Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Former driver but I still use the app for rides. Anywho I just received this email from Uber about a potential sales tax increase that will make riders pay more and drivers earn less, I'm guessing so they don't have to come out of pocket but idk. Anyway does anyone know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The Georgia Department of Revenue thinks existing laws say Uber/Lyft are currently sales tax delinquent.

Uber says existing sales tax laws do not apply to this industry, as written.

The Georgia legislative body has been asked by the Georgia Department of Revenue to clarify the sales tax regulations regarding the ride share apps.

Uber wants to protect the working poor and keep rides affordable for them.

Greedy tax collectors want a sales tax from every ride-sharing app trip.

Some riders and some drivers will be adversely affected when the costs for trips go up.

Some politicians want to clarify the issue with the highest ride share sales tax in the U.S.

·
Registered
180 Posts
OMG! How about we abolish all taxes and become a third world country! Pay your freaking tax and vote any politician if they don't do the right thing.

No tax = no military...no roads....no police...no fire.....give a rest with the no tax BS.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
OMG! How about we abolish all taxes and become a third world country! Pay your freaking tax and vote any politician if they don't do the right thing.

No tax = no military...no roads....no police...no fire.....give a rest with the no tax BS.
Who said no tax?

I didn't and neither does this Uber email.

Where do you want them to start at? 20%? Whatever 'because we can' rate they want?

I said greedy because they want to start at the highest tax rate ever.

Start at 30 cents a ride, not 8.9%.

How come you can't comprehend that a 8.9% sales tax rate will give drivers fewer pings?

This thread title is misleading, it isn't a sales tax increasing, it is a sales tax starting point.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I got the same email from Lyft. This is the frighten the driver bit...."This means passengers could soon pay significantly more for every Lyft ride, leading to fewer trips and lower driver earnings. If passed, this tax would take over $30M out of the pockets of Georgia drivers." I read this as "if we're responsible for a sales tax we will deduct it from driver pay instead of passing it on to the customer

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I got the same email from Lyft. This is the frighten the driver bit...."This means passengers could soon pay significantly more for every Lyft ride, leading to fewer trips and lower driver earnings. If passed, this tax would take over $30M out of the pockets of Georgia drivers." I read this as "if we're responsible for a sales tax we will deduct it from driver pay instead of passing it on to the customer
It means higher prices = fewer pings.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
If people still took flights when most airlines started charging for every checked bags on domestic flights, when transit raises fares, people still drive when gas and insurance cost rise, then they're still going to use rideshare if it's available. These companies will promote false expectations to push their agenda. I started driving summer of 2015, and I'm still trying to see how I supposedly earn more now from the fare reductions done since. More trips might equal more gross revenue, but it also equals much less profit per trip (something they don't care about cause they're not carrying the cost to provide the service, WE ARE!).

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
You’re not really going to buy their propaganda are you?
Fear of an increase???
No.
Every business that operates must collect.
Think about it. They don’t even have a business license in some of the markets they operate in.
They just don’t want to report their numbers. Being that they have a long history of not reporting /accounting accurately ,this might actually be the nail in the long run.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Any sales tax of any kind whether city, state or federal is nothing short of a legal confiscatory practice laid upon the neck of the consumer like a yoke and ALWAYS hurts the lower income earners in a greater percentage of their income. I will leave you with this question. Why should you be taxed to purchase anything?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
So this will make the slow hours slower, but have no affect on the busy hours.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Georgia Department of Revenue thinks existing laws say Uber/Lyft are currently sales tax delinquent.

The Georgia legislative body has been asked by the Georgia Department of Revenue to clarify the sales tax regulations regarding the ride share apps.

Some riders and some drivers will be adversely affected when the costs for trips go up.

Some politicians want to clarify the issue with the highest ride share sales tax in the U.S.
Uber wants to protect the working poor? Then why do they pay us chump change? They're not interested in anything but taking money from the poor and wasting it. I'm pretty sure I'd believe the Dept of Revenue before I'd believe Uber.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Former driver but I still use the app for rides. Anywho I just received this email from Uber about a potential sales tax increase that will make riders pay more and drivers earn less, I'm guessing so they don't have to come out of pocket but idk. Anyway does anyone know anything about this? View attachment 306154
Uber is full of garbage. They have totally screwed the driver with the introduction of the new upfront pricing. There used to be somewhat of a split where Uber got 20% and the driver got 80% or Uber got 25% and the driver got 75% of the fare. With this new pricing I have seen trips where the passenger told me they were paying $28 and when I looked at how much I got paid it was like $17... Uber was making almost as much money as me. So this tax concerned is only out of greed because if Uber was decent they would take it out of their share of the ride because they're making way more than they originally said they were supposed to with this upfront pricing. Tax or no tax it should not affect the driver. We are the ones doing all of the work which keeps them Filthy Rich. Take it out of their end. Life is funny isn't it? Uber scams and cheats the driver and now the government wants to scam and cheat Uber..LOL how does it feel Uber?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Uber does not want to protect the working poor by keeping fares low they want to protect their bottom line and IPO by undercutting taxi services' pricing a d driver pay. if a taxi company has to pay tax than Uber and Lyft does too. They do not deserve corporate welfare in the form of no taxation especially when they're outright stealing from drivers anyway and not paying employee benefits.

In fact, because of the upcoming IPO Uber is stealing from drivers because they have no other real way to raise money. Uber isn't profitable because they have to pay drivers so now they're deciding to steal and hope most of is won't notice. Everyone knows this. This is my last weekend driving because they will continue this stealing until they come up with driverless technology. We cannot file a class action suit so they know they will get away with this. If you continue to drive for Uber, you are almost paying them to drive. This was the case even before the stealing as I recently realized when I did my taxes. I can't believe I fell for it for so long. The following article from The Guardian explains how they are ripping both Drivers and Passengers off:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts