Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have left Uber a long time ago, however the office grapevine never leaves you (especially at Uber). We ex-Ubers have access to a room on Hipchat. Uber employees are preparing for a "Black Weekend" where they plan on deactivating as many drivers as necessary in order to get anyone who strikes off the platform, permanently. Lyft is also possibly collaborating with Uber to blacklist striking drivers.

Uber management and employees think that ungrateful drivers are a liability and should not drive for Uber. They are seeing this strike as an opportunity to weed out as many drivers as they need to.

Here are changes to the partner apps in 3.57:

* Twilio voice recording has been activated. All calls are now retained, and Uber is using the Twilio speech-to-text transcript feature to detect any mentions of "strike", "uber freedom", etc. Matching snippets are sent to a CSR for an immediate review. Uber is bringing on board additional CSRs (through ZeroChaos) to handle "Black Weekend". Most aren't told they're working for uber.

* Texting a driver with the word "strike" will automatically reject the message (it won't be relayed to the driver) and lock your abilities to call/text any driver until a Uber CSR reviews your texts.

* The rider and partner app now uploads the IMEI / MEID of the device and matches it. A special "1984" (that's really what they call it!) mode is activated if you are using the riders app as a partner. They're also detecting this through numerous other ways, though I do not know the specifics (I am an ex-employee, after all).

* If you're a driver using the riders app, irregardless of how many drivers there actually are it will appear full. In fact Uber will actually be replaying historical data for the PREVIOUS weekend in 1984 mode.

* In 1984 mode, if you cancel on your first ride your driver AND rider app is waitlisted for the weekend. Uber's CSRs will review it and determine if you're trying to communicate to other drivers about the strike.

* Any driver found to be advocating for the strike, or promoting the strike will be permanently deactivated. Here is the kicker: Uber is in discussion with Lyft to build a blacklist of drivers they will not onboard. I do not know how discussions are going, but if you get deactivated from striking Lyft can also view you as "high risk" and reject you. Lyft cuts rates all the time and they don't want trouble-causing protestors!

This may come as a surprise to you, it did to me but I have confirmed that negotiations are indeed ongoing. As far as I know this is a very limited partnership in scope and Uber / Lyft still competes with each other fiercely otherwise.

You may ask, how can Uber deactivate you for this? It's simple, they have talked to their legal team and found a clause in the contract:

"Company retains the right to, at any time at Company's sole discretion, deactivate or otherwise restrict you from accessing or using the Driver App or the Uber Services in the event of a violation of this Agreement, your disparagement of Company or any of its Affiliates, your act or omission that causes harm to Company’s or its Affiliates’ brand, reputation or business as determined by Company in its sole discretion."

Section 2.4 of the Partner Agreement.

Many Uber employees read this forum and I know after posting this post they won't be discussing any of it on the Hipchat room. I have non-terminating NDAs with Uber and I cannot risk compromising my identity or my current job, so I am not going to screenshot any of the chat logs for you. But you've been notified.

Good luck out there.

PS: Uber employees work harder than you, drivers. It's almost 10 PM here in SF and the majority of people are still online and working.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Cool story bro. I'd be working hard too if I were getting paid millions to exploit others. Sounds like a fun job. Deactivate me for all I care, clowns.

Tell your buddies to read this: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws

Btw it's kinda obvious this post was prepared by Travis Kalanicks task force to strike back on protesters. Clearly they've got under his skin. That in itself makes it all worth it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
* If you're a driver using the riders app, irregardless of how many drivers there actually are it will appear full. In fact Uber will actually be replaying historical data for the PREVIOUS weekend in 1984 mode.
It's regardless. Anyways, good job at scaring the gullible especially with your authentic user ID,and for better effect I suggest you should have the "U" as your avatar. That said,Now,let's step into the shoes of rival Lyft and see what they think about the strike...."YAY",welcome aboard drivers, screw Uber and it's policies,we care more for our partner/drivers....We need you!!! It's simple dog eat dog world and they have one and only one motive ie, "Growth",at any cost. And I doubt any of their so called minimum waged employee has the means of knowing what's going on in the conference chamber at the think-tank. Well,even my 3rd grader assumes that the strike could cause mass deactivation. Let me also bring this up,as a company both Uber and Lyft fight over driver supremacy by investing millions of $$$ in various referrals to lure new drivers to wear their dress code only to mass deactivate them.From business point of view that would be chopping the branch of the tree you're sitting on.Not so bright.. Maybe you still don't know why you're an EX. But nonetheless I appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh my lord, what is wrong with yiu guys. He may be a troll but what if he isnt and just trying to help? You guys have no proof of either so dont go assuming the negative already. Just thank him and be on the lookout. Its no wonder why Uber takes advantage of you guys.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If Uber and Lyft are really collaborating as you describe, I'm pretty sure they are in for serious antitrust legal problems. I doubt their smart legal teams would permit this.
Apple has a smart legal team and they got busted big time for price fixing eBooks with publishers. They had to pay back like $60m to customers. It's not always about the law, it can be about deniability.

Anyway, I do get your point, and it would be really stupid for Uber and Lyft to collude in such a manner. Not arguing, just stream of consciousness stuff.

Oh yeah, there was the Google, Apple, someone else anti-trust lawsuit they all lost over their anti-poaching agreement to deflate salaries.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Read between the lines.
As I have said, you guys have no proof of whether his statements are false or true so please hold back judgement. You guys are only speculating. Thats why people have trials and court hearings to prevent the the innocent from being falsely senteneced.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As I have said, you guys have no proof of whether his statements are false or true so please hold back judgement. You guys are only speculating. Thats why people have trials and court hearings to prevent the the innocent from being falsely senteneced.
Evidence Please or he gets sentenced:p

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh my lord, what is wrong with yiu guys. He may be a troll but what if he isnt and just trying to help? You guys have no proof of either so dont go assuming the negative already. Just thank him and be on the lookout. Its no wonder why Uber takes advantage of you guys.
Why would Lyft assist Uber with anything? In DC Lyfts' main objective is to steal all of Ubers' passengers. Seems this is Christmas in Oct. for Lyft.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Why would Lyft assist Uber with anything? In DC Lyfts' main objective is to steal all of Ubers' passengers. Seems this is Christmas in Oct. for Lyft.
Who knows. Companies do weird shit all the time. Maybe Uber striked a deal with Lyft that possibly benefited them somewhow. Maybe he is a troll but who knows. My point is we dont know for certain so please just be civil. We are all adults here. Once his statements are reveales to be lies, bash him all you want. I will join in too, but for now, no need to bash him already

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have left Uber a long time ago, however the office grapevine never leaves you (especially at Uber). We ex-Ubers have access to a room on Hipchat. Uber employees are preparing for a "Black Weekend" where they plan on deactivating as many drivers as necessary in order to get anyone who strikes off the platform, permanently. Lyft is also possibly collaborating with Uber to blacklist striking drivers.

Uber management and employees think that ungrateful drivers are a liability and should not drive for Uber. They are seeing this strike as an opportunity to weed out as many drivers as they need to.

Here are changes to the partner apps in 3.57:

* Twilio voice recording has been activated. All calls are now retained, and Uber is using the Twilio speech-to-text transcript feature to detect any mentions of "strike", "uber freedom", etc. Matching snippets are sent to a CSR for an immediate review. Uber is bringing on board additional CSRs (through ZeroChaos) to handle "Black Weekend". Most aren't told they're working for uber.

* Texting a driver with the word "strike" will automatically reject the message (it won't be relayed to the driver) and lock your abilities to call/text any driver until a Uber CSR reviews your texts.

* The rider and partner app now uploads the IMEI / MEID of the device and matches it. A special "1984" (that's really what they call it!) mode is activated if you are using the riders app as a partner. They're also detecting this through numerous other ways, though I do not know the specifics (I am an ex-employee, after all).

* In 1984 mode, if you cancel on your first ride your driver AND rider app is waitlisted for the weekend. Uber's CSRs will review it and determine if you're trying to communicate to other drivers about the strike.

* Any driver found to be advocating for the strike, or promoting the strike will be permanently deactivated. Here is the kicker: Uber is in discussion with Lyft to build a blacklist of drivers they will not onboard. I do not know how discussions are going, but if you get deactivated from striking Lyft can also view you as "high risk" and reject you. Lyft cuts rates all the time and they don't want trouble-causing protestors!

This may come as a surprise to you, it did to me but I have confirmed that negotiations are indeed ongoing. As far as I know this is a very limited partnership in scope and Uber / Lyft still competes with each other fiercely otherwise.

You may ask, how can Uber deactivate you for this? It's simple, they have talked to their legal team and found a clause in the contract:

"Company retains the right to, at any time at Company's sole discretion, deactivate or otherwise restrict you from accessing or using the Driver App or the Uber Services in the event of a violation of this Agreement, your disparagement of Company or any of its Affiliates, your act or omission that causes harm to Company's or its Affiliates' brand, reputation or business as determined by Company in its sole discretion."

Section 2.4 of the Partner Agreement.

Many Uber employees read this forum and I know after posting this post they won't be discussing any of it on the Hipchat room. I have non-terminating NDAs with Uber and I cannot risk compromising my identity or my current job, so I am not going to screenshot any of the chat logs for you. But you've been notified.

Good luck out there.

PS: Uber employees work harder than you, drivers. It's almost 10 PM here in SF and the majority of people are still online and working.
I find your lack of faith disturbing

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓███████▓▒░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░▓██████▓▓▓▓▓██████▓░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░████▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░███▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓██▒░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██▓░░░░░░
░░░░▒██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░
░░░░██░░░▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▓███▓░░█▓░░░░
░░░██░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▓███████▓░█▒░░░
░░██░▒███████▓▒▒░░░░░░░░▒██████████▓▓█░░░
░░█░▒██████████▓░░░░░░░▒██████▓▒▒▓██░██░░