Uber Drivers Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,809 Posts
I see people using Synthetics made for 15-25K miles and still changing their oil every 5K miles. I never understood that.
I've had several tell me, " It makes me feel good ." Old ways die hard. Then I show them how they can save money.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Here's the thing ...when your engines in good Nick and you drive well there is probably not much diff cause U are not making a lot of carbon and sludge

However I had a Hyundai accent with a fully sludged motor bottom and top and tried EVERYTHING on it from diesel to ATF to Kero to acetone to all the usual engine oil treatments

In between I was taking off the rocker and sump and photographing how much sludge was removed

Guess what worked !

Full synthetic oil .. followed by acetone(harsh not recommended) then ATP

dropped the sludge off the top and bottom

So FULL synthetic oil ABSOLUTELY WILL remove baked on sludge and carbon

Semi synthetic doesn't work not do any of the oil flush additives including liquid moly...what they do is just drop out the surface carbon...thats not necessarily a good thing as it may be helping your compression...they did nothing to the baked on burnt sludge all over the top and bottom of the engine

On expensive vs cheaper oils . I would say it depends on how hard you drive and how old the motor is..

The more important thing is how often U change the oil as even cheap oil has good protection for 5000km

I had to change the oil every 3 to 5000 km while desludging and the engine is over 215,000 kmh but runs like new despite being badly sludged and overheating for 100,000 km of that...so I think that the more often you change is probably more important than all the marketing around the oils

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Here's the thing ...when your engines in good Nick and you drive well there is probably not much diff cause U are not making a lot of carbon and sludge

However I had a Hyundai accent with a fully sludged motor bottom and top and tried EVERYTHING on it from diesel to ATF to Kero to acetone to all the usual engine oil treatments

In between I was taking off the rocker and sump and photographing how much sludge was removed

Guess what worked !

Full synthetic oil .. followed by acetone(harsh not recommended) then ATP

dropped the sludge off the top and bottom

So FULL synthetic oil ABSOLUTELY WILL remove baked on sludge and carbon

Semi synthetic doesn't work not do any of the oil flush additives including liquid moly...what they do is just drop out the surface carbon...thats not necessarily a good thing as it may be helping your compression...they did nothing to the baked on burnt sludge all over the top and bottom of the engine

On expensive vs cheaper oils . I would say it depends on how hard you drive and how old the motor is..

The more important thing is how often U change the oil as even cheap oil has good protection for 5000km

I had to change the oil every 3 to 5000 km while desludging and the engine is over 215,000 kmh but runs like new despite being badly sludged and overheating for 100,000 km of that...so I think that the more often you change is probably more important than all the marketing around the oils
You're taking the message completely wrong

41 - 45 of 45 Posts