Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I'm a relatively new driver, and a new member of this board. I heard about new MWAA regulations that were voted on yesterday and came here to see if there was any additional info, but couldn't find anything.

The important parts:
  • $4 fee for each trip to and from IAD and DCA - likely tacked onto the passenger.
  • Mandatory MWAA permits for TNC operators.
  • Time limit for TNC lot usage (60 minutes free, $3 for every 15 min after

From Washington Business Journal:
Under the new regulations, ride-hailing services will be allowed to drop off and receive passengers at the airports only if drivers hold a permit from MWAA. Rides to and from the airports would also be subject to a $4 fee, something that could be added to a passenger's bill.

Companies like Lyft and Uber would pay a one-time $5,000 fee per company for the new permit to operate on airport premises .
From Washington City Paper:
TNC drivers can now wait up to one hour in DWAs at both airports before being charged $3 for each additional 15 minutes they wait in them.
All of this takes effect November 1.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
WOW
hopefully the passenger pays the $4,driver still should get part of that fee,but im sure they wont
MWAA permits? more big ass stickers to put on the window? probably costs to get that permit too jeesh
charging just to wait for $1/mile ride? $3 every 15min lol? you're going to break even after paying that and getting an average fare from the airport
total fail

Unless you're UberBlack and wait 60min or less
trolling for UberX airport rides just doesnt seem worth it
yall can have that

·
26,804 Posts
WTOP's website has an article on it, but as of the last time that I read it, the only thing that it mentions is the four dollar fee.

Dulles already has its set-aside yard for TNC drivers. National has not yet set aside a space.

National always has had something set aside for the cab drivers to line up. This costs money. Thus, National exacts a toll from a driver who uses the cab line. The driver can recover that toll from his passenger. I do not know what the current cab toll is, but if it is four dollars, then having a TNC or a driver pay the same toll is not out of line. If the cab toll is two dollars, let the TNC or driver pay two dollars. Let the TNC hit the passenger's card for the toll.

The TNC driver is doing the same thing that the cab driver is. Why should he not pay the same thing that the cab driver pays?

A cab driver must secure a special licence to work the line at National. This is a licence for the driver as opposed to the vehicle. I suspect that licencing the vehicle for the TNCs is simply an easier way to go for the WMAA's purposes. There is a test for the cab driver, but, as I understand it, it is a very basic test. As I understand it, the TNC vehicle, not the driver, will be licenced. It is rather difficult for a vehicle to write even the most basic of geography tests. The bottom line is that if the cab driver must get some sort of licence, there is nothing wrong with requiring the TNC driver to do similar.

The major legitimate gripe that the cab business has with the regulators, governments and TNCs is that the TNCs compete with little, if any regulation, while the cab drivers and companies must compete with overregulation. At least the WMAA is showing a balanced approach.

·
Registered
776 Posts
WTOP's website has an article on it, but as of the last time that I read it, the only thing that it mentions is the four dollar fee.

National always has had something set aside for the cab drivers to line up. This costs money. Thus, National exacts a toll from a driver who uses the cab line. The driver can recover that toll from his passenger. I do not know what the current cab toll is, but if it is four dollars, then having a TNC or a driver pay the same toll is not out of line.
As I understand it, cab drivers at National pay a fee to pick up passengers there. But not to drop-off. The media reports quoted above imply that TNC cars would have to pay in both cases.

How sensible is it to charge to drop-off ? How will the cost recovery of the fee for a drop-off be implemented by Uber, given that passengers are not required to always enter a destination in the app ?

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
How sensible is it to charge to drop-off ? How will the cost recovery of the fee for a drop-off be implemented by Uber, given that passengers are not required to always enter a destination in the app ?
yeah it seems to avoid a $5 surcharge to not enter a destination, get in the car, and then just tell the driver to go to the airport.
Oh, and the pax must tell the driver to not put the address in the app either
wont turn out too well if the person doesnt know how to get there from where they pick the pax up though

·
26,804 Posts
As I understand it, cab drivers at National pay a fee to pick up passengers there. But not to drop-off. The media reports quoted above imply that TNC cars would have to pay in both cases.
How sensible is it to charge to drop-off ? How will the cost recovery of the fee for a drop-off be implemented by Uber,
I did not get that out of WTOP's article, but WTOP might have updated it since I posted mine. Charging on both ends would be unfair to the TNC drivers, as cab drivers do not pay to drop off at National or Dulles.

I would expect that Uber would draw a "geo-line" (is there such a word in Newspeak? We have "geo-fence") around National. If any driver crosses it, the customer gets a surcharge. Here is a drawback, though. The fastest and most direct route to many desinations in Old Town Alexandria from many Crystal City addresses involves going over the viaduct that crosses US 1, but turning toward the GW parkway where the road forks toward the terminals. Thus, an UberX driver who knows what he is doing in Virginia, would take that route, regardless of what the application might suggest. Further, the Uber user would get burned on the trip, because his driver crossed the "geo-line" even though the user did not disembark at National Airport.

yeah it seems to avoid a $5 surcharge to not enter a destination, get in the car, and then just tell the driver to go to the airport.
Oh, and the pax must tell the driver to not put the address in the app either

wont turn out too well if the person doesnt know how to get there from where they pick the pax up though
See above reply to "uberdriver".

The last quoted phrase, Sirrah, is what earned my like to your post.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Uber app knows your GPS position and thus knows if you picked up or dropped off at the airport.

Same way it knows you took the toll road and it charged the customer for it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I did not get that out of WTOP's article, but WTOP might have updated it since I posted mine. Charging on both ends would be unfair to the TNC drivers, as cab drivers do not pay to drop off at National or Dulles.
It is currently in the WTOP's article and in the Washington Business Journal's article referenced in Post #1 above.

I would expect that Uber would draw a "geo-line" (is there such a word in Newspeak? We have "geo-fence") around National. If any driver crosses it, the customer gets a surcharge. Here is a drawback, though. The fastest and most direct route to many desinations in Old Town Alexandria from many Crystal City addresses involves going over the viaduct that crosses US 1, but turning toward the GW parkway where the road forks toward the terminals. Thus, an UberX driver who knows what he is doing in Virginia, would take that route, regardless of what the application might suggest. Further, the Uber user would get burned on the trip, because his driver crossed the "geo-line" even though the user did not disembark at National Airport.
Very good point. This is like a driver that wants to get his passenger in the fastest way possible to the destination has to go in and out of Virginia to go from certain SE and SW locations to certain NW locations in DC (and Googlemaps concurs with this tactic).

·
Registered
631 Posts
There are only a hand full of address a rider starts from at Dulles. If it's one of those, tack on 4$. Seems simple to me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts