Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read about the light plane crash at DFO Essendon and my overwhelming reaction is anger. I grew up in the area and distinctly remember the night a Cessna lost power just after take off and crashed into a home in Matthews Avenue, killing 6 members of a family. The father, a shift worker, returned from his shift to find his entire family dead and the house destroyed. I remember the local priest administering last rites to corpses, the fear this created and it was followed a couple of years later by another such incident that resulted in fewer deaths. Then Linfox, the state government, the local council and greedy companies all got amnesia. Built a shopping centre, supermarkets, offices, a new hotel and convention centre all inside the precinct of an airport. Where aircraft-some of them piloted by people who just have to maintain hours in a simulator in order to fly-come and go, sometimes at high speed. Even had an incident where a Garuda 747 mistook Essendon for Tullamarine and tried to land there, only to be alerted at the last minute. All the while, corporate and government greed allowed more and more to be built INSIDE the airport. Now, what I feared would happen has. In the last few weeks I've had pax and gone past there many times and mentioned my concern to a few. I hate the fact that my concerns were right. Linfox, Moonee Valley Council, state government. This is what happens when you jointly allow "multiple usage development". People die. Close every shop and accommodation facility.

·
Banned
644 Posts
Ok... This was a terrible tradgety however no one on the ground died... Unfortunately this is the price you pay for living in a large city... A plane can come down anywhere anytime.
Overall the fatalities from aviation accidents in Australia are extremely low...
This is very sad but the people who died today would have died if there was an empty field there too...
RIP to the pour souls!!!

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True but it is only by virtue of timing that more people were not killed. Multi use buildings, privately piloted planes, aviation fuel, thousands of families with children inside an airport precinct every weekend do not go together.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Sad but true HBT :( It's gutwrenching to hear of this crash but sadly somewhat inevitable.

I grew up in the flight path of Moorabbin airport which used to have a decent buffer zone but is now very developed all around too.

It amazes me that given the risk Essendon is still allowed to operate. Sell it for housing and build a 3rd runway at Tulla for smaller planes.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
True but it is only by virtue of timing that more people were not killed. Multi use buildings, privately piloted planes, aviation fuel, thousands of families with children inside an airport precinct every weekend do not go together.
Just so tragic and yes imagine if two hours later . My oldest daughter got her pilots licence at morrabbin airport many years ago. On her first solo she encounter smoke in the cockpit. Lucky she held her nerve and did land safley. Yet i often think about if that aircraft had exploded into a house or whatever. Very pleased she gave it away! My thoughts are very much with the familys right now.

·
Banned
4,250 Posts
Just read about the light plane crash at DFO Essendon and my overwhelming reaction is anger. I grew up in the area and distinctly remember the night a Cessna lost power just after take off and crashed into a home in Matthews Avenue, killing 6 members of a family. The father, a shift worker, returned from his shift to find his entire family dead and the house destroyed. I remember the local priest administering last rites to corpses, the fear this created and it was followed a couple of years later by another such incident that resulted in fewer deaths. Then Linfox, the state government, the local council and greedy companies all got f*&king amnesia. Built a shopping centre, supermarkets, offices, a new hotel and convention centre all inside the precinct of an airport. Where aircraft-some of them piloted by people who just have to maintain hours in a simulator in order to fly-come and go, sometimes at high speed. Even had an incident where a Garuda 747 mistook Essendon for Tullamarine and tried to land there, only to be alerted at the last minute. All the while, corporate and government greed allowed more and more to be built INSIDE the airport. Now, what I feared would happen has. In the last few weeks I've had pax and gone past there many times and mentioned my concern to a few. I hate the fact that my concerns were right. F*#k you Linfox, f*#k you Moonee Valley Council, f*#k you state government. This is what happens when you jointly allow "multiple usage development". People die. Close every shop and accommodation facility.
Terrible thing happened, it was just freak accident.
There been hundreds landings and takes off from Essendon daily in last 30 years with no issues whatsoever.
If we start thinking that we than we really should not fly or drive.
If you ever flown to Hong Kong before they opened new airport,you could of seen people's washing drying on their balconies from plane.
I don't think that they should close compilite airport because this accident or the one that happend 30 years ago,they have good track record really.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
I've had a few flying lessons in light aircraft, and what the pilot - Max Quartermain - did appears to be nothing short of extreme bravery. There's a term in aviation - the impossible turn. It basically refers to the situation that seems to have happened here - loss of power during takeoff. Most pilots agree that in a light aircraft you need to have 1,000 feet or 300m of altitude to enable you to have any chance to turn around without power and land on the runway that you've just left. This plane was clearly nowhere near that altitude. Max chose the option of crashing into the roof of a warehouse - remember he knew this airfield really well and would have planned for this scenario mentally - knowing that the DFO didn't open until 10am. If he hadn't banked steeply left, he might not have cleared the freeway which was choked with cars, or he would have crashed into shops, homes and factories in his flight (crash landing) path. The crash investigators will determine why he lost power. I just salute this brave guy who took the heroic option rather than potentially killing lots more as he hit the ground. Just saying, we all travel on that road regularly, think of Max's bravery next time you pass.

