Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Kennedy Simone and I'm a reporter for the Columbia Missourian. I'm working on a story about people using Uber instead of ambulances to get to the emergency room. Would any local drivers like to share their experience with that?

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
I've done one in almost 5,000 rideshare rides.....we also have a hell a lot of top notch hospitals here in my market, so not that common here.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Hello! My name is Kennedy Simone and I'm a reporter for the Columbia Missourian. I'm working on a story about people using Uber instead of ambulances to get to the emergency room. Would any local drivers like to share their experience with that?
Hello Kennedy

If you are looking for responses specifically to your area, you may want to try the STL message board on this site under "US Cities." I am in the Seattle area and have been driving UBER/LYFT for 1 year. During that span, I have had numerous drop offs and pickups from area hospitals, but none specifically related to transporting patients to the emergency room.

Best of luck in your research.

Ribak from Seattle.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If someone goes to the ER I don't know if they're a patient and it's not my place to ask. They could be going just to wait with or for a patient.

But if someone is in labor, having chest pains, can't breathe, or needs to be carried they're not coming with me, no more than I would take a puking drunk being carried into my van.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
If someone goes to the ER I don't know if they're a patient and it's not my place to ask. They could be going just to wait with or for a patient.

But if someone is in labor, having chest pains, can't breathe, or needs to be carried they're not coming with me, no more than I would take a puking drunk being carried into my van.
Did that last night...8>)

Rakos
Primate Organism Grey Terrestrial animal Snout

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not local but I did have to take passenger to the ER. My full time job is at the hospital ironically, but not in a patient care role. Picked up the pax and she had the generic address of the hospital so I assumed she was going to visit someone there, as the main lobby entrance is the address she entered. She started coughing a few minutes after the trip started and I asked if she was feeling badly and she responded yes. Seemed like she might have a bad winter cold. Anyway as we got closer to the hospital, I confirmed that she wanted to get off at the main visitor's entrance vs the heart center or the children's hospital or rehab. She replied, "No, I am going to the Emergency Room". It was a shock and I realized that she could have been pretty bad off. But because I work in healthcare, I also know that indigent population without health insurance will frequently use the ER similarly to a primary care physician as public hospitals cannot turn people away, regardless of their ability to pay. Was lucky she wasn't deathly sick and she was able to get out of the car on her own and walk into the ER.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've taken several fares to ER's. Every one was a nurse beginning their shift. Pretty sure I won't be taking someone in need of treatment there anyway,- don't want the liability, or the blood on my interior.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I recently had a pickup at the ER, but when I got there, the pax was busy flipping off 5 cops getting ready to take him down. He then called me on the phone asking me where the hell I was, like I was going to be his getaway driver. It would have been an adventure to get involved, but I chose the easy way out and ate the cancel.

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
Just took 2 men last evening. One had a florescent light bulb explode in his bung hole.
They were kind enough to bring a shower curtain to lay over the back seat.
Guy was wrapped in a sheet. Thought I was taking him to a Toga Party, instead took him to the ER.
I guess those hot light bulbs are just irresistible lol

I recently had a pickup at the ER, but when I got there, the pax was busy flipping off 5 cops getting ready to take him down. He then called me on the phone asking me where the hell I was, like I was going to be his getaway driver. It would have been an adventure to get involved, but I chose the easy way out and ate the cancel.
I think you didn't take advantage of the opportunity to get a LATE NIGHT HERO badge

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
I had a ping once. The pax got in and I started the trip. The destination was the local ER. I drove the pax to the ER and he got out.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not local but had an elderly lady with an obvious dislocated or fractured shoulder wanting to go to a doc in the box..i talked her into changing that idea and go to an ER (more appropriate care and shorter ride)

btw..she didn't tip so in the future Ill be sure to not look out for the best interests of anyone but me. Thanks Uber!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
NBC affiliate in Minneapolis just did a news piece on this if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.kare11.com/article/news/report-more-people-calling-lyft-uber-instead-of-911/89-527952871

One thing that stuck out to me was this:

Roberts says that cheaper option for passengers could put drivers at risk, facing serious legal liability.

"If there is somebody who is suffering grave bodily harm and the driver willingly, knowingly offers them help, there are a set of duties that accrue in which you cannot leave someone in a worse condition than which you found them," said Roberts.

The situation can leave drivers stuck, if they accept the passenger - they could face legal responsibility for them.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.