Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too much time sitting down may spell bad news for your health.http://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/13804-sedentary-time-puts-bus-drivers-at-risk-for-health-problems-study

Driving is a sedentary activity. Long term increased sedentary time may result in increased risk of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and other health problems.

Uber does not warn drivers of this, nor do they provide any health related benefits, preventative or otherwise. We are on our own.

Many side effects have been documented from extensive driving over a long period of time (2-3 months). Some are related to any unconscious muscular tension while driving putting abnormal stress on specific parts of the body. To combat this (1) be aware of any muscle tension while driving and relax that part of the body. (2) driving is sedentary so between trips, regularly stop, get out of the car and do 5-10 minutes of exercise.

Your body will thank you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great advice!

I play disc golf as much as possible. I keep a bag of discs in my car because my fares are always taking me close to a disc golf course. My breaks are a bite to eat then a round of golf.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I try to take a break every 2-3 hours for 5-10 minutes. Walk for a bit and stretch. My 1st day driving I didn't even think to get out rest. Was sitting and driving for 6 straight hours. When I got home and got out of the car my legs felt like jello and I almost fell in the garage. I learned quick!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I feel bad for long haul truck drivers. I sometimes start my day at gym with app on until a request comes. My right leg has gone numb from braking & accelerating. Gotta' take breaks.

·
Premium Member
11,623 Posts
With my "old man bladder", taking breaks is usually not a problem!
LOL...I hear ya!

Needing a break is not uncommon. Actually taking one is more difficult, especially when you're getting pounded with stacked pings. I'm finally getting better at clicking "No more requests" when the bladder starts talking to the brain.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Say "hello" to whatever gym has lots of branches in your town. Personally, I like Planet Fitness.

After the AM rush, I log off and visit the gym. Some treadmill time, a few minutes in the massage chair, and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Say "hello" to whatever gym has lots of branches in your town. Personally, I like Planet Fitness...
Planet Fitness is the cheapest in my area. It's great if you do not need costly frills like a swimming pool. Plus some locations are open 24-hours weekdays so that those of us with odd schedules may take full advantage.

With the basic plan, for less than an hour's earnings for most of us, guard yourself from becoming overweight along with the associated dangers of heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, and more.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
When caught in traffic jams, open the sunroof and stand on the console. You get a good view of traffic and it's a nice way to get away from pax for a few minutes. Plus, you can update them on the weather.

·
Premium Member
11,623 Posts
When caught in traffic jams, open the sunroof and stand on the console. You get a good view of traffic and it's a nice way to get away from pax for a few minutes. Plus, you can update them on the weather.
And if you go back and forth from the driver's seat to the sunroof, you get a lower body workout.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts