Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a ping to pickup a pax at Mega bus terminal in Chicago on Canal Str and Van Buren Ave around 12am Friday night. Usually, I don't Uber anytime after midnight but this Friday was exceptional 'cos I've been on the road for 12hrs and made a little over $150 (below my goal). I was hoping this ride will be to the burbs which will probably push me close to my goal.

Anyways, I arrived at the bus terminal there was no bus or anyone in sight, 3mins into my wait I called the rider he said he's on the bus and would be there in a min. He sounded pretty aggressive and rude on the phone but I wasn't going to let that deter me from reaching my goal.

He finally showed up, dirty looking with a backpack and he reeks of weed/pot. He settled himself in the front passenger seat and asked me to drive to the most notorious part of Chicago on the West side (Independence blvd and N.Hamlin). At 12am! A thug in my car, I know it's about to get down.

I started to have conversation with him, make him feel like a gentleman. I noticed he was looking at me, my phone and around the inside of my car with the corner of his eyes, I was doing the same ( I was in my flight mode). Honestly, I was scared as sh**t and sweating all over. Half way into the ride, as dark as it was he noticed the watch I was wearing. At that moment I taught I was getting robbed 'cos he kept putting his hands in his pocket and touching his backpack which he had on the floor. Thank goodness, I dropped him off with no occurence.

What if he pulled out a gun, what will you do? Put up a fight or just let him have his way? Advice please!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
They don't allow dash cam?

I use a dual cam cam and I'm carrying. If I get in an a no fault accident, car jacked, hurt or killed what would I need Uber for.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I use a dual cam cam and I'm carrying. If I get in an a no fault accident, car jacked, hurt or killed what would I need Uber for.
Thanks SECOTIME, I'll be shopping for one right away.

·
Banned
4,609 Posts

He was rude and aggressive on the phone that's enough for me for a cancel also some dirty slob walking to my car that's also enough of a cancel for me

To me it sounds like you were more interested in your goal than your safety

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He was rude and aggressive on the phone that's enough for me for a cancel also some dirty slob walking to my car that's also enough of a cancel for me
You are completely right on a very good day, I'll cancel but Travis make us slave. If the rates was more than 0.90c a mile I won't be on the road for that long.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
If he pulled a gun you have a couple choices, either way you may or may not get shot.

1) comply with everything he says.
2) hit the gas, get up to a really good speed, ensure your seatbelt is on and let him know you are gonna crash, either of you may or may not survive, or he can toss the gun and you will let him jump out as you slow the car down.

These people usually value their own lives not others so knowing he has a good chance of dying if you do hit something full speed is a good deterrent. You may also get the attention of cops.

Cancelling prior would have been the smart thing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I carry every day and I also have a dash cam running (inside and outside). Next time trust your gut and not even pick up the rider. Or cancel after the call. In your specific example, if the pax did "hijack" you - give him exactly what he wants. No material possession is worth dying over. If he pulls a gun or a knife, there is no way you will be able to pull yours in time. The best course of action is to stop the vehicle as quickly as you can and exit the vehicle. The other thing I do is if I am worried about the rider, when I arrive, I get out of the car so I can stand face to face with the passenger and make an assessment. I have a large maglite in my hand (if its night). Much better to assess and then decline the ride right there, than when he/she is in the car.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's called conceal carry for a reason. No one should know you're armed until it's to late for them.
It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by six
Easier said than done. Lets say the average concealed carry position is right hip. You are driving, seat belt on. Pax pulls either a knife or gun and threatens you. Unless you are very well trained, you are not going to be able to maintain composure, release seat belt, remove firearm and be in a position to take positive action. Things will be moving too quickly. In my humble opinion, the best course of action is to comply with all demands and get the vehicle to a stopped position where you can get out of the car. One, it will provide cover and two, you can assess the situation where you can either stay and defend yourself or run or let the guy take the car (best outcome). 9 times out of 10 they will want the car or your personal possessions. All of those things can be replaced.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts