loaded. Looked like I was moving.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You do not get paid to wait in traffic, but you get paid to drive miles. Keep that in your head. Therefore, it does not pay to drive in rush hour at all. So keep that in mind.

The absolute best time to Uber is from 7pm to 7am in the morning each and every day. From 7pm to 3am, you get the profitable dinner people, bar people and drunks. From 3am to 7pm you get the airport rides. Lets say you decided to Uber from 7am to 7pm, what do you get? You get traffic and people wanting you to take them to work through the rush hour traffic.

Many people here have been on the type of ride where they are waiting it out in traffic with the passenger. Your passenger decided to go to work using the Uber because they want you to deal with traffic. Nope, dont do this.

Night-time driving is far more profitable than day time driving and it uses less gas. It takes some discipline and it can be hard not getting much sleep, but its far more profitable.

Always, I repeat always, use WAZE. If you are not using WAZE, you are only hurting yourself.

On Friday, do not Uber between 12pm and 6:30pm. Forget it, not worth it. Just hit lots of traffic and you dont get paid to wait. Use those rush hour times to sleep and kick back.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That was a long time ago and I cant remember to be honest. However, what I do know is Uber offers sweeteners all the way through. For example, I remember getting emails such as if I completed one trip in the next hour I would get such and such dollars. etc. In any event, its not Bill Gates money, but just more cash than you had before.

I have an idea about the cops. I am just renewing the reg on my vehicle. Im thinking about going NY TLC, but then I would get knocked with the 400 dollar a month insurance. Right now I pay about $150 a month. Plus the NY vehicle reg is $500 a year I believe. So if you get the NY TLC you certainly must Uber just about everyday to make the cash back. Plus with NYC TLC plates you cant speed or pull risk manuevers. If someone gets pissed at you with those plates on and they call TLC, the TLC will probably fine you at least $150 or you may even have to attend a TLC hearing. Also in NY, the rates are higher, but a lot of the fares are "can you take me up 5 streets" and there are literally Ubers on every block in NYC. So I may or may not go that way. This week, for example, I havent Ubered much because I just needed a break and I have other responsibilities...i.e. my other gig and family.

What I did do is pay an extra 50 dollars to get the Law Enforcement Memorial plates. What happens is part of the cash goes to a scholarship fund for kids of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.

These plates wont guarantee anything when pulled over, but I think it couldnt make the situation worse. Obviously, you made your donation and it shows by having that plate. That cant hurt. You need every advantage possible when out there.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Good info guys, ive been doing uber about 3 months PT, and so far no issues going to Ewr, JFK, or LGA.
One issue that I still don't get is, what is the rating number to be deactvated from Uber? I Google it and it always comes comes back with 4.6 and you are out, I have a sign in the back seat that says "uber will terminate any driver with 4.6 rating" however I have had 2 pax that have seen drivers with 4.5 and 3 star rating, I would really love to know what's the deal here, btw this sign works, last week I had 54 5stars out of 55 rides.
The sign says this.
UBER RATING POLICY
FOR DRIVERS
5* stars is a pass
4* or less is a fail
Please keep in mind that uber will terminate a driver with a 4.6 rating.
Please rate appropriately.
FOR PASSENGERS
Yes! passengers get rated too, just ask me about yours and I'll happily tell you.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Have a wonderful day.
Jesus, this is such a bad idea.

I talk to my passengers about ratings but no matter what, ******** will ding you

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.