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
I've had a few flying lessons in light aircraft, and what the pilot - Max Quartermain - did appears to be nothing short of extreme bravery. There's a term in aviation - the impossible turn. It basically refers to the situation that seems to have happened here - loss of power during takeoff. Most pilots agree that in a light aircraft you need to have 1,000 feet or 300m of altitude to enable you to have any chance to turn around without power and land on the runway that you've just left. This plane was clearly nowhere near that altitude. Max chose the option of crashing into the roof of a warehouse - remember he knew this airfield really well and would have planned for this scenario mentally - knowing that the DFO didn't open until 10am. If he hadn't banked steeply left, he might not have cleared the freeway which was choked with cars, or he would have crashed into shops, homes and factories in his flight (crash landing) path. The crash investigators will determine why he lost power. I just salute this brave guy who took the heroic option rather than potentially killing lots more as he hit the ground. Just saying, we all travel on that road regularly, think of Max's bravery next time you pass.
Correct...but if DFO wasn't there, nor the large concrete ad towers....he would have succeeded.
He cleared the freeway, and if it was 1930, would have had a chance crash landing on the airfield.

·
Premium Member
10,990 Posts
Was on the news here in LA.

·
Banned
4,250 Posts
Correct...but if DFO wasn't there, nor the large concrete ad towers....he would have succeeded.
He cleared the freeway, and if it was 1930, would have had a chance crash landing on the airfield.
Maybe or maybe not,I am sure that it would be something else there,as I mentioned before there has been clear track record with Essendon airport in last 30 years.
You can argue same thing about every accident.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
From what I've seen his only good option would have been if he was taking off at say Moorabbin and had a golf course or paddocks to crash land in within a 60 degree arc in front of him (that's what I'm being trained to look for). The structure of the DFO is unfortunately immaterial as his bank was too steep and altitude too low, he literally would have run out of room from what I can see, as it is he crashed really close to the freeway, however, who knows eh? If it happened in 1930 the technology, design, build etc of the planes would have been more primitive and this sort of event would be happening regularly, not just one in 10, 20 or 30 years (I realise there have been others at Essendon, but this is the worst for 30 years according to the Premier). Air crash investigators will sieve through this as they do. He crashed. Five died. Could have been many more. RIP.

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
Maybe or maybe not,I am sure that it would be something else there,as I mentioned before there has been clear track record with Essendon airport in last 30 years.
You can argue same thing about every accident.
That's exactly the point.

DFO.. or any other structure,should never have been built WITHIN airfield grounds, and meters from 2 runways.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
A terrible day. As you say he is to be saluted. I live due south of Essendon Airport and there is no open space to speak of in a line between here and there. The pilot would have known that so probably thought his best and only chance was to return to the airport. So sad that he didn't make it.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
A terrible day. As you say he is to be saluted. I live due south of Essendon Airport and there is no open space to speak of in a line between here and there. The pilot would have known that so probably thought his best and only chance was to return to the airport. So sad that he didn't make it.
Go to you tube and search "aviation impossible turn". You'll see what I'm talking about. Below 300m he had no chance of making the turn, sadly IMHO, sacrificed himself and his pax for the greater good.

·
Banned
4,250 Posts
That's exactly the point.

DFO.. or any other structure,should never have been built WITHIN airfield grounds, and meters from 2 runways.
Hm as I said freak accident for sure.
As far as I am concerned nothing wrong with DFO there and airport,if on other hand we would have same thing happening more often than it would be complete different story.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just read about the light plane crash at DFO Essendon and my overwhelming reaction is anger. I grew up in the area and distinctly remember the night a Cessna lost power just after take off and crashed into a home in Matthews Avenue, killing 6 members of a family. The father, a shift worker, returned from his shift to find his entire family dead and the house destroyed. I remember the local priest administering last rites to corpses, the fear this created and it was followed a couple of years later by another such incident that resulted in fewer deaths. Then Linfox, the state government, the local council and greedy companies all got amnesia. Built a shopping centre, supermarkets, offices, a new hotel and convention centre all inside the precinct of an airport. Where aircraft-some of them piloted by people who just have to maintain hours in a simulator in order to fly-come and go, sometimes at high speed. Even had an incident where a Garuda 747 mistook Essendon for Tullamarine and tried to land there, only to be alerted at the last minute. All the while, corporate and government greed allowed more and more to be built INSIDE the airport. Now, what I feared would happen has. In the last few weeks I've had pax and gone past there many times and mentioned my concern to a few. I hate the fact that my concerns were right. Linfox, Moonee Valley Council, state government. This is what happens when you jointly allow "multiple usage development". People die. Close every shop and accommodation facility.
Omg plane was shot down five dead Melbourne Australia

1 - 20 of 24 Posts