Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email from Uber crowing about how cheap Uber fares are. The email announced that Uber fares are 40% cheaper than cab fares.

So let's see, 40% of a cab fare-25% commission (for new drivers) - gas and maintenance = close to zero income. I don't understand the reasoning behind Uber setting the drives up for economic failure. Self drive cars are not coming tomorrow. Churn and burn only works for so long. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to understand the complexities of this - who knows.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I received an email from Uber crowing about how cheap Uber fares are. The email announced that Uber fares are 40% cheaper than cab fares.

So let's see, 40% of a cab fare-25% commission (for new drivers) - gas and maintenance = close to zero income. I don't understand the reasoning behind Uber setting the drives up for economic failure. Self drive cars are not coming tomorrow. Churn and burn only works for so long. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to understand the complexities of this - who knows.
Companies can't cut their way to profitability.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Let's work it out.

Assuming $0.28 / mile operating cost

IRS Tax deduction adds about ~$0.13 / mile

Per mile rate: $1.23 / mile

After 25% Uber commission: $0.9225 / mile
After operating costs: $0.6425 / mile earnings

Not hard to make a profit!
Chicago's rates are not $1.23 per mile they are .90 cents

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
glados operating costs are more than $0.28

When I was doing uberx the cost was around $0.50. City driving is very hard on your car. Stop and go kills your car. $0.90. -25% = $0.67

After operating expenses $0.67-$0.50= $0.17
Yay!!! 17 cents a mile profit... Oh wait, what about dead miles? So basically you're donating your car to uber.

Maybe you can squeeze a little profit if you're driving an older highly economical car. Otherwise this job is for suckers!!

Uber on!!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
View attachment 13824
glados cant work on it because...wait for it
Well, for One she's a dipshit robot. For Two, based in Aussie land and doesn't know squat about our US markets. And Three, believes lowering rates increases parnter earnings. If anything she should be lobbying for Aussie rates to drop to .$75/mi. so all those drivers there can benefit from these great "increased partner earnings". What a tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts