Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I went into Goodyear for my free tire rotation and an oil change. Some Alpha Male jackwagon behind the counter was trying to meet his upselling quota by convincing me I needed an $80 synthetic oil change. I drive a 2008 SUV with 170k on the odometer. Not a chance in Hell I'm wasting $80 on fancy oil that doesn't last any longer than the $30 oil change I get from the mom-and-pop place that uses regular Valvoline.

·
Premium Member
9,809 Posts
What I was trying to say is that Honda's oil change interval is much SHORTER than the Toyotas and the Ford Explorer I had previously.

Even the Celica I bought in 1985 had a recommended interval of 7,500 miles. I'm getting less than 5,000 miles with my two Acuras, when I follow their recommendation. Abd it's not because of short trips from driving for Uber. This issue was happening before I started during for Uber.
Toyota had issues with Amsoil's 25,000 mile drain interval. As they were / are on the 3,000 mile drain interval band wagon back then. Why Toyota's Amsoil oil filters part #'s have 15K as part of that number. All others start with EAO-..

My Charger mail light comes on about 7-8K. I just over ride it and go the full 25K. By the third time, ok, it's times. But I write the mileage on the door sticker.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Toyota had issues with Amsoil's 25,000 mile drain interval. As they were / are on the 3,000 mile drain interval band wagon back then. Why Toyota's Amsoil oil filters part #'s have 15K as part of that number. All others start with EAO-..

My Charger mail light comes on about 7-8K. I just over ride it and go the full 25K. By the third time, ok, it's times. But I write the mileage on the door sticker.
The 25,000 mile oil interval has been debunked over and over again. Amsoil has a great marketing system in place, but reinventing oil they have not. They are very careful and clever with their wording.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
The 25,000 mile oil interval has been debunked over and over again. Amsoil has a great marketing system in place, but reinventing oil they have not. They are very careful and clever with their wording.
25k / 1 Year / 700 hours is the spec quoted on their technical bulletin.

The 700 hour limit is of most concern to uber drivers but if you install one of their engine bypass filters then oil life is extended as far as the oil remains alkaline.

New Sig Series has a PH of 11 because of the additive package in their base oil and slowly becomes degraded over time.

I plan to have one such filter installed and have the oil tested every 5k miles to see how long I can safely go without a change.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Newer VWs take "third generation" oil ... 508 00 / 509 00 0w-20 ... good for 5000 miles. Oil has a green color so as the dealers know the right stuff is in there...

Anything else screws up the emissions...
At o Reilly I saw a pretty good assortment of foreign car oils.... wouldn't hurt to check

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What I was trying to say is that Honda's oil change interval is much SHORTER than the Toyotas and the Ford Explorer I had previously.

Even the Celica I bought in 1985 had a recommended interval of 7,500 miles. I'm getting less than 5,000 miles with my two Acuras, when I follow their recommendation. Abd it's not because of short trips from driving for Uber. This issue was happening before I started during for Uber.
A lot of newer Hondas has problems with oil dilution... not saying this is the reason but it might be a factor

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Companies like amsoil have done a great job of giving incentives to their reps who never really know anything shy of the garbage amsoil tells them......

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
25k / 1 Year / 700 hours is the spec quoted on their technical bulletin.

The 700 hour limit is of most concern to uber drivers but if you install one of their engine bypass filters then oil life is extended as far as the oil remains alkaline.

New Sig Series has a PH of 11 because of the additive package in their base oil and slowly becomes degraded over time.

I plan to have one such filter installed and have the oil tested every 5k miles to see how long I can safely go without a change.

Amsoil bypass filters and kits are not available for passenger vehicles. Amsoil's technical bulletins are cleverly written, as is the change interval specs.. Synthetics are better then conventional, that has been established, but Amsoil is marketing, not science ...

·
Premium Member
73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Proof is in the tests ....amsoil and royal purple are no better than their counter parts at preventing wear
Note the the lab that tests oil samples provided the information
But Mobil 1 is a superior oil to all. Mobil Proving Ground tests were done in 1972-1974, 500k miles only changing the filter every 10K miles and the oil at 30K, showed little to no wear on 20 different vehicles (Mopar, Ford, GM and Jeep) under driving conditions throughout the USA and Canada. No engine failures on any test vehicles. Mobil 1 has been improved greatly since then and is worth every penny it costs, unless your car leaks oil and you can not be bothered to fix it properly, that would be on you, not the oil...

·
Premium Member
9,809 Posts
Amsoil bypass filters and kits are not available for passenger vehicles. Amsoil's technical bulletins are cleverly written, as is the change interval specs.. Synthetics are better then conventional, that has been established, but Amsoil is marketing, not science ...
With today's cars , usually there is no place to but a By-pass filter. With my 88 and 89 Accords I had to make a bracket for it. I've also put a Dual Mount system on a VW bug and a 93 Toyota V6 PU. On the 2013 Charger I found I could remove the lower part of the air filter box and use two of three blot holes for an older single mount unit I kept from the Accord. If there is a will, there is usually a way.
Problem I have is Amsoil made the mounting bracket all fancy driving the cost of them way up. Even the swival bolt for the return line into / though the oil cap was 35$ last I checked when they use to like 10 or 15$.

·
5,880 Posts
Supertech Full Synthetic 5w30
20k mile formula.
Over 250k miles later, no issues.
But hey, if others want to pay more for the name brands, be my guest!
How often are you changing the oil? Are you waiting the 20K miles or doing it sooner?

I see people using Synthetics made for 15-25K miles and still changing their oil every 5K miles. I never understood that.

Reactions: SHalester
21 - 40 of 45 Posts