Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I picked up this guy at LAX last night around 10:30pm at 1.9x surge. For those who don't know, LAX is a zoo on Sunday nights, super busy, and the terminals are congested. So right away the guy starts complaining about surge pricing, so I looked at him and said, "Sir, if it wasn't for surge pricing, you would be taking a taxi right now, and it would cost you way more than the 1.9x you are paying." He looks at me dumb founded and I told him no driver is going to drive on a Sunday night in this congested terminal traffic for base pay.

Educate your passengers. Let them know, if it wasn't surging at bar closing, they would either be paying for a taxi (IF THEY COULD FIND ONE), potentially getting a dui, or killing someone in an accident, because without surge pricing, no driver would put up with the drunks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
So I picked up this guy at LAX last night around 10:30pm at 1.9x surge. For those who don't know, LAX is a zoo on Sunday nights, super busy, and the terminals are congested. So right away the guy starts complaining about surge pricing, so I looked at him and said, "Sir, if it wasn't for surge pricing, you would be taking a taxi right now, and it would cost you way more than the 1.9x you are paying." He looks at me dumb founded and I told him no driver is going to drive on the Sunday night in this congested terminal traffic for base pay.

Educate your passengers. Let them know, if it wasn't surging at bar closing, they would either be paying for a taxi (IF THEY COULD FIND ONE), potentially getting a dui, or killing someone in an accident, because without surge pricing, no driver would put up with the drunks.
Get 'em.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
So I picked up this guy at LAX last night around 10:30pm at 1.9x surge. For those who don't know, LAX is a zoo on Sunday nights, super busy, and the terminals are congested. So right away the guy starts complaining about surge pricing, so I looked at him and said, "Sir, if it wasn't for surge pricing, you would be taking a taxi right now, and it would cost you way more than the 1.9x you are paying." He looks at me dumb founded and I told him no driver is going to drive on the Sunday night in this congested terminal traffic for base pay.

Some Pax are just entitled little Aholes. You should have left him on the curb and picked up someone that appreciated your service.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Well said. I have told some pax that too. No driver is willing to drive for those prices. This one guy was bragging how he has only paid a dollar or two for rides. I wanted to punch him in the face with a brick.

·
Registered
221 Posts
last night I picked up a 2.6x on xl at the airport, I knew it was going to be bad, as I was already 11 min away, busy but the surge rate got me. Now this is the 3rd time ever that I drove more than 10 min for a pick up. As I approached I called, verified his location, what color shirt he was wearing, etc. He asks how much will the fare be, I said I don't know did you try the fare estimate tool, he said the option wasn't available (I don't believe him) he asked again what i think it would be, and I said well the base fare is 1.55 mile, where you going, he said laguna niguel, so I proceeded to smile over the phone and say oh I would guess $35 or so on base fare plus the time and surge. He responds, really, $35 that's so much, I said well again I'm not sure but you tell me if you want me to come or not. I pick his ass up, load everything up for his family, ask "you want me take the toll road or not". "Well, I usually take the toll road when I'm on company business and it will be faster". Ok... "so you want me to take the toll, and you know it will add to the trip cost".

Long story short I approach his gated community with a guard house, say my usual it was a pleasure driving you home safely please note that anything less than 5 stars hurts me. I pull all his crap out, look at him for the tip I wasn't expecting but just in case, one star him and drive away. I check out his gross bill, fools trip was $100 gross. SUCKER. On my 30 dead miles back my rating drops as expected.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So I picked up this guy at LAX last night around 10:30pm at 1.9x surge. For those who don't know, LAX is a zoo on Sunday nights, super busy, and the terminals are congested. So right away the guy starts complaining about surge pricing, so I looked at him and said, "Sir, if it wasn't for surge pricing, you would be taking a taxi right now, and it would cost you way more than the 1.9x you are paying." He looks at me dumb founded and I told him no driver is going to drive on a Sunday night in this congested terminal traffic for base pay.

Seriously after 10pm everything should be at a 2x surge automatically. Its like a night differential, we could be home with our families but were driving instead.

·
Registered
300 Posts
last night I picked up a 2.6x on xl at the airport, i new it was going to be bad, as I was already 11 min away, busy but the surge rate got me. Now this is the 3rd time ever that I drove more than 10 min for a pick up. As I approached I called, verified his location, what color shirt he was wearing, etc. He asks how much will the fare be, I said I dont know did you try the fare estimate tool, he said it wasn't available option (I dont believe him) he e to ask what i think it would be, and I said well the base fare is 1.55 mile, where you going, he said laguna niguel, so i proceeded to smile over the phone and say oh I would guess $35 or so on base fare plus what the time and surge. He responds, really, $35 thats so much, I said well again I'm not sure but you tell me if you want me to come or not. I pick his ass up, load everything up for his family, ask you want me take the toll road or not. Well, I usually take the toll road when I'm on company business and it will be faster. Ok so you want me to take the toll, and you know it will add to the trip cost.

Long story short I approach his gated community with a guard house, say my usual it was a pleasure driving you home safely please note that anything less than 5 stars hurts me. I pull all his crap out, look at him for the tip I wasn't expecting but just in case, one star him and drive away. I check out his gross bill, fools trip was $100 gross. SUCKER. On my 30 dead miles back my rating drops as expected.
I love this so much.

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
I thought surge prices are guarantee quoted at the request (X only?)

People want to go out of town, vacation drink on the plane but expect servants there ready with bells on to pick them up for peanuts Sunday Night at 10:30pm.

I still like the guy I took last week a $170 2.6 surge trip to the airport, he goes " my Uber trip was more than my flight!" Dude also tossed me a $20 tip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